PC Peripherals Is Antec sp350 with a high 12v rating good enough ?

dummyuser

Disciple
Hi people !!

I was looking for a cabinet + PSU for 3-3.5k
My planned rig :

3200+
asus a8n-e
2*512 mb ddr
7600gt
1*sata ( or 2 in future )
1*dvd/rw
1*dvd/rom

2 pci cards ( tv tuner + sound blaster )

The cabinet i was thinking of was an antec-1650b . It costs ~ 3400 according to techenclave

It comes with a sp350 - so my real question is - is it good enough for me or should I go for something higher ?? - sp350 does seem to have higher 12v ratings (10 + 15A) than some of the other 400-450w power supplies that i have looked up...

PS : I have already been to sites like jscalc and eXtreme calc - jscalc says it's enough but extreme calc is not so clear

Please help and suggest a cab+smps in the aforementioned price range

^^ Yeah, I was using the SP350 and trust me its an awesome PSU.

The SP350 would surely handle that rig, but if your gonna be overclocking and upgrading, a SP400 / 450 would make more sense :)

Opteron 146, A8V Deluxe, Gainward 6800, 1GB D43, 2 x 160GB Seagate SATA, 2 DVD-Drives...

Telling you the PSU is good enough, but it doesn't have the 6-pin PCIe connector for the 7600GT (Or maybe v2.0 has it)...

You need atleast a 280w PSU to run at a minimum and if you add the start up Surge Compensation you need about 349w to be safe. If you're gonna OC...well that's gonna add even more. Get a better PSU:) . Also the latest specs from almost every site says that you need atleast 26A on the 12v rails to be safe with the newer Gfx cards....you're total is 25A......if you plan to upgrade and want a long time good investment spend some more and get a better PSU and Case....Antec Sonata 2 Cases are good...come with a 450w SP2 PSU....though they cost twice of what you're planning to spend...but are just about the best investment short of a P180. Your choice...lots of good PSU's out there...just don't go cheap on this....your entire system can get fried if you're not careful and that won't be good would it??:no:

Anish said:
Opteron 146, A8V Deluxe, Gainward 6800, 1GB D43, 2 x 160GB Seagate SATA, 2 DVD-Drives...

Telling you the PSU is good enough, but it doesn't have the 6-pin PCIe connector for the 7600GT (Or maybe v2.0 has it)...

The 7600 GT dosent need extra power, it gets all its power through the PCIE slot :D If u were running a 6800(unlocked 16X6 right?) and Opty 146 on it i guess it should be ok for his rig. But still 400W is highly recommended, especially if u catch 'upgraditis' in future :eek:hyeah:

Oh my god people - i should have made it into a poll :eek:hyeah: - as of yet , i have 2 in favour and 2 against .

BTW i do not plan to OC . A major upgrade is unlikely for the next 2-3 years except for maybe a new hd (bringing total to 2) or 2 more sticks ram ( that makes a max of 25w+14w more )

Is there any chance , anywhere in delhi , that a dealer i buy the cabinet from will upgrde the power supply for just the price difference between sp350 and sp400 :S

Why don't you just buy an Antec Sonata - 2 case - its for 7800 or something - sell the 450w PSU that comes with it....the market price of that is around 4600 and get a 400 w one instead?? Should cost you around 6000-6500 in all:D

rahulhbk - i do understand that it's not difficult to become a fan of antec cabinets but my budget really is 3-3.5k - i've got better things to splurge money on

Well then go for whatever you've decided. And i'm not in love with Antec cases:huh: .....its just that the system you're using will ned the extra power at times and the case and PSU in my opinion are big investments because you don't spend money every year on buying a new case....:no:
Well you choice. I've said what i know so YOU decide.....:) Good luck:hap2:

rahulhbk said:
its just that the system you're using will ned the extra power at times and the case and PSU in my opinion are big investments because you don't spend money every year on buying a new case....:no:

Well I used to think the same until recently but with these insanely hot video cards being available, even the best two year old cases aren't enuf. I got a cm wavemaster thinking the same two years back but to put it bluntly, it ain't good enuf to cool an x1900xtx efficiently. There is a 7-8 degree diff between case closed and open.

OK...to put it another way ...(since my budget is still 3-3.5k)...will it be better to get Vip 400W + Cheaper cabinet or Antec 1650B ( with SP350 )

Ok i'll give you an ANTEC soultion after all WITHIN you budget:bleh:
Get this case
Antec.com - Solution Series
Costs around 4500. This comes with a 350w PSU from Antec. The market price of that thing is 2800. Sell it back to the retailer for like even 2500 you won't lose anything....You still have another 1500 to spend on the PSU. :cool2: Powersafe makes a 400w one which sells for 1500 and i've yet to find anyone telling me not to buy it. So if anyone thinks powersafe's not good please let us know. There's a review on techtree which says its very good. Comes with a gold coverin and all....So what you think now??:D Antec loverboy got you a deal??:hap2: :cool2: :eek:hyeah:

Chaos said:
Well I used to think the same until recently but with these insanely hot video cards being available, even the best two year old cases aren't enuf. I got a cm wavemaster thinking the same two years back but to put it bluntly, it ain't good enuf to cool an x1900xtx efficiently. There is a 7-8 degree diff between case closed and open.
Well that can happen at times. That's why i was telling him to buy a really high quality case. Thing is ....nothing against you....if you put the same system in P180 and then run it....it'll be VERY cool. The downside??? P180 costs around 9500:( (I'm gonna buy that) And you need a good PSU to go with it.
Anyone heard of the OCZ GameXStream?? There newely released from OCZ and have gotten gr8 reviews all over. Anyone heard if they are avalible in India?? They're almost as cheap as Antec's only thing is they're 600w and 700w PSU:eek:hyeah: ;) :D

^^They certainly arent as cheap as antec(its not like antec is cheap in the first place). But you can get the same thing from Fortron for a lower price. The GameXStream are nothing but Fortron OEM's.

rahulhbk said:
Well that can happen at times. That's why i was telling him to buy a really high quality case. Thing is ....nothing against you....if you put the same system in P180 and then run it....it'll be VERY cool. The downside??? P180 costs around 9500:( (I'm gonna buy that) And you need a good PSU to go with it.

Anyone heard of the OCZ GameXStream?? There newely released from OCZ and have gotten gr8 reviews all over. Anyone heard if they are avalible in India?? They're almost as cheap as Antec's only thing is they're 600w and 700w PSU:eek:hyeah: ;) :D

LOL the antec p180 is hardly better in cooling than my wavemaster with high speed panaflos. Silence yes, cooling not much.... I need something with big crossflow fans and the only thing i can think of is the stacker 810 which is fugly and the stacker 830 which is incredibly expensive. Might end up buying the latter sometime. I already have a decent enuf psu... don't need anything more for now :p. Getting the ocz gamexstream is pointless cos its the same psu as the fsp fx700gln and fx600gln... easier to just save 50$ and get the original fsp psus. The fx700gln is 170 dollars whereas the equivalent ocz with all the bull$hit advertising is 220-230. Thats no way close to antecs in pricing though.... these are priced double of antecs :p.

rahulhbk said:
Ok i'll give you an ANTEC soultion after all WITHIN you budget:bleh:
Get this case
Antec.com - Solution Series
Costs around 4500. This comes with a 350w PSU from Antec. The market price of that thing is 2800. Sell it back to the retailer for like even 2500 :)rofl:-Bikey Edit:cool2: ) you won't lose anything....You still have another 1500 to spend on the PSU. :cool2:
U ever sold a PSU back to a dealer!!:cool2:

They give 400/-odd for a 750/- bucks thing!!:mad:

And I got only 1500/- for the SP350 i got with my SLK3700AMB!!:'(

I am sure you have never met Mr, Gulbir!!:rofl:

Hey DU,
Just check if the new 1650B has SP old or new SP 2.0!!
It should handle ur rig easily, especially after i realised my folly (after seeing Anish's rig) of selling it back to dealer cheap as i had one pSU already!!
should have kept it as standby!!:eek:hyeah:
Just chk what amps it has on the 12v line/rail!!

Else,
Try and get a Powersafe 500, costs abt 2.5-2.8k and will be kinda future safe for OC or better GPU; at a budget price!!:cool2:

The VIP 856B is a decent budget cabby with Good ventilation options and costs about 750/- bucks!!:)
Similarly Priced models from VIP or Zebronics or Navtech or even slightly pricier ones are quite good- no need to be an Antec Fanboi!!:cool2:

Front intake and rear exhaust have become almost DeFacto on even budget cabbies!!:)
120mm fans will kinda silent but not mandatory- decent 80mm fans do their job quite well too!!:cool2:

I have really neat 120mm fans but PC placement in my room and high temps at my place ensure my PC runs hotter than Buddies who are using budget cabbies with 80mm fans but in a well ventilated spot!!:p

Also chk that whatever u get has enough HDD space and allows decent spacing between adjacent HDDs!!:)

Get anything inexpensive that has space for 80/90/120mm fans at rear and front- both compulsory; ventilation holes/fanmount on side panel will be helpful too!!

This would have worked great with some mutual understanding;) , except for the logistics involved:( !!
http://www.techenclave.com/forums/antec-slk-1650-beige-70045.html?highlight=puns

Chaos said:
The fx700gln is 170 dollars whereas the equivalent ocz with all the bull$hit advertising is 220-230. Thats no way close to antecs in pricing though.... these are priced double of antecs :p.

The 700w GameXStream - $160+shipping

OCZ GameXStream OCZ700GXSSLI 700W Power Supply - Retail at Newegg.com

The 600w-$130+shipping

OCZ GameXStream OCZ600GXSSLI 600W Power Supply - Retail at Newegg.com

They're the same price....:p

And by the way although they work at 18A the Fortron's are specified at 15A on the box per 12V rail.

As for selling PSU's....well if they're not ready to go for an exchange:( :mad: ..............Then go with what bikie said:) AND I'M NOT AN ANTEC FANBOY:mad:

Anywyz...any Lianli's avalible in India??? :huh:

Back