CPU/Mobo Is 4x1 and 2x2 the same?

Vandal said:
Exactly. Though I agree that DDR3 will be worth it later on, but its not going to be a good buy for at least another 6-8 months. And that fact that they're having latency issues won't really help. Also 1800+ MHz memory is the way to go with DDR3 if you really want to see differences between that and really fast DDR2. Such memory is insanely priced.

So right now 4x1 DDR2 1066.

My OCZ XTC's are doing 4-3-3-10 @ 800 MHz, running at 2.1v, and with 4GB that's pretty fast!

btw Core's architecture is supposed to be designed for minimal memory access so won't faster memory make less and less of an impact? I think so...you guys' thoughts?

^^RiO I noticed STALKER's load times coming down, and I have this dirty tendency to open a lot of apps together :)

Am on 4 x 1 GB SuperTalent 6400 Mhz 4 4 3 8

^^I hope you mean PC6400 and not 6400 MHz :p

Ooops .. that must be the fastest RAM in the world at 6400 Mhz .. :hap5: - sorry that was 800 Mhz and it goes all the way to 1000 @ 4 4 4 12 and even seen it at 1100 - 5 5 5 15, But havent played around much with it other then this

So the general concensus is that 2GB is good enuf and, if going for 4GB, 4x 1GB is better.

So, right now memoryc has accepted to give me a slightly better ram kit(2Gb OCZ DDR2 PC2-8000 4-4-4-15 Titanium Alpha VX2) partly because they don't stock the ones I returned and partly to make-up for their delayed response.

This kits costs €152. Now I asked them that since I am going for a 4gb ram upgrade, could they please let me instead choose a 4gb kit from their site with €152 discounted.

They kinda agreed. So now I am back into confusion over what to choose. I could choose that Geil Black Dragon quad channel kit that I have been eyeing on (but they are elpidas), or I could get another OCZ Titanium Alpha VX2 kit (from what I read here, this shuld work), or I can get two cellshock c4/c5 kits. So many choices! Any words from the wise here?

I am trying to keep the final price below €320 (Hint:I usually give in and splurge in the end)

I am putting off shifting to ddr3 till the time I can get an octa core cpu, or such time that I have still more cash to burn.

Anyways, I have settled on two 2GB CellShock DDR2 PC2-8500 1066MHz (5-5-5-15) Dual Channel kits. And I am also getting an OCZ XTC Memory Airflow Cooler. I already have an 80mm fan directed at the NB and memory right now and it does a good job. But I guess it wouldn't hurt to have some "bling".

The order is not confirmed yet as of now though, so any thoughts on compatibility with my motherboard (P5N32-E Sli) are more than welcome.

Just an update:

I went with

-two dual channel kits of Cellshock PC8000 4-4-4-18 (D9GKX)

-OCZ XTC Memory Air Cooler

Right now, the 4GB of memory's sitting pretty (literally!) under the xtc cooler. But I must say, I thought of selling off the xtc cooler because it was "almost" resting on top of my 8800gtx card! But I have slipped a thick and glossy visiting card between the two.

I guess I should've done research on possible incompatibilities with my p5n32-e board before ordering this. I might probably remove one of the "legs" of the xtc cooler and ziptie it to the ram instead.

Thanks all.

SiriusB said:
Just an update:
I went with
-two dual channel kits of Cellshock PC8000 4-4-4-18 (D9GKX)
-OCZ XTC Memory Air Cooler

Right now, the 4GB of memory's sitting pretty (literally!) under the xtc cooler. But I must say, I thought of selling off the xtc cooler because it was "almost" resting on top of my 8800gtx card! But I have slipped a thick and glossy visiting card between the two.
I guess I should've done research on possible incompatibilities with my p5n32-e board before ordering this. I might probably remove one of the "legs" of the xtc cooler and ziptie it to the ram instead.

Thanks all.

yes that is a pain. Not really an issue with the P5B Dlx, but I feel it may be an issue with the P5K dlx. Dunno...

^Damage was € 396. But since I had asked them to refund my defunct ocz sticks, the final amount came to be € 244 (i.e. less € 152)

Yep, got it shipped from memoryc.com

They don't have many brands/models to choose from, but they ship to India and they are reliable.

BTW, got some pics of the cooler in ma rig gallery, if you wish to take a gander.

Back