Is it Router or the ISP ?

Have MTNL ADSL connection.

And with that I use Netgear's DG834G Wifi modem cum router.

Now the problem is that my connection keeps dropping every hour or so, sometimes three to four times in an hour itself.

Also it drops when there is a call on my cordless phone, which is on the same 2.4 GHz frequency. I tried changing channels, troubleshot with the helpline, but to no avail. I finally gave up.

Now in spite of no phone calls on my landline my connection keeps dropping.

I am wondering.

1. Is it a problem with my Netgear router ?

OR

2. There is a problem with my ISP i.e. MTNL ?

Help from DG834G owners will be highly appreciated.

Crackling noise will often disconnect your BB, contact telephone provider to fix it if you hear crackling noise on the phone. DG834G works fine on very low SNRs and they are stable, i dont think there is any problem with ur router unless it has any fault. Change ur filter, and if you are connecting to extension socket, try to connect with main socket. If you still have dropping connection, then contact MTNL to reslove this issue.
BTW when you drop connection, is it drop in ur sync or PPP.

Thanks people,

@ Maddy,

1. What is a filter ? Are you refering to the splitter, that splits the line between what does to the Router and Telephone ?

maddy_in65 said:
BTW when you drop connection, is it drop in ur sync or PPP.

Have no idea what this means. Can you please elaborate?

Yes that's what he meant. Change your ADSL splitter to see if that's causing the problem.

I would do the following things to correct MTNL ADSl issues before going to MTNL tech support. I infact did these.

1. Check/change the existing the ADSL splitter. You can get one for like 50 bucks.

2. Check the wiring from the MTNL junction box to your flat/house. In some buildings the builder uses pretty cheap quality telephone cable which probably is good enough for Voice but not good enough for ADSL

3. ADSL stats on the router (SNR, Attenuation, link speed)

For issues 1 and 2 doing them yourself is faster than trying to have MTNL do it for you. For the 3rd MTNL Tech support is the only option :)

@Ragin, got your PM.

As mentioned above have you tried with other splitter, also check internal phone wiring. Now when your connection drops, have you seen sync light flashing or its still constant. Please post SNR and line rate in order to check whether it is line problem or ISP issue (For PPP disconnect). Please check whether your line has buzzing noise on phone.

Even I had the same problem. I would like to know how you have connected the phone and router. Here is my setup:

Main line to ADSL splitter. From the data port, it goes straight to the ADSL router. In the phone port, I've attached a phone line splitter. From one port, I've connected a regular corded phone, while on another, I've connected my cordless. This way there will be no interference on the line. I bought the phone splitter for Rs.25 at an electric store. See if this setup works for you.

There should not be any parallel phone line while using broadband (this holds good for MTNL). Please check-up. If only one cordless and modem are connected, prob lies somewhere else otherwise extra telephone line (other than cordless) is causing drops

Back