Graphic Cards Is a 512 MB graphics card = 1 GB extra RAM..?

rokindotnish

Disciple
sorry if i sound stupid, but does 1 GB extra ram equal 512 mb graphics card...?
well, i've to use s/w like solidworks and play some games if i could....

thanks in advance.... :)

No buddy unfortunately its not possible ram is different where data is held for faster movement and graphics processor is different where the data is processed to get some output.So it doesnt work either u add 1GB or 10GB.

Depends on the graphics processor that you are buying. Spending in 1gb card of low profile is not worth.

Look out for the bus width instead of the amount of memory available in the card. A 128bit memory channel will not be able to use even 512-768 efficiently thus spending in a gig is not worth.

Shelling out money for some gimmky product is a waste. Better look out for other hardware the makes the purchase worth while say number of shaders, newer ram chips (GDDR5) and higher bus width for faster transfer.

Depends on the card for e.g. if you get a AMD HD 5670 512 MB card you'll find the performance roughly paralleling the 1 GB version of the card same is the case with the AMD HD 6950 1GB and 2GB version until it comes to Eyefinity where the extra buffer RAM starts to show its use -- Bench - GPU11 - AnandTech :: Your Source for Hardware Analysis and News, while for the nVidia GTX 460 the difference is startling -- Bench - GPU - AnandTech :: Your Source for Hardware Analysis and News

By thumb of rule for low end cards VRAM -- 512MB is enough, for mid-range -- 1GB to 1.5GB and for the High-end pieces -- all is acceptable but minimum 1.5GB. Hope this answers your query bruv.

Yes , this is a hidden secret which very few people know . 1gb RAM = 512 MB gfx card = 1 ghz Processing Power = 250gb Disk Space and so on.

Here's the thing;

2 GB RAM, home basic W7, ATI Mobility Radeonâ„¢ HD 5470 - 512MB .

3 GB RAM, home premium W7, no graphics card.

Which is better...???

i guess aero doesn't work on basic W7...

confused....

^^

So purchasing original Windows kudos to you Sir go for Windows 7 Home Premium plus graphic card if you want Aero by the way what is your usage and configuration apart from the graphics card.

rokindotnish said:
Here's the thing;

3 GB RAM, home premium W7, no graphics card.

Which is better...???

i guess aero doesn't work on basic W7...

confused....
Bold one is better, but only in games, other performance will be same/better on the latter one.

manu1991 said:
Yes , this is a hidden secret which very few people know . 1gb RAM = 512 MB gfx card = 1 ghz Processing Power = 250gb Disk Space and so on.
I 2nd that ( I hope its not illegal to have fun at the cost of noobs ) [10 chars]

rokindotnish said:
Get this. You can always upgrade the RAM later if you feel like it. You cannot upgrade to a discrete graphics solution when you feel like it.

Lord Nemesis said:
Get this. You can always upgrade the RAM later if you feel like it. You cannot upgrade to a discrete graphics solution when you feel like it.
+1 to what Lord Nemesis Suggested...

Back