Is it end of Internet Explorer?

^^ Its just re branding. Microsoft has updated/enhanced their rendering and JavaScript engines several times so far and still called it Internet Explorer. Now they are going to use enhance the same existing Trident and Chakra Engines, but call it a new name. Under the hood, from the tech perspective, its still the same as Internet Explorer.

w3counter is totally unreliable. The source of their data is just the hits to their own website.

netmarketshare and statcounter results are from their web analytic products which span across thousands of websites. While their results can still be debated over various aspects, I think that netmarketshare is more reliable of the two.

statcounter approach is fundamentally flawed in that they rely on individual use page loads. Each page load is seen is a unique user hit. For instance if an IE user visits one page of a website, Firefox user hits 3 pages of the same website and chrome user hits 6 pages, statcounter will show the browser market share as IE= 10%, Firefox = 30% and Chrome = 60% when realty, there was only 1 user for each browser.

netmarketshare post-process their data and count unique users across pages of a website. So even if the same chrome user hit 6 pages of the same website, he would be counted as a single user.

CORRECTION: w3counter seems to be operating in the same method as statcounter except that since they rely only on a subset of total page hits,its even more unreliable.

Last edited:
I know many IT companies don't even allow installation of any other browser except IE (which obviously comes default in windows).

With the negativity around "internet explorer" it makes sense to rebrand it. Esp since the general opinion is that even though it has improved significantly but I/we prefer chrome/firefox.

I know many IT companies don't even allow installation of any other browser except IE (which obviously comes default in windows).

There is a reason for that. several aspects of IE can be administrated centrally on all networked computers in the domain. They can also prevent users from changing settings from those setup by the administrator. Hence it makes sense for them.

In some companies, they simply deny the rights required to install any third party software and hence users will not be able to use different browser by virtue of that policy.
My companies custom windows installation image includes Firefox by default and they allow installation of chrome as well.

There is a reason for that. several aspects of IE can be administrated centrally on all networked computers in the domain. They can also prevent users from changing settings from those setup by the administrator. Hence it makes sense for them.

In some companies, they simply deny the rights required to install any third party software and hence users will not be able to use different browser by virtue of that policy.
My companies custom windows installation image includes Firefox by default and they allow installation of chrome as well.

Yes in my office laptop IE, there are several settings that I cannot change even when I have admin rights on the laptop.

Actually, that feature is present in Chrome as well - look up their policies. In fact, I have already used them earlier, they work.

The only place where IE wins is if you are accessing older corporate sites which might break in Chrome/FF. Apart from that, it almost makes zero sense to use IE.

Metro IE on a Win tab is pretty incredible in terms of site loading and scrolling. Much much much smoother than FF/Chrome. Also certain sites work better in IE. FOr example, my Axis Netbanking ALWAYS logs me out within 2-3 minutes of logging in (cleared cache, cookies etc etc). Works fine on IE.

Hope they change the UI/UX to a more modern one. And actually give it a fresh start. I'd love try a browser that's not chrome/firefox. Maybe with this fresh start they can try a lot more new things. Perhaps password syncing with outlook account etc.

Back