Is it safe to use heating rod with chrome plating coming off?

6pack

ex-Mod
I bought a Havells heating rod with thermostat around 3 months back. Now i see at the bottom part of the rod where the rod is coiled, the chrome plating on the rod is wearing off. I wanted to upload a picture but the net is really bad now. Its like chrome paint has worn out and i can see the bare red copper shining through the silver chrome. I thought at first it was red colouring of the plastic bucket but turned out to be just copper.
Is it safe to use now? On quora, some say, if copper corrodes, the water in bucket will get electrified. some say it is safe to use but buy new one. And this thing costed like 980 or something. Quite shabby construction for an expensive heating rod imo. Made in India product is no better than the cheap useless made in China products. Probably even worse. Havells warranty denies warranty for plating coming off and everything else.So they know they are selling a rubbish product.

Copper has natural corrosion resistance. The chrome plating is for looks only.

If you're still concerned, don't touch the water when the heater is on. Or you can use a multimeter to check if the water is electrified wrt the floor for peace of mind. Also make sure the power outlet & your place is properly grounded.

I bought a Havells heating rod with thermostat around 3 months back. Now i see at the bottom part of the rod where the rod is coiled, the chrome plating on the rod is wearing off. I wanted to upload a picture but the net is really bad now. Its like chrome paint has worn out and i can see the bare red copper shining through the silver chrome. I thought at first it was red colouring of the plastic bucket but turned out to be just copper.
Is it safe to use now? On quora, some say, if copper corrodes, the water in bucket will get electrified. some say it is safe to use but buy new one. And this thing costed like 980 or something. Quite shabby construction for an expensive heating rod imo. Made in India product is no better than the cheap useless made in China products. Probably even worse. Havells warranty denies warranty for plating coming off and everything else.So they know they are selling a rubbish product.
It can be used. I've used rusted one also after cleaning it without any problem. However for safety do not touch the water when the rod is immersed and switched on.

Back