CPU/Mobo Is installing a processor so hard??

Hey guys,

I`ve just assembled my friend`s C2D E6600 on ASUS P5B...
I had to press the fan/heatsync notch so hard that even the board bent a bit to make the assembly fix on to the board... I almost put all my pressure on my thumb and finally installed the HSF assembly(whew!). Its working fine now... I mean, Can a MOBO resisit such flexes and pressure???? (poor mobo)

Your saying you push the Heatsinks pushpins in, really hard?

I think, you have to. Dont worry about it.

The last time I used the Stock heatsink was about a year and a half back, so I cant remember. Lol.

Yeah and i thot Processors come in something called as ZERO PRESSURE SOCKET!!!

LOL...whats the use..:tongue: :tongue: :tongue:

Yes, when I 1st installed this type of CPU and Motherboard, I really get scared -

1: the PIN is on the motherboard socket and at an angle. But I have read the manual before, so countered the shock smoothly.:clap:

but -

2: Heat-sink installation:no: . PUSH-PULL-ROTATE :mad: , my god.

See AMD, CLIP-CLICK :cool2: .

Another Thing -

AMD has a very very very beautiful Installation Guide Video :hap2: intel doesn't :S

By the way -

the board bent a bit

It didn't sound well to me. I don't know how do you install, but listen -

1. keep the Motherboard on a wooden flat table.

2. install CPU+HSF, as you are on a wooden flat table, excess preasure can't damage your Motherboard.

3. Install RAM

4. yo can Check the setup by appling power (OPTIONAL)

5. install the SETUP in the Cabinet.

... and so on.

Hope you got my point.

The core 2 stock HSF retension design is the worst I have ever seen in my life despite it being advertised as very simplified. I have assembled about 10~12 machines till now and never seen such a cheaply made, flimsy mechanism. You have to be extremeley careful otherwise you mobo is gonna be damaged. The plastic itself is so cheap that the retension clips themselves may break off if care is not taken.

I remember darky tell me ones that TTBT is so heavy that if u lug the cabinet around with TTBT sitting on the mobo, u cannot be sure what effect it will have on the mobo... but the mobo sits pretty tight..

I dont think u got to worry too much about that. Ya the design for HS makes a huge difference. Check out the AMD Athlon series ( the earlier ones ) had bad designs...

Intel really needs a Heat Sink upgrade at a serious measure, the socket 775 heat sink & the stock fan really suck balls. I love the heatsink clip installation in AMD.

70% people find installation of s775 Heat sinks really jerky & I agree it is. Even an Experience hand needs to recheck it again with a lil unsurety still left out until u trace ur temps with the rig working.

yes correct my friend got a c2d and assemling was not really tough as described but i must admit the hsf quality of intle is poor and the whole assembly seems a bit cheap but as long as they make good processors it's fine and the heat sink assembly din't really cause too much excessive pressure while mounting .

u reminded me of the K7 days when AMD didnt have a cover and u could see the cores open. I have once cracked the cores (damn I got some firing!! :lol: ) and it was really unsafe.. But these days assembling processors are really simple and easy!!

Also I think the center or CPU socket region of the mobo is really tough. So pressing it too much wont cause much problem. The edges of the mobo around the IDE slots are moire dangerous. Most mobos bend at that place and then u have all kinds of problems!!

guys i fixed Gagabyte 3d cooler pro on my Previous Asus p5v-VM board.
on load my max temp was 59 (as per Asus prob) but now i have purchased Asus P5B dlx wi-fi edition for my next e6400 upgrade. but i want to use my pentiumD for next 2 months.
i am facing horrible problems.

1. This new Asus mobo dosent boot if i fix 3d cooler. darky is saying that there is too much pressure on proc so it is not booting. that can be true ?

2. i removed then 3d cooler and installed default stock cooler. now as soon as i start my computer in BIOS even my temp is 74-82 :mad:
i installed speedfan and enabled graph mode. installed xp and all.later installed 3dmark 05. after running the test i checked the temp while test it was 112 :mad: :mad: :mad:
i removed stock cooler and installed it again, reapplied thermal paste but no help. still default temp is 70-80.

what is max temp of PentiumD should be. when i was running 3d mark i touched heatsink but it was very little hot. if i have to conclude that there is some gap between cooler and proc that may not be true as well. coz i removed cooler urgently after checking temp 112. within 2-3 min i managed to switch off system and remove cooler and touched proc but it was very little hot. what u think temp senors gone bad or proc can become cool within 3-4 minitue. i am really scared to play games on this system.

somebody help.................

avi_avadhut said:
default stock cooler... temp is 74-82

installed speedfan ... the temp while test it was 112 .... reapplied thermal paste but no help. still default temp is 70-80.
i removed cooler urgently after checking temp 112..... touched proc but it was very little hot.
Escuse me if this sounds STOOPID..... but .... are you sure the temps you get are not in Fahrenheit ? The readings you mention are close to what I get these days in F for my AMD 939 3000+.

82F = 29C
112F = 43C

sorry...
it is 70-80c. if it is F then why should i worry..
Asus prob always remain at Red level and giving alarms all the time.

3d cooler exp is bad with this new board. so better to stay away from it
i took it from one TE guy.

as per darky it is good only for p4. not good for dual core.. need better cooler.

agree but default cooler sould not take proc to 70-80 within 5 min aftert system starts. i want to know is there any problem with cooling, mobo sensors?

what is max danger level for proc?
is there any thermal damage prevention avaliable in Asus P5B delux series.
i am so scared to play games on this system.

if temp cross its limit then will the mobo shut down the machine or not ?

Avi

dont worry if it crosses its limits the cpu has an inbuilt sensor and it will automatically cut off the power 2 the cpu and thus the comp will shutdown, on the next boot you should get a message in the bios sayin thermal event has occured

thx mate.
can anybody tell me what is max limit of proc for thermal problem.

i think 112c is wayyy to high. does proc can survive at such temp.
i could not notice performance degrade while running 3d 05.

i just want to make sure that there might be some wrong reading from sensors. let me try some other third party cooler and will let you know.

what is the max temp you have seen for proc.

Back