Video Is it possible to run a kerosene fueled generator with diesel?

prasanth11

Disciple
Is it possible to run a kerosene fueled generator with diesel?
This question may appear very weird,but i need to know the answer from technical people
Does this will effect the engine of Generator?
should there be any need to change filter or any alteration to make engine run on diesel?
I read the more smoke will come if diesel is used?is it true?

You can use Diesel in Kerosene run generator very safely unlike vise-versa.

kerosene and diesel have very similar burning properties and so diesel will run good in kerosene generator.But remember since there is viscosity difference also between the two you will have to use the throttle tuner to rev it a bit slow as diesel is more potent with more lubricating properties.

About the Smoke question :
I read the more smoke will come if diesel is used?is it true?

No .On the contrary less smoke will emit when used with Diesel.

However just out of curiosity.People usually want to run Kerosene (Which involves more fuel filter cleaning,injector cleaning )in Diesel Generator.Why do you wish to set back on costlier fuel in Diesel?

freshseasons1 said:
You can use Diesel in Kerosene run generator very safely unlike vise-versa.

kerosene and diesel have very similar burning properties and so diesel will run good in kerosene generator.But remember since there is viscosity difference also between the two you will have to use the throttle tuner to rev it a bit slow as diesel is more potent with more lubricating properties.

However just out of curiosity.People usually want to run Kerosene (Which involves more fuel filter cleaning,injector cleaning )in Diesel Generator.Why do you wish to set back on costlier fuel in Diesel?
infact kerosene is cheaper

Availability of white kerosene is getiing less now-a-days,

Only subsized blue kerosene is available,which is cant be used in firms or institutions,where propers bills have to be produced for the fuel usage..even that blue kerosene in black market costing 25-30rs/ltr

White kerosene is almost not available anywhere nearer to us.

If diesel can be used,it safe to maintain records

as long as proper bills are maintained ,cost would not be a problem

But to reduce the viscosity can we add engline oil to diesel?? (i'm noob in this field,thats why i was asking such stupid questions)

as such i asked many mechanics ,whether diesel can be used?they told no never use diesel.they told no further modification cant be done to generator

its HONDA EXK 2800 model generator

Can normal mechanic can tune the motor,if he asked to modify it? even myself can tune ?

You need to add oil when using Kerosene not viseversa.Never use oil with Diesel.

I have seen people around here with same problem.I have a kirloskar generator in office which works great with both kerosene and Diesel.

The headache like injector tuning,oil filters cleaning,adding oil, is with kerosene not diesel. Diesel one can use as it is.

I think a local mechanic specifically one (Not General vehicle mechanic )who repairs generators or works on one will help you with some small fee

I was able to get the thing done in about 500Rs with his guarantee that it will not break down.

You just need to look further.Where do you stay by the well ?

What did mechanic to your genset?

I stay in Andhra pradesh

I was talking to two generator mechanics about use of diesel,but they simply telling that "Diesel cant be used.Never try that"

One mechanic repairs motors and generators,electrical appliances.Other one also repairs Generators. (when we enquired this guy,he told that its matter of small instrument,small alteration will do and then he came to office to see the generator personally, he told that its not possible,he thought its a diesel one ,in that case it can be turned to kerosene one,but not from kerosene to diesel and also advised me never ever try diesel

Initially i thought that diesel will work,but upon these two mechanics' statements,i was scared that i may screwup generator)

If you can elaborate,what exactly has to be done ,may be i can inturn explain to the person and see whether he can succeed or not

if i directly use diesel directly without any modification,will it screw up everything?

Nope it will not screw up . Let me contact my mechanic here.However do you know hindi since he cannot converse in English.If you know hindi i will send you his mobile no. Give me a day till i take things into confidence.

thanks for you concern,I can speak little understandable hindi, But i can understand hindi with no problem

I will wait for for your reply.I will be grateful to you,if this thing is sorted out

Hmm if you cannot speak it will be difficult for you to converse.

Nor do i think i can drive some sense in this mechanic that all Indians dont speak Hindi.

In Nagpur the world stars 15 kms north and ends another 15 km South.Will be one way communication for you.

Let me have a talk with him.I will be Back.

What is the capacity if the generator?. Is the generator is designed to start on petrol and run on kerosene. If your answer is yes then you cant convert to diesel. Its a Spark ignition engine. Diesel engines are compression ignition engines which can run kerosene or even peanut oil

bumping an old thread, but is it harmful to run a "petrol start kerosene run" generator on petrol all the time?

Also, can petrol be put in the kerosene tank without cleaning?

(Birla Ecogen 700 IIRC)

Where to buy Lombardini diesel engine and how much cost will be?

I want to a custom make diesel generator for personal use. For the alternator part and trolly, I can take care.
I have a dream project of making lister engine to run on bio fuels. Greaves cotton (lombardini) has 350 cc engine producing 6HP and 3500 rpm which is the same engine used in Diesel bullets. You can couple 3.5KVA alternator which is more than sufficient to run the home including A/C. Price should not be more than 10~15K. It is available freely in the market.

Back