Video ipod tv connector?

megavan

Disciple
What do you call the cable used to connect an ipod to a tv and how much can you get one for? (the cheaper, the merrier :eek:hyeah: )

O'Reilly Network -- Getting the Video out of Your New iPod--for Cheap!

It takes a few steps to connect your iPod to your TV. Start by inserting the A/V cord's eighth-inch plug into your iPod's earphone jack. In it goes, schnickt. Couldn't be easier.

Here's where it gets a little tricky. In order to make your TV play back the iPod signal, you've got to redirect the outputs. You can't just plug the yellow RCA plug into the yellow RCA jack and the red into the red or the white into the white. No. Those geniuses at Apple send the video signal over the red RCA output. (Normally it arrives on yellow.) The sound comes through the white and yellow plugs.

I ended up going to an Apple store and testing this on iPod after iPod. They all have this quirk. It was intentional. But hey, it's proprietary. Woohoo. So here's what you have to do:
Plug the red RCA plug into your TV's yellow RCA jack.
Plug the yellow RCA plug into your TV's white RCA jack.
Plug the white RCA plug into your TV's red RCA jack.

watch it :p

the above is only valid on older ipods. AFAIK, the ipod classic range has the above feature disabled. To get TV-out, you need a proper dock because the video out functionality has been moved to the dock connector. Just another method by apple to make more money by licensing accessories. also the cable/dock cable needs an authentication chip (not sure of this :ashamed:)

do google n make sure of this depending on which ipod u have :)

Thanks, I didn't know that, I have a 5th generation 30GB iPod.

techie_007 said:
watch it :p

the above is only valid on older ipods. AFAIK, the ipod classic range has the above feature disabled. To get TV-out, you need a proper dock because the video out functionality has been moved to the dock connector. Just another method by apple to make more money by licensing accessories. also the cable/dock cable needs an authentication chip (not sure of this :ashamed:)

do google n make sure of this depending on which ipod u have :)

maxme said:
Thanks, I didn't know that, I have a 5th generation 30GB iPod.

then since urs is not a 'classic' you will be ok getting a standard AV out cable. 3.5MM to audio video out. shud be available from most shops..tho a good quality one is recommended for better quality/clarity.

Hi bought one of these cables for the 5th gen ipod from one of the mobile accessories shops in S.P road, Bangalore for just Rs 150. The packing and the cable was a replica of the original!

It's been around an year and this cable hasn't given any problem yet.

Back