Irctc.co.in slow response

viva1986

Disciple
What happened to irctc.co.in? from 7a.m. to 10 10a.m. i am trying to book tickets but still response is very bad. This is the pride site of indian railway and now it is losing its charm.

Better use little bit fast connection during this hours, this is the prime time of railway ticket booking, and servers get slowed, even many lamers try to ddos the site and slow down it in order to slow down ticket booking process, anyway you using which connection ?
<

Better use little bit fast connection during this hours, this is the prime time of railway ticket booking, and servers get slowed, even many lamers try to ddos the site and slow down it in order to slow down ticket booking process, anyway you using which connection ?
<

You seriously need to consider dropping this smiley from every post of yours. It has got absolutely nothing to do with the context. That's a sincere request.

Because there is a typo in that hinglish too..

it is supposed to be asuvidha

anyways, irctc bookings are at peak during year end when everybody wants to exhaust their leaves before the end of the Financial Year. Try during 5-7PM when all these people are busy travelling back home
<

Actually 8 - 10 AM is the time when people try to book Tatkal tickets and hence the site is very slow. If you're not one of the tatkal crowd, try after 10 and you should be able to get through the transcation just fine. If you know the exact train details like the Train no. etc, try the "quick book" option instead of the "Plan my travel" option as its just one form to fill and WAYYYY faster.

Now to your comment on why IRCTC being slow and losing its charm, you should realize that IRCTC is the largest e-commerce site in India having yearly transactions running into 1000s of crores. They continually enhance the server capacity but due to the huge number of people using the railways and the fact that more and more people are now using the net to book their tickets plus that the railway booking counters actually use the same system themselves, its a game of cat & mouse as far as bandwidth goes. The fact that they have been able to maintain a level of service wherein you CAN book your ticket from the comfort of your home within acceptable wait times escpecially given the Indian "Babu" enviornment is nothing less than highly commendable in my books. In fact IRCTC is now in the proces of tying up with major travle portals to offer the booking service through their sites as well to enhance customer sevrice. The service is already live on Cleartrip & Yatra and I think would be live soon on Makemytrip as well.

Faced the same timeouts and errors even yesterday at off peak times as well. Finally ended up booking the ticket from Cleartrip, everything was super smooth!
<
If you don't mind paying the extra Rs 10 - 20 as service charge, I suggest you make the booking from Cleartrip.com

Actually 8 - 10 AM is the time when people try to book Tatkal tickets and hence the site is very slow. If you're not one of the tatkal crowd, try after 10 and you should be able to get through the transcation just fine. If you know the exact train details like the Train no. etc, try the "quick book" option instead of the "Plan my travel" option as its just one form to fill and WAYYYY faster.

They disable quickbook during 8-10AM (atleast for Tatkal they do) : Thats kind of proof that they want to give counters an advantage

Now to your comment on why IRCTC being slow and losing its charm, you should realize that IRCTC is the largest e-commerce site in India having yearly transactions running into 1000s of crores. They continually enhance the server capacity but due to the huge number of people using the railways and the fact that more and more people are now using the net to book their tickets plus that the railway booking counters actually use the same system themselves,

No, the backend may be same, but their systems are MUCH faster than IRCTC's interface

(and the seat is booked before instead of after payment so seats dont disapear during booking)

its a game of cat & mouse as far as bandwidth goes. The fact that they have been able to maintain a level of service wherein you CAN book your ticket from the comfort of your home within acceptable wait times escpecially given the Indian "Babu" enviornment is nothing less than highly commendable in my books. In fact IRCTC is now in the proces of tying up with major travle portals to offer the booking service through their sites as well to enhance customer sevrice. The service is already live on Cleartrip & Yatra and I think would be live soon on Makemytrip as well.

Already there on MMT as well (no Tatkal though)

Also

http://articles.economictimes.india...rctc-website-indian-railway-catering-bookings

What steps are you taking to ease this congestion?

Demand will always be there, in fact it will grow. We have added 52 servers which cater to peak traffic today and have plans to add 18 more servers. Scaling up is not the only solution. We have to add more trains and routes. If we were to increase our bandwidth to unlimited capacity, people in rural areas, who don't have net access will always be deprived of Tatkal (reservations made a day ahead) tickets since all will be booked within the first 15 minutes of counters opening at 8am.

More proof that they can but do not increase online capacity

Back