CPU/Mobo Is it a good choice ? A8N-VM CSM

motxz

Disciple
Hi Techencians

Is it a good choice to purchase Asus A8N-VM CSM for Socket 939 Athlon64 3000+ proc, where nforce4 chipset mother board with integrated nforce graphics is desired ? any other cheaper Asus NF4 alternatives?

The CSM is a certified - "Stay Away From That" - product. Reason : The 6150 chipset which has major data corruption issues. Better go for the Gigabyte board based on the 6100 / 430 chipset combo. Got one for my friend and am extremely satisfied with it.

Freaky said:
The CSM is a certified - "Stay Away From That" - product. Reason : The 6150 chipset which has major data corruption issues. Better go for the Gigabyte board based on the 6100 / 430 chipset combo. Got one for my friend and am extremely satisfied with it.

hey if u are referring to the corruption issues that cropped up some time back, they are totally untrue and rubbished by nvidia.
some 6150mobo based systems reported errors, and first it was assumed that the mobo caused the problem. however later it was discovered that the firmware aboard an entire batch of hitachi drives was bad. unfortunately some sizable number went with 6150 based boards. this led to initial confusion.

as far as integrated graphics go this board is second only to the foxconn 6150k8ma, which happens to be cheaper than the asus(check pcstats.com 6150 board shootout for full comparison). however mediatech, the only supplier for foxconn doesnt have the board yet. he told me feb when i asked him in jan and now he tells me march, so i dont expect much there.
now this asus a8n-vm-csm has a very bare bios, so dont expect much on overclocking from this board. (im buying this board for my system this week so i'll probably put a post on it). however if u dont need a gfx card then this board seems pretty good for a general/HT computer. when u add a gfx card later this board comes on par with nforce4 ultra based mobos, so basically it is not a dumb board, its very capable for its price)

if u take the a8n-e from asus with the 6200TC it should cost u abt 3.5k more than the a8n-vm-csm, and will give u a much better combo, but then thats upto you. (personally im not going for that option bcoz i want to go for a 6800gs later in this year, and if i take the 6200tc then i wont get permission for the 6800. :mad: .lol. so i have to survive with on-board gfx till then)

motxz, yes its a good choice, go for anyone(if you are looking for onboard solution) all are Nvidia Geforce 6150/nforce 430 m/c, in order of preference :

Foxconn WinFast 6150K8MA-8EKRS > Gigabyte GA-K8N51PVMT-9 > Asus A8N-VM CSM.

and about the corruption issues, they have been sorted out, afaik.

dipdude said:
Foxconn WinFast 6150K8MA-8EKRS > Gigabyte GA-K8N51PVMT-9 > Asus A8N-VM CSM.

umm... dipdude, im not too sure of ur source :huh: , coz pcstats did an extensive comparison on the major nvidia igp boards and asus closely trailed the foxconn and the gigabyte was way behind. the only place the giga scored was an 8-ch HD audio, but even then the SNR and distortion was second to the asus's HD audio. inspite of the foxconn nearly outsmarting the asus, the asus still won the pcstats selection award in this shootout bcoz of its dvi-d output, now thats not much reason for the award i guess, but my point is the giga is definitely not as good as the asus. also the giga supports only 2gigs of mem while the asus supports 4.

if foxconn is available and u are not too much bothered with the SD audio that it offers then go foxconn(plz check on foxconn warranties, they shouldnt be foxy and con you-not well known brand in india). next in line is asus of course with asus 3 yr warranties(peace of mind).

electron said:
im not too sure of ur source , coz pcstats did an extensive comparison

Pcstats is my source ;) check this review out, in most of the tests foxconn and gigabyte are ahead of asus, i dont know which review you are talking about, so my choice would be unchanged : fox > giga > asu :)

And fox comes with 3 years warranty, atleast mine does ;) and i think it is supported by BIG/BBC in india.

Anyways, motxz asus is a good board, go for it if you are after IGP :D

Usually any ASUS board that is released in India can be got from Delta Peripherals here in Chennai immediately. But am yet to see one A8N-VM CSM board on their shelves which is why I wrote my previous comment.

AFAIK, Maxtor fixed the problem that their HDDs had with NF4 boards, not with this 6150 chipset. But I could be wrong too.

AFAIK, Maxtor fixed the problem that their HDDs had with NF4 boards, not with this 6150 chipset. But I could be wrong too.

Freaky you are right, there was a problem with maxtor diamondplus hard drives and nforce4 chipsets, which is fixed by a firmware upgrade, so absolutely no worries about the data corruption issues. :hap2:

Nice guidance by all of u friends. I found it it is the easiest way to get extensive information at a single point here at Techenclave instead of searching the whole web.

Rashi Peripherals is having ready stock of this board and supplying within a day. I would try to get the price of this board and post it here. However they refused either to supply or divulge the price of this piece to a retail customer. They r dealing thro' the dealers only

:hap2: Taking care of all the things quoted here like availability, warranty, reputation, performance and features ,I selected the board.

Any comments

The Asus 6150 is the most BS mobo ever used. First of all, my memory is running only at 333 instead of 400. Even after forcing to run at 400 in BIOS, it still at 333.

Secondly, memory is running in single channel instead of dual channel. Changed slots, but no avail. HT speed runs at 800 MHz and only 8x PCIE. If you enable 1000MHz and 16x, it keeps on restarting randomly.

Windows XP keeps on hanging if you try to run "Asus Liveupdate II" software. I did some RnD on net and its seems, I am not the only one facing this problem.

I will trying my hands on Winfast 6150 as I am returning this mobo. Most BS piece of mobo ever made. Mercury mobos had few problems. I wonder how CHIP rated this mobo as best Value. This farking thing sells for around 4.9k and Winfast is available for 4k and beats the crap put of this mobo.

Apparently, MSI 6150 is also a rawking mobo according to Anandtech's forum. But it is available for 5.4k.

motxz said:
Hi Techencians

Is it a good choice to purchase Asus A8N-VM CSM for Socket 939 Athlon64 3000+ proc, where nforce4 chipset mother board with integrated nforce graphics is desired ? any other cheaper Asus NF4 alternatives?
oops I suggested the identical board to a friend... eeeps better phone him quick... thanks just came across this!!

Back