Is AirTel Throttling torrents ?

Hi Guys,

Since a past few weeks, i have been experiencing really slow torrent downloads on my 512kbps Airtel plan. When i download directly from servers as in case of eg. Filehippo, or any mp3 websites , i m getting full download speeds but when i dwnld thru torrents, even if the seeds and peers are available, the torrent refuses to start and when it does, it manages a measly 22-30 kBps :( The speeds hardly goes beyond that, and if it does increases to the max., it remains for 30 seconds or so.

So it leaves me to guess, is Craptel blocking torrents ? Are anyone of u having this kind of issues, and is their anyway to get out of this crap ?
Regards,
BBThumbHealer :)

Seems to be working at high, optimum speeds for me. Try contacting customer care or it might be some problem with your ports.

Can you also try using a torrent from a private tracker? And run the utorrent connection wizard again or for that matter re-install utorrent.

Bro, Don't bang your head, IT IS CRAPTEL in fact responsible for your ISSUE !.

Airtel's throttling torrent started long back :p , am a victim :( on my 2mbps i just get 15 - 50 Avg speeds

on a well seeded torrent, from Major Private trackers :(

NO use raising a compliant , as its really useless and waste of time.

Same problem for torrents on failtel. On my 1mbps connection max speed which I am getting for torrents (including private trackers) is 50-60 :(

Also this has started since last few weeks.

Roxtin said:
Same problem for torrents on failtel. On my 1mbps connection max speed which I am getting for torrents (including private trackers) is 50-60 :(

Also this has started since last few weeks.
Time to shift from torrents to file hosting sites :p .Involves money but no throttling and no ratio problem :).

Rate Limiting on torrents has been going on for a very long time with Airtel. Take my case. I've had the 2Mbps line at my place since December 2009. Previously speeds were excellent for the first year or so, but after that speeds during the day started fluctuating on all torrents. Private or public, lots of seeders or not, it didn't matter.

And for the last 6 months or so, the only time I get proper 2Mbps on torrents is between 1AM and 10AM. The moment the clock strikes 10 in the morning, the speed starts dwindling and keeps on going down till it stabilizes at around 60-80 KBps. During the night, after 1AM, speeds reach the normal 220-240 KBps. I had called Airtel Customer Care about this, and they outright denied implementing any rate limiting or throttling of any sorts. Just to check whether there was something wrong with my connection, I had the CC guy give me all detailed instructions about how to configure the network and DNS settings, but it never made any difference whatsoever.

After that I simply gave up. Sometimes, on Sunday's I see the torrents going full throttle all day long though :p. Dunno what that is, because I don't bother anymore. I have thought many a times of changing service providers, but the thought of spending a day without Internet scares me too much. One thing is for sure, Airtel may be screwing heavy downloaders by implementing all kinds of rate limiting and throttling on torrents, but their up-times are absolutely amazing, Small price to pay I guess.

It's hard to sum it up really. Airtel's service is stellar. No doubt. But because its so amazing, we as the consumers have to suck up to the some of the dictator-ish policies.

Really shocking to hear this about ISP here. They threw FUP and we digested it, but now throttling P2P protocol speeds is sheer cheating. Do they mention this explicitly any where in the fine print / contract. I doubt it. I am sure they are quite aware that this throttling can never be proven as a delta for service levels, and they play with this. Using Airtel is equivalent to picking up something from a flea market. Not sure what might happen.

What worries me more, is that I will soon (2 months) change localities, not sure what to take then. Probably MTNL I guess. Currently using 24 Online net, which is 100% non-FUP'ed and no torrent choke occurs. I think in a similar discussion Banik+some other Delhi'ites had recommended Tata Indicom plans, but they hardly show unlimited plans on their sites. When will policies change, or when will consumers get more governance and grievance addressable service providers. Sigh.

Why cannot they provide a plan, and charge if need be:

1. Extremely low down time.
2. Non-FUP'ed.
3. No throttling of speeds from the switches as per protocols.
4. True unlimited as quoted with no extra surcharge.

Guys, so this is it , i m not alone suffering from the hands of Craptel :( So many members having the same issue !!

Only thing that holds me back from shifting is the service support and also m having a fixed line since many years which i can't afford to lose, but only if my fixed line is remains activated, it alone costs a bomb from Failtel !

Is there any way out except shifting providers to tackle this abuse from Craptel ? I really wish to switchover to Reliance but their horror stories about CC and downtimes make me think twice.

Not sure what's the situation now, but I had no issues with downloading over File hosting sites like Rapdishare & Megaupload. Used to get max speeds at all times. Never bothered using Torrents since mid-2008. If they ARE indeed downgrading your Torrent speeds, then it's a low-blow. You can't even question them, if your HTTP and other download max out. They would instantly shift the blame on Torrents being slow. So there is no counter-argument. I guess since Torrents are more popular medium amongst most down-loaders, they might have targeted it. I feel sorry for people who want to switch an ISP, but don't have much options in their area and have to make do with one. It's a sad thing about "broadband" provided in this country. :(

Back