PC Peripherals Is it the RAM or the Mobo that is faulty

Tarcxy

Disciple
Ok..I came across this issue when i was installing GTA EFLC..It wouldnt install and gave me an CRC error..I updated the firmware of the dvd drive and also ran chkdsk (no error) and also no luck in the installation..Finally I went to diagonise the ram sticks..

I ran memtest with both my sticks..In the first pass, 2nd test itself, it gave an error saying "Unexpected Interrupt - Halting" and it stopped..
Then I removed the 2nd RAM stick and ran the test with only one..same result..Then moved the same stick to the second slot in the mobo, same result..Ok this stick is faulty..No probs RMA it.
What confused me was the second stick..I removed the first stick and inserted the second stick in the first slot..Now, it didnt even show any display :S..then I moved this second stick to the second slot..this time display popped up, memtest ran fine and didnt have any errors..

So, does this suggest that the first slot in the mobo is also faulty..And the second stick is working good?..I am confused..:S:huh:

And I have tried this a lot of times with different bios setting and got the same result as described above..I am gonna RMA the RAM sticks anyway ..but should I also do the same for my mobo..

My mobo is around 1.5 years old..tried cleaning the whole pc :) No luck
The thing is, the same slot game me an error some 6 months back..I had sent it to the service center and got it repaired..It seems the same issue has cropped up..Sending both RAM and mobo for RMA..Thanx :)

Back