is it okay to run multiple anti-virus softwares?

eagle004

Disciple
i am using windows vista. i plan on using nod 32 as well as avg. I plan on using avg as my default anti-airus software running all the time whereas i would to occcasionally scan my system using nod32 for viruses.ther eason i don't want nod32 running all the time is becuase when i installed azuerus vuze , i got a warning that nod32 has something that does something to azuerus and so i may have to disable if i encounter any problems.i don't want my already crappy download speeds to be affected by nod32.

Also any better anti-virus softwares available?? ( i don't want any that come with huge blotwares or are heavy on the system or mess up my video codec pack.

Apart from these i use ad-aware 2007 and windows defender---i am happy with both.So plan to stick with them.

any suggestions will be helpful!

Please stay away frm AVG, its hopeless. It just *cannot* detect all the viruses. Avoid using more than one antivirus. Its gonna make your system damn slow. Try kaspersky, its pretty good.

As a side note, use utorrent instead of azureus.

No my friend. Having two AVs do not give you any extra protection, on the contrary you are inviting serious problem including system instability.

Any anti Virus uses Virus Signatures which is the core detection database for it. Now every virus database is unique for that particular program. Any other program will see virus signatures as Virus, and hence conflict and ultimately serious system instability. If you try to install some AVs you may find thatv it is asking your assurance that no other AV is installed in your system.

So does not matter whether you want to keep one running and the other dormant, services of the both AVs will run at the background causing conflicts.

If you want to secure, let me suggest the following:

1. AV- NOD32 or Kaspersky

2. Firewall- Comodo Personal Firewall Pro - this is Free.

3. AVG AntiSpyware or SUPER AntiSpyware

4. Spybot S&D (check whether it is Vista Compatible yet) with TeaTimer enabled.

5. AdAware SE is a very good software, though there is no need to go for Pro version as Real Time Ad Stopper is not that necessary. A simple AdBlockPlus extension with FireFox 2.0 will do that for you.

I personally feel that Windows Defender is not that effective and it has a history and reputation of being buggy. I never encountered a positive review about this piece and many call it a junk. I do not and will not use it. Though the choice is ultimately yours.

:)

an intelligent user is far better than any first grade pro version of X antivirus .

I suggest Avast antivirus / Zone Alarm / Hijack this

All of them are free , and do well . And just dont click on funny links .

HijackThis is not a security program, it can be used to analyze a system. Removing anything with this without knowing will simply wreck your system. There are forums available where certified volunteers help you to analyse and clean your system using HJT and other tools, for free.

You can have it, you may run it, but do not remove anything with it without being helped by people/ forums like those certified by ASAP (Alliance of Security Analysis Professionals).

Best: Kaspersky Internet Security Suite 7 - Inbuilt Firewall, Antivirus, Trojan Remover (Requires Well Knowledge to set Firewall else you are not able to access some good site who use tracking cookies) 1 GB RAM is good else you find system slow.

Better: NOD32 + COMODO FIREWALL + BoClean + Lavasoft Spyware 2007

I'm using NOD32 on Vista x64 with BitTyrant (a port of Azureus) with absolutely no problem. Been using NOD32 with BitTyrant for as along as I can remember, right from when I was on WinXP x64. I suggest you just ignore that error. I did get that error too, but have not run into any problems, so why worry?!

Using 2 antivirus will NOT screw up ur comp...virus signatures r different from viruses,,,its like a collection of symptoms...
so two antivirus wont ScREw upp..

but wat dey will do is:-

1. slow ur disk access like hell..
2. if its a popular virus and both detect it, den there will be access conflics for the infected file,
3. their virus vaults where they store/backup safely infected files my create conflicts..

so use one single antivirus,,,

use a single suite like kaspersky,,its d best,,

n for better results be a bit descrete wid ur browsing...
also, if u plan to keep one av. dormant, den make sure u shut down d services through progs interface and manually too....

And windows defender is the best and simplest if u have genuine windows..,,, been tracking it since a Long time...

Back