Car & Bike Is Fully Synthetic Engine oil good for R15's Engine ?

Guys did anyone here try using fully synthetic engine oil in Yamaha R15? if yes then what where the differences you noticed in fully synthetic compare to semi-synthetic ?

Difference like:-
1. Was their any performance boost?
2. Was their a increase in mileage?
3. Was their smoothness in Engine voice?

Stick to the Manufacturer Recommendations as far as Engine Oil is concerned.

That is the best advice I can offer you.

How many kms has your R15 run? Please do keep in mind that switching to Fully Synthetic engine oil is recommended after your engine has opened fully which is usually after 5-6k kms. :)

Coming to your question,there wasnt any substantial increase over Semi Synthetic in performance or the smoothness or the mileage of the bike atleast in my case. There is an improvement but it's not massive.The plus point with the FS is,it lasts quite long.

What are you switching to? Motul? Must be using Yamalube SS 15W50 currently?

Well i own R15 and i use Motul 300v....Performance do go up but average falls arnd 3-4kmpl and ya bike runs very smooth and as far as engine voice is concerned i never noticed it..... and for the record i have completed 16k kms on it..... my advice is use motul 300v once and feel the difference.....

I switched over to fully synthetic oil at about the 6000 kms mark ( was using semi synth, the 418 rs / litre one ), Then fully synth ( 875 or something per litre ). Its worth it, and the R15 is a bike that can enjoy what fully synth has to offer.

the normal mineral oil ( 185 some rs per litre yamalube ), starts to roughen the engine up around 1200 kms or so. And the semi synth makes the engine rough around the 2200-2400 kms mark. Fully synth is the only oil that i found could handle the entire duration and more of a service interval.

Go for Motul.

nehaladsul said:
Stick to the Manufacturer Recommendations as far as Engine Oil is concerned.

That is the best advice I can offer you.

did u ever tried fully synthetic?

TheNightwing said:
How many kms has your R15 run? Please do keep in mind that switching to Fully Synthetic engine oil is recommended after your engine has opened fully which is usually after 5-6k kms. :)
Coming to your question,there wasnt any substantial increase over Semi Synthetic in performance or the smoothness or the mileage of the bike atleast in my case. There is an improvement but it's not massive.The plus point with the FS is,it lasts quite long.
What are you switching to? Motul? Must be using Yamalube SS 15W50 currently?

2nd service is due....its 2800km. i don't know which fully synthetic should i go for :S and yes currently i am using SS 15W50.
MaxFSB said:
I switched over to fully synthetic oil at about the 6000 kms mark ( was using semi synth, the 418 rs / litre one ), Then fully synth ( 875 or something per litre ). Its worth it, and the R15 is a bike that can enjoy what fully synth has to offer.

the normal mineral oil ( 185 some rs per litre yamalube ), starts to roughen the engine up around 1200 kms or so. And the semi synth makes the engine rough around the 2200-2400 kms mark. Fully synth is the only oil that i found could handle the entire duration and more of a service interval.

Go for Motul.

hmmmmm so you tried fully synthetic, was their any performance boost? what about mileage? increase or decrease?

@TE sorry for late replay :( was very busy with college classes :( coming to point i asked Yamaha engineer here he said fully synthetic is for rough rider :) else for normal riding Semi-synthetic is enough :)
so guys post as much as you know......this is not enough for me :)

if the bike is new then keep it stock. the normal engine wear n tear is low with fully synthetic oil. but wear and tear is necessary.

i would suggest changing after 10000km.

switch to fully synthetic but keep it to the specifications given by the manufacturer.

dont go by what service centres say, spend some time over tbhp reading about how and why and then you can take a considerate decision. it will make you feel much better than just jumping on any conclusion rightaway :)

madnav said:
if the bike is new then keep it stock. the normal engine wear n tear is low with fully synthetic oil. but wear and tear is necessary.

i would suggest changing after 10000km.

switch to fully synthetic but keep it to the specifications given by the manufacturer.

dont go by what service centres say, spend some time over tbhp reading about how and why and then you can take a considerate decision. it will make you feel much better than just jumping on any conclusion rightaway :)
got your point :)

@TE searched around and found these information but now more confused even in semi-synthetic i.e should i go for semi-synthetic of Motul or Yamaha :S

[Ownership Thread]: Yamaha YZF-R15 - Page 1113 - xBhp.com : The Global Indian Biking Community

Proper Run-in for Yamaha R15 | Caravan Biking

keep posting guys i am confused :S

The Yamalube SS 15W50 that you are using currently is actually a rebadged Motul 5100 SS. However it's cheaper than the latter and also thinner. Motul rules the Fully Synthetic oils currently available in India.

In any case it's too early for you to switch to FS oil. Keep running on SS till 5-6k kms. Then if you can afford to use FS oil,go right ahead. :)

TheNightwing said:
The Yamalube SS 15W50 that you are using currently is actually a rebadged Motul 5100 SS. However it's cheaper than the latter and also thinner. Motul rules the Fully Synthetic oils currently available in India.

In any case it's too early for you to switch to FS oil. Keep running on SS till 5-6k kms. Then if you can afford to use FS oil,go right ahead. :)
i totally agree what you said, now in my 2nd service should i go for motul SS or normal yamaha SS ?

@TE guys have a look on 5th post by MaxFSB.....he says SS oil makes engine rough :( why he saying so :( can anyone clear this point.

Happy Singh said:
i totally agree what you said, now in my 2nd service should i go for motul SS or normal yamaha SS ?

@TE guys have a look on 5th post by MaxFSB.....he says SS oil makes engine rough :( why he saying so :( can anyone clear this point.

Every oil has a certain duration till which it maintains it's lubricating,cleaning and cooling properties. As time goes by the oil starts to thin due to the heat generated by the engine and it's additives get polluted. Hence your bike starts to feel rough and you need to go for an oil change. What MaxFSB meant was that Fully synthetic oil can maintain these 'good' properties for a longer period of time i.e. they last longer around 4-5k kms before they start thinning out. SS oil comes second and mineral oil last.

TheNightwing said:
Every oil has a certain duration till which it maintains it's lubricating,cleaning and cooling properties. As time goes by the oil starts to thin due to the heat generated by the engine and it's additives get polluted. Hence your bike starts to feel rough and you need to go for an oil change. What MaxFSB meant was that Fully synthetic oil can maintain these 'good' properties for a longer period of time i.e. they last longer around 4-5k kms before they start thinning out. SS oil comes second and mineral oil last.
ooooookkkkkk i see. thanks for the post :) and as i asked before that in my coming 2nd service should i go for normal yamaha ss 15w50 or the motul ss 15w50?

and TE one thing more- the reason i am here with this thread is not just that by putting fully synthetic i will have a boost in performance and will increase time period of changing engine oil no :hap5: the main reason is- i wanna give my R15 engine the best lubricant available in the market :) price don't matter :) i am not a regular racer just a part-time racer ;) but that too after 3rd service (as per my experience). hope you guys got what i here for :)

how much yamaha 15W50 sells for ?? AFAIK its re-branded Motul oil ...

bike's run-in completes by 5-6k kms ... piston rings gets set in first few kms itself , i.e 90% of run-in gets completed till you reach 1000 kms mark ... its slow process after it ...

I'hv changed to fully synthetic @ 4.5k kms , now my P220 is 35k kms + , still running butter smooth apart from fairing vibes :p

i dot know when will i have the pleasure to own a R15!! love the bike ... but AFAIK .. if your bike is fully opened, its not a bad idea to switch to synthetic oil for better performance and better running of the bike! ive done this with my car, but no idea about bikes coz ive not yet owned a bike. But, was blazed away when i got to ride my friend's R15!!

Happy Singh said:
ooooookkkkkk i see. thanks for the post :) and as i asked before that in my coming 2nd service should i go for normal yamaha ss 15w50 or the motul ss 15w50?

and TE one thing more- the reason i am here with this thread is not just that by putting fully synthetic i will have a boost in performance and will increase time period of changing engine oil no :hap5: the main reason is- i wanna give my R15 engine the best lubricant available in the market :) price don't matter :) i am not a regular racer just a part-time racer ;) but that too after 3rd service (as per my experience). hope you guys got what i here for :)
abhifusion said:
how much yamaha 15W50 sells for ?? AFAIK its re-branded Motul oil ...

bike's run-in completes by 5-6k kms ... piston rings gets set in first few kms itself , i.e 90% of run-in gets completed till you reach 1000 kms mark ... its slow process after it ...

I'hv changed to fully synthetic @ 4.5k kms , now my P220 is 35k kms + , still running butter smooth apart from fairing vibes :p

Yamaha SS 15W50 is Rs 410/- here in Lucknow. And Motul 5100 SS is Rs 450/-. There's no harm in switching to Motul if you can pay the extra bucks. If you like it keep using it till the engine's fully open. Then switch to Motul 300V. It's a FS oil costing Rs 895/-. Best FS oil in India IMO. :)

Back