Is buying Dumb bells a good Alternative for casual Gymming

v.Na5h

Skilled
As the title says i dont want to invest much money for memberships as i do not need a pro toned body , just need to look fit ..

Can you recommend some.
Also which would be better adjustable rod ones or the fixed neoprene, vinyl ones. The latter part is costly and would have to be bought in sets which may further add to the costs. Also the weights are upto 5kg only which would be inadequate after a few months

I have narrowed down these..

http://www.amazon.in/SPORTS-PROTONE...31_1_2?s=sports&ie=UTF8&qid=1411923968&sr=1-2

http://www.amazon.in/Iris-IRIS-20-K..._1_50?s=sports&ie=UTF8&qid=1411924243&sr=1-50

But the reviews seem to be pretty bad ..Also the rod/handles look pretty rough..Would it be worth it

IMO you should look up a bodyweight routines, and follow that. Once you are able to do a large number of reps fairly easily, buy weighted straps to attach to your body to increase resistance.

If you have a specific routine in mind by all means get the dumbbells, but get adjustable ones at the start so you can add weight.

Bought once and 2nd time got them for free. Both times it ended as weights to keep things down. So I don't think so.

Best option is to find a physical activity you like. for example
Gym (only join if you plan to go), cycle , sports

Get a pull-up bar - lift your own weight. helps with shoulders and chest too
Once i quit the gym I used dumbells for around 15-20 days and now the're lying in some cupboard rusting for the past 5 years.

I actually feel an entire set of dumbbells are a very useful addition for a minimalistic home gym. You can do a hell lot of things with those. And couple that with a adjustable bench, viola. So many.

My apartment gym is a very small one. But they do have few machines, an entire set of dumbbells from 5lbs to 60lbs. And a adjustable belt. I am satisfied. Mind you, I am just in for fitness.

Follow this religiously for 30 days. At the end of it you can decide to buy weights to increase the intensity or add more variety of exercises. This is a test of your commitment at zero cost. Otherwise the equipment is a waste of money anyway. Additionally you will feel much better after 30 days. Just make sure you do these with proper form.

IMG-20141005-WA0000.jpg

^^

I agree that those exercises are extremely helpful. But it doesn't reduce the value of a good set of dumbbells. With that you can do umpteen different exercises.

Damn those squat and crunch challenges look almost scary to me!

:(
So is the plank btw. It looks like a benign exercise but it gets exponentially harder as the seconds pass away. Try it and time yourself. I could manage 2 minutes with all my will power summoned.

Back