is a 1 mbps connection enough for webcam & voice chat

amitmk

Adept
I am currently on 849NU plan and getting spedds of upto 2 Mbps. I am entititled to 1.25 GB of free daytime downloads which my folks finish within 20 days making calls to the US and using the webcam to see family.

So due to usage over free limit I end up paying 300-500 above the 849 bucks. I'm planning to switch to the 999Rs 1 mbps unltd plan. Will the voice/video quality be clear/good enough and without any lag at 1mbps speed?

No modem rental of 50 p.m. on untld plans.

Metalspree said:
I used to use skype over 256kbps with video never had issues. 1Meg is more than enough
with 256 kbps?? I used to have lag issues and the videos would just hang suddenly.
Anyway if u guys are saying 256 is enough then i'm certain 1mbps will be sufficient. I dont wanna go below 1 mbps as that'll impact my torrent downloads. I'll have to wait forever.

Sei said:
You have to have a good connection on both ends.. maybe that's why your video was not good.
+1 to this

@OP

Its not only your connection that matters but also the connection at other end of the line.

There's this change in technology that I'm noticing - esp with some of the chat software.

Recently MSN and Yahoo both have come up with a VideoCall feature. I use Yahoo Messenger V10, and this Video Call thing is rather different from their "Web Telecast + Voice Chat", and I have seen framerates > 25fps in the Videocall service. The Cam Telecast never had framerates > 5 fps.

I use a 2mbps connection, but i dont know if a 1mpbs or lesser would support 25-30 fps over 320X240.

Just a thought, depending on what the OP intends.

manu1991 said:
Yes you are right that their website does mention that but i remember getting upto 1 Mbps of upload speeds. I have definitely seen myself seeding on BWT at more than 80 kBps (although this is not 1 Mbps but definitely more than 256 kbps)

Check this particular post

The signature of this user mentions the upload speed as 0.86 Mbps. Although not a very reliable justification from me but still.

Also i am sure we had discussion about this on TE but i dont seem to find those particular posts.

@amitmk: Its not only your speed but also the latency that you get for your pings.
Do a check at pingtest.net and if your score is A, B or C you should have no issues with Voice and Video chats. Also the upload speed is important. You need atleast 256 kbps downstream and 256kbps upstream to experience quality Voice and Vdo chat. I never had problems with my Airtel 256 connection but let me tell you my Tikona 1mbps is no good. I get latency of longer than 800ms and packet drop is also there.

So in short 1 mbps is very good. Just do a ping test and it should tell you how smooth ur voice n vdo chat would be...

Back