CPU/Mobo Is It Necessary To Have Heat Sink On South Bridge Of Motherboards?

The Sauron

Skilled
TELL ME HOW IMPORTANT IS HEAT SINK ON THE SOUTH BRIDGE CHIP OF MB WHICH CONTROLS IDE AND USB.:huh: :huh:

I GOT MOTHERBOARD MSI 945GC F V2 WITHOUT HEAT SINK ON SOUTH BRIDGE AND AM REALLY WORRIED ABOUT IT.

ALSO AFTER UPGRADING TO LATEST BIOS FROM MSI LIVE UPDATE ONLINE I AM UNABLE TO OVER CLOCK MY CPU EVEN NOT 1% AND PC HEALTH MONITOR IS NOT WORKING IN BIOS:( :( :(

I AM PLANING TO INSTALL STOCK HEAT SINK OF SOUTH BRIDGE BY MYSELF.:no: :no: :no: :no:

FIrst, it is considered RUDE to type with Caps Lock ON.

Second, if the mobo manufacturer dont consider it necessary to put a HSF on south bridge, most probably its not needed. However, u cud mount a third party HSF on the south bridge.

Most of the entry level boards hardly offer OCing as a feature. So u r mostly stuck with not much OC as such.

TheMask said:
FIrst, it is considered RUDE to type with Caps Lock ON.

Second, if the mobo manufacturer dont consider it necessary to put a HSF on south bridge, most probably its not needed. However, u cud mount a third party HSF on the south bridge.

Most of the entry level boards hardly offer OCing as a feature. So u r mostly stuck with not much OC as such.

Your answer is not technical MOD..I was looking for something like temperature gain of the chip during normal use and during over clocking too.Second i know this also manufacturer can decide abt heat sink,but i have special case only the board i got is without heat sink.I think it is missing on the board.The model of MSI945gc comes all ready with that heat sink i checked it on website:mad:

further there is no answer for my BIOS upgrade and Hardware Monitor problem:mad:

Third i had done very nice clocking to my CPU with same board before BIOS upgrade to 35% near about.:tongue:

That means my Entry Level board can give me more juice...:tongue:

First, I don't think that answer was from a moderator in that capacity, so you should address him by the user handle.

Second, if your motherboard is supposed to come with a heatsink and yours doesn't have one, you should first write to the manufacturer to find out why it is missing and whether it is necessary.

Third, if you have lost features and performance by doing a BIOS upgrade you need to roll back the BIOS. You need to find out what the earlier BIOS version was, or ask the BIOS program to roll back from the backup. If you haven't kept a BIOS backup file then you need to download the BIOS files available on the MSI site.

Fourth, It is not necessary for the south bridge to have a heatsink in order to OC. Unless you're pushing the HTT frequency beyond 1 GHz (you're on Inel, this does not apply but is nice to know). If it does have a heatsink, it is because it needs it under all conditions.

Adding a heatsink on the SB will help it run cooler. Does it need to? You put your finger on it and tell us.

Your problems can be solved by rolling the BIOS back.

You are here to ask for help, and i dont think by showing attitude you will get more help from members/experts.

As sangram put it nicely, if you have lost your OC feature after bios upgrade then roll it back. And most of entry level board do not require a heat sink on the southbridge. So check again with the manufacturer, and remember there are different revisions of the same board which might change certain specifications as well.

sangram said:
First, I don't think that answer was from a moderator in that capacity, so you should address him by the user handle.

Second, if your motherboard is supposed to come with a heatsink and yours doesn't have one, you should first write to the manufacturer to find out why it is missing and whether it is necessary.

Third, if you have lost features and performance by doing a BIOS upgrade you need to roll back the BIOS. You need to find out what the earlier BIOS version was, or ask the BIOS program to roll back from the backup. If you haven't kept a BIOS backup file then you need to download the BIOS files available on the MSI site.

Fourth, It is not necessary for the south bridge to have a heatsink in order to OC. Unless you're pushing the HTT frequency beyond 1 GHz (you're on Inel, this does not apply but is nice to know). If it does have a heatsink, it is because it needs it under all conditions.

Adding a heatsink on the SB will help it run cooler. Does it need to? You put your finger on it and tell us.

Your problems can be solved by rolling the BIOS back.

Thanks very much for your good reply,Now it is clear there is no need of heat sink.But still will add that heat sink to chip..My problem solved i have backup of my old BIOS so i will rollback by re programing.:)

cool_boy4ua said:
Now it is clear there is no need of heat sink.But still will add that heat sink to chip..
Make sure the HSF surface in contact with the south bridge is smooth and so is the South bridge. If this is not the case, mounting a HSF will cause southbridge to over heat (no proper contact and/or too much paste in between) which would then lead to unnecessary problems.

There is no harm in trying, and it is a good mod. But make sure u r doing it right.

Wat HSF u planning to mount on the south bridge?

TheMask said:
Make sure the HSF surface in contact with the south bridge is smooth and so is the South bridge. If this is not the case, mounting a HSF will cause southbridge to over heat (no proper contact and/or too much paste in between) which would then lead to unnecessary problems.

There is no harm in trying, and it is a good mod. But make sure u r doing it right.

Wat HSF u planning to mount on the south bridge?

Thanks for your precautions ...I am going to attach HSF from my old damaged graphics card MX440.

cool_boy4ua said:
I am going to attach HSF from my old damaged graphics card MX440.
Make sure the HSF has a flat surface and the mounting holes are aligned with the holes on the mobo (around the south bridge). If not, how are u planning to secure the HSF?

TheMask said:
Make sure the HSF has a flat surface and the mounting holes are aligned with the holes on the mobo (around the south bridge). If not, how are u planning to secure the HSF?

Ya there is little problem with the alignment holes but i will modify the holes on HFS with drill machine carefully without damaging the flatness of surface.

I am using consistent G31 motherboard.

what to do if heat sink of south bridge position get disturbed or comes out. By this issue will i face any problem or not
Also tell how to fix south bridge heat sink , where to by thermal paste or pad or other thing which is required to fix heat sink of south bridge

TELL ME HOW IMPORTANT IS HEAT SINK ON THE SOUTH BRIDGE CHIP OF MB WHICH CONTROLS IDE AND USB.:huh: :huh:

I GOT MOTHERBOARD MSI 945GC F V2 WITHOUT HEAT SINK ON SOUTH BRIDGE AND AM REALLY WORRIED ABOUT IT.

ALSO AFTER UPGRADING TO LATEST BIOS FROM MSI LIVE UPDATE ONLINE I AM UNABLE TO OVER CLOCK MY CPU EVEN NOT 1% AND PC HEALTH MONITOR IS NOT WORKING IN BIOS:( :( :(

I AM PLANING TO INSTALL STOCK HEAT SINK OF SOUTH BRIDGE BY MYSELF.:no: :no: :no: :no:

Last edited:
Back