is game developing a good choice ?

psybronik

Adept
hey guys,

i am planning to get into gaming industry looking for a good university to get a degree from...

i cam across DSK which is in pune can anybody guide me on this please its a high time in my career :(

Thanks & Regards

What aspect of "Gaming Industry" are you looking at? Programming/Artist/Designing/Producing etc...

If you are a fresher out of college, then you can apply directly for jobs in gaming studios in India. Game testing would be the easiest position to apply. If you have a degree in Computers then a programming trainee would be a good position to start.

If you are looking for a full-time degree/course in Game Development which will then help you get a job then you should probably look outside India.

What is your educational background? Are you looking for a career change or are you just finishing education? I am confused by this statement of yours.
its a high time in my career

What aspect of "Gaming Industry" are you looking at? Programming/Artist/Designing/Producing etc...

If you are a fresher out of college, then you can apply directly for jobs in gaming studios in India. Game testing would be the easiest position to apply. If you have a degree in Computers then a programming trainee would be a good position to start.

If you are looking for a full-time degree/course in Game Development which will then help you get a job then you should probably look outside India.

What is your educational background? Are you looking for a career change or are you just finishing education? I am confused by this statement of yours.

i am a bsc i.t graduate...fresher...most probably into programming

i am a bsc i.t graduate...fresher...most probably into programming

Do keep in mind that there are very few companies in India doing game development. It will not be easy to get into one, and even if you do, once you are ready to change companies, you'll again have a very limited choice.

Yes, i think it is a good choice. You can also work as a freelancer and earn by work at home facility. After doing course you can apply in the following discipline or field of study like programming, design and writing, production, quality assurance, game designer and more.The one of the most popular academy which i know is "Maya Academy Of Advanced Cinematics". It is one of the most leading animation training college.

Hi,
Dont wanna hijack this thread but my brother also wants to become a part of the gaming industry.
He can play for hours and hours on end so i wanted him to apply for testing, but he is kinda adamant that he wants to go in for programming only. He had partially developed a game for WP7 using XNA during his last semester during his BE in CSE.
These days(2 months after his BE got over), he is sitting at home and just plays games all day long and does nothing else, so kinda worried for him.

I am taking him to meet someone i know who works for EA India, but some pointers about any courses(India or abroad) or how to get a foothold for entry into the Industry would be very helpful.

#pr0ing - Any pointers will be immensely helpful. He has just completed his BE in CSE 2 months ago.
He just loves playing games and i have never seen him dislike any game and was always quick to see any bugs etc. Thats why i suggested testing to him. His retort was that playing for a job will end the fun for him plus he wants to contribute more towards the game by programming. I don't know what to say to him as i am not familiar with the working of the industry.

Hi,
Dont wanna hijack this thread but my brother also wants to become a part of the gaming industry.
He can play for hours and hours on end so i wanted him to apply for testing, but he is kinda adamant that he wants to go in for programming only. He had partially developed a game for WP7 using XNA during his last semester during his BE in CSE.
These days(2 months after his BE got over), he is sitting at home and just plays games all day long and does nothing else, so kinda worried for him.

I am taking him to meet someone i know who works for EA India, but some pointers about any courses(India or abroad) or how to get a foothold for entry into the Industry would be very helpful.

#pr0ing - Any pointers will be immensely helpful. He has just completed his BE in CSE 2 months ago.
He just loves playing games and i have never seen him dislike any game and was always quick to see any bugs etc. Thats why i suggested testing to him. His retort was that playing for a job will end the fun for him plus he wants to contribute more towards the game by programming. I don't know what to say to him as i am not familiar with the working of the industry.

If I'm not mistaken, game testing is NOTHING like playing the game as a end user. It's more about repeating a given scenario in different ways to check for bugs. Think of it as trying to open the door to a room repeatedly but at varying speeds. Just because he likes playing games, it doesn't mean he may have the patience to sit through what I hear is one of the most mundane and unrewarding tasks in the game development process (No offense to any game testers here, this is all based on hearsay.).

I don't know how accurate this article is but it may give you some insight into the game testing process - The Tough Life of a Games Tester - IGN

^ I would agree with you. Adding to this, having a technical background does help a lot of think up of edge cases.
@rdst_1 He can most definitely look at programming, just ask him to pick a platform that he would like to target and then the technology to work on. I do not know of any Indian Development company working on PC titles except one (Blue Giant). A handful are working on Consoles and everyone is either in the web/flash/mobile space atm.

Personally I would say the scope is HUGE outside as compared to India. One will need to polish their talent whether it be in design/art/programming/sound to get into the international studios (except some in korea/singapore which take freshers). The industry is much much older and experienced in the west for someone mediocre to break in and land a job there.

I would also recommend register for NGCD 2012 which is in November. Everyone from the industry will be there and some good first hand insight will be available. We were also doing our "Making-of" posts of our recently released game on our blog if anyone is interested in following and knowing more do get in touch.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd like to add that even though schools might seem amazing, I can assure you today there are soo many tutorials/plugins of simple engines like Flixel (AS3) / Unity with enough hard work you can have a good enough prototype ready for showcasing to your potential employers. And really that's all that you may need.

The best things these schools do is help people find teams and positions they can fit into_Otherwise there are enough and more free GDC lectures out there, 3d modelling books written by experts in the industry and people are very open to emails if you have genuine problems. Valve has written so many guides on doing their design/art and even released all SDK's and tools for free and documented them. Personally if in today's world I had 45 lacs to got to a school abroad I would rather spend my time and money learning and working on a modding project with a global team and maybe eventually we could turn into a commercial project.

I'd like to add that even though schools might seem amazing, I can assure you today there are soo many tutorials/plugins of simple engines like Flixel (AS3) / Unity with enough hard work you can have a good enough prototype ready for showcasing to your potential employers. And really that's all that you may need.

Very true. I went to one of the best film schools in the world, paying an enormous sum of money. In restrospect, I could have learned everything they taught me on my own barring one very important lessson: that I was shit at what I do and unless I bucked up and put in a lot more effort, I would be far behind my competition. I feel the value of specialized education is diminishing in today's world but the value of an academic experience still holds strong.

To the OP, I don't work in gaming but in an animation studio. Some of the artists I work with are extremely talented and more often than not, come from meager backgrounds. I'm certain some of them are now good enough to work in reputed international studios, and they've gotten to where they are only by pure hard work. If you can afford a good course, go for it. If not, there are still plenty of other ways to learn and make a successful career out of it. In my experience, employers in creative fields look at showreels and portfolios first, credentials second.

Back