is it advisable to buy mobiles from grey market???

intacto

Adept
my friend is planning to buy a high end mobile... n900 which is not available officially..
but the thing is he is wary of warranty as u dun get warranty in grey market products.
so is it advisable to buy a mobile from grey market??what if the mobile goes kaput in a months tym or so.

and can ne1 say wer are grey market in mumbai located???

On a side note, do nokia mobiles really require bills to claim warranty ? I remember one instance about 2-3 years back when my brother's 6630 was having issues and i went to nokia priority dealer. The guy asked for bill and when i said i dont have it, he punched the IMEI in his computer and told me that warranty is still valid for the phone. Was this an isolated instance for me or was i plain lucky or they actually honour warranty without proper/no bill ?

raksrules said:
On a side note, do nokia mobiles really require bills to claim warranty ? I remember one instance about 2-3 years back when my brother's 6630 was having issues and i went to nokia priority dealer. The guy asked for bill and when i said i dont have it, he punched the IMEI in his computer and told me that warranty is still valid for the phone. Was this an isolated instance for me or was i plain lucky or they actually honour warranty without proper/no bill ?
That happened to me too, went to get my n95 updated and the Nokia Care folks didnt even ask for the bill, used IMEI number and got it done for free! :D

But Sony on the other hand asks for 2 copies of your bill and wont accept your phone without it! - Yay Nokia!

These days Nokia don't ask for bills.Your IMEI provides the date of purchase and hence the duration of warranty.It may be not connected to the thread original question but one of the reason for this is that these days for any complain regarding nokia phones these customer care ppl says there is liquid in your phone and charge 1500 bucks so in a way.

spirit said:
Your IMEI provides the date of purchase and hence the duration of warranty.

I guess IMEI and date of purchase are not related, it can be like say nokia manufactures a phone in January 2010 and for that phone's IMEI keeps the warranty till March 2011 assuming a buffer of two months in which the phone is expected to be sold. Not sure if this theory is correct or not.

raksrules said:
I guess IMEI and date of purchase are not related, it can be like say nokia manufactures a phone in January 2010 and for that phone's IMEI keeps the warranty till March 2011 assuming a buffer of two months in which the phone is expected to be sold. Not sure if this theory is correct or not.
I was telling this in case if relation between Bill of purchase and availing care center service.

When you buy a normal Nokia phone, Details of you phone i.e date of purchase etc is entered into the Nokia Date Base which is retrieved by these Care Center to check the warranty of the phone. It was told by both Nokia care center and Shop owners to me.

In case of phone from grey market without any bill, chances are meager or highly improbable that these entries will be entered in to the data base and hoping for warranty later on may well turn out to a wishful thinking.

@ tnx for the suggestions and info

hmm n900 is available officially....i din know tht....neways tnx and was in general askin abt mobiles in grey market.

well even i gave him the same answer that if u are spendin so much and tht product dies after a few months...it makes no sense withot warranty.

neways tnx guys

Back