Is is worth becoming a Software developer/Engineer?

My friend is an M.C.A and is very good at programming. He has joined a local company which is into developing web apps using ASP .Net.

He thinks that since he is a fresher, he won't leave this job now but will do it for 1 yr or so for experience and gradually he will learn other languages and obtain more certifications.

Programming is his passion and he is always ready to explore more, so i can assure that if he takes up any programming language he will give it his best shot.

But putting so much efforts to take it up as a career, is it worth and what is the maximum he can reach?:S

Any programmers in the house plz help!

Yes it is "worth" it for your friend.

If YOU are asking "is it worth" then the answer is NO not for you just because of your choice of words :D

Does he has better alternative money and careerwise ? then he should surely go for it :)

It's worth as now a days project/team lead/managers are easy to find but not programmers :) with passion

Good responses:clap:

Can i get some info on pay scale also?

@vishalrao aka Mr.Bean : "If judging a person would be so easy(words he uses in ur case) everyone would be a genuine critic."

im confused? who is asking "is it worth it" ? you or your friend?

anyways, nevermind. the money's good, if the person is good :D so go ahead and jump in!

yes like vishalrao said if you are getting paid well goon else dont

as far as i've seen all these people calling them selves as software engineers here in india are just coders

they just code a massive amount programs for outsourcing companies they dont design the softwares they just do what they are being told from above and most of their jobs dont even need that much qualification like MCA and so on.

and most of these people are just stuck with heavy work load and no hope of getting anywhere even after 5+ years.

sorry if my comment offended any one here.

^^^And what makes you think that every person on earth should start designing software?

There is a ladder to reach designing level.

Please do not be so delusional, rather be ambitious and hopeful.

Thanks,

@ Sanjeet .. - My Way of thinking is that pick a field that you are interested in..

don't see pay scale or scope or any other thing..

e.g. - if you are being paid 20,000/- for a work that you don't like or are not interested in then that money is useless if you ask me coz you are not enjoying what you are doing..

select a field in which you are interested in & don't care about the world coz in that way you'll never get bored of it & enjoy what you are doing..

don't care about the pay scale either coz i'm sure you'll put your best effort in it & someday you'll be somewhere on the top..

& Now to the point answering your question - Yes,it is worth considering you are interested by heart in doing it..

Best Of Luck for your Future.. :hap2:

Sanjeet Arora said:
^^this is for my friend not for me dude
Thanks for replying.

It is worth the effort ofcourse if you make into the big companies, specially the product firms, like google and adobe, cause they pay you a lot, ofcourse to get there, you will face massive competition. Some one mentioned above that there are not enough good developers out there, I must say there are a lot of good developers stuck in shit jobs, luck plays a very big role.
Only compromise with a service sector company, if you are getting onsite, butt load of money.
Anyways passion for coding will eventually fade away if you are put into maintainance of the code, not all of them get to code.

Another option is to go for start up firms, will get good money, will get lots of coding work, but at the cost of risk, well it entirely depends on the individuals inclination...

There is a lot of competition, I must say that again...

some good replies there especially from naveen and harry. I must agree, luck does play a big role ... being there at the right place at the right time helps!

EDIT: Good communication skills are also equally imp ...

Sanjeet Arora said:
^^this is for my friend not for me dude

Thanks for replying.

Actually you asked the Question in a way that it was hard to sort out to whom you were addressing?? you or your friend :huh:..

anyways,you can tell the same to your friend too.

Cheers.

@ sujit - Thanks Mate for considering my Reply as Good One..

Back