Budget Above 40k Is it the right time to buy iPhone 11…?

Basically if you go online..forget about privacy..personally doesn't bother me...but banking and certain work related documents..how do you store them? Completely offline? How does online banking work then?

Apple and Facebook trade accusations over data privacy​

Technology groups locked in stand-off as they face antitrust scrutiny from regulators

Late on Thursday, Facebook released its own scathing statement that highlighted a number of privacy concerns about Apple’s business and called the iPhone maker’s letter a deliberate “distraction” from those issues. It also claimed Apple was “using their dominant market position to self-preference their own data collection while making it nearly impossible for their competitors to use the same data”. Recommended Inside BusinessRichard Waters The rush to constrain the power of Amazon, Apple, Facebook and Google “They claim it’s about privacy, but it’s about profit,” Facebook said. “We are not fooled. This is all part of a transformation of Apple’s business away from innovative hardware products to data-driven software and media.”

No idea why you linked the batterygate settlement over here. Apple hid information from its users irrespective of its intentions and has paid for it. At least they are held accountable in the US, unlike most manufacturers from China who are directly working for their government and will never be held accountable.

I think the irony of Facebook complaining about data collection is lost on you. This was basically Facebook ranting about Apple clamping down on Facebook's unethical data collection practices.

The worst was when they released a free VPN that basically directed all traffic to Facebook for data harvesting.

If you want a better view how iOS 14 has made ad networks nervous, you can read it below:

No idea why you linked the batterygate settlement over here. Apple hid information from its users irrespective of its intentions and has paid for it. At least they are held accountable in the US, unlike most manufacturers from China who are directly working for their government and will never be held accountable.

I think the irony of Facebook complaining about data collection is lost on you. This was basically Facebook ranting about Apple clamping down on Facebook's unethical data collection practices.

The worst was when they released a free VPN that basically directed all traffic to Facebook for data harvesting.

If you want a better view how iOS 14 has made ad networks nervous, you can read it below:
You say they hid information so lightly.

If they can hide one thing they can hide anything. Where do you draw the line? How do you trust someone who decides when to lie?

I am not saying fb is reliable by any stretch of the imagination. However the point is that Apple is not a saint otherwise all these cases and allegations won't happen. They would be won and not settled with penalties.

The idea that Apple is some saint at security is just advertising. That is where the blind trust and advertising is the most harmful. Apple users will be sitting at home sipping coffee thinking they are 100% safe. At this time, an android user will be trying to erect firewalls and VPN as they are aware of possible data threats. Who do you think is more Secure? Blind trust or well prepared?

have Samsung been involved in security breaches as well? Lenovo? Google? Motorola?

Ofcourse if you buy a Chinese phone, you kind of know the deal beforehand that you protect your data from the world or the manufacturer will take itm

You say they hid information so lightly.

If they can hide one thing they can hide anything. Where do you draw the line? How do you trust someone who decides when to lie?

I am not saying fb is reliable by any stretch of the imagination. However the point is that Apple is not a saint otherwise all these cases and allegations won't happen. They would be won and not settled with penalties.

The idea that Apple is some saint at security is just advertising. That is where the blind trust and advertising is the most harmful. Apple users will be sitting at home sipping coffee thinking they are 100% safe. At this time, an android user will be trying to erect firewalls and VPN as they are aware of possible data threats. Who do you think is more Secure? Blind trust or well prepared?

have Samsung been involved in security breaches as well? Lenovo? Google? Motorola?

Ofcourse if you buy a Chinese phone, you kind of know the deal beforehand that you protect your data from the world or the manufacturer will take itm
Of course, no company is a saint. Apple is as cunning as it comes when it is about making money.

However, at the same time, Apple is the company that has most problems with law enforcement agencies like FBI because of their security and reluctance to share data whereas Microsoft and Google have known agreements to hand over data when requested. Also, you can see the financial statements of Apple to see where they make their money and most of it comes from hardware and subscriptions as against Google/Facebook who are reliant on selling ads based on user data.

You can always trace everything down to money and Apple has the least incentive to collect data as they are not making money selling it.

Of course, no company is a saint. Apple is as cunning as it comes when it is about making money.

However, at the same time, Apple is the company that has most problems with law enforcement agencies like FBI because of their security and reluctance to share data whereas Microsoft and Google have known agreements to hand over data when requested. Also, you can see the financial statements of Apple to see where they make their money and most of it comes from hardware and subscriptions as against Google/Facebook who are reliant on selling ads based on user data.

You can always trace everything down to money and Apple has the least incentive to collect data as they are not making money selling it.
They are making money via data indirectly though. They allow Google to collect data on chrome.

For this Google pays apple about 12 billion dollars annually roughly 20% of apples revenue

Yes exactly and as he said Google does that to gather data which apple knows too

If your tenant gave you money to look away while they commit a murder in your house, would you be an accomplice or guilty?

Well see Google's entire revenue is based on collecting info and showing ads. You can change the default search engine if you like. I don't see anything wrong in getting paid to be default search engine. The amount is very very lucrative.

Well see Google's entire revenue is based on collecting info and showing ads. You can change the default search engine if you like. I don't see anything wrong in getting paid to be default search engine. The amount is very very lucrative.
Yes definitely but how does this absolve apple of blame? They can just say no our users privacy is the most important thing in the world to us and we will not let you commit murder in our house not under our watch?

Clearly they are choosing to overlook privacy for money

If Google indeed pays Apple to remain the default search engine and Apple despite knowing the fact that it may hamper security of their phones then Apple is same guilty as Google.
They do it came up in front of regulators during the recent antitrust case against Google

They do it came up in front of regulators during the recent antitrust case against Google

Indeed, it is all about money. But I never use Safari or Google. I would recommend using Brave with Startpage which includes anonymised results from Google.

Indeed, it is all about money. But I never use Safari or Google. I would recommend using Brave with Startpage which includes anonymised results from Google.
Have you thought about why Brave is free and not paid if they claim not to track users?.
Actually Brave is built on chromium engine which is developed by Google and Brave only eliminates ads and ad Trackers in website. While eliminating those ads and ad trackers, it displays its own ads which are anonymised based on the browsers user base.
Now how is the browser user base identified, ex. This group of user base belongs with age 25-35 or has interest in a particular topic? A big question again which cannot be achieved without creating a model of the user. To create a model, again one needs to track what a user do.

Have you thought about why Brave is free and not paid if they claim not to track users?.
Actually Brave is built on chromium engine which is developed by Google and Brave only eliminates ads and ad Trackers in website. While eliminating those ads and ad trackers, it displays its own ads which are anonymised based on the browsers user base.
Now how is the browser user base identified, ex. This group of user base belongs with age 25-35 or has interest in a particular topic? A big question again which cannot be achieved without creating a model of the user. To create a model, again one needs to track what a user do.
Yes, I have read the FAQ on their website.

The tracking is linked to Brave Rewards which I have never enabled as I don't care about BAT. Their other income source is through tie-ups with various crypto wallets and exchanges which I have again disabled. They have to earn money, but are at least transparent about it.

Also, it phones home a lot less than other browsers which you can read about below:

Microsoft with its Edge browser actually constantly phones home with persistent identifiers across sessions.

Last edited:
Yes, I have read the FAQ on their website.

The tracking is linked to Brave Rewards which I have never enabled as I don't care about BAT. Their other income source is through tie-ups with various crypto wallets and exchanges which I have again disabled. They have to earn money, but are at least transparent about it.

Also, it phones home a lot less than other browsers which you can read about below:
Both google and apple are transparent about what data they collect. Only thing is they bury them under the terms and conditions or user agreements which is difficult to comprehend and understand for normal user.

Both google and apple are transparent about what data they collect. Only thing is they bury them under the terms and conditions or user agreements which is difficult to comprehend and understand for normal user.
Data collection is inevitable but it comes down to how much it is anonymised. In that sense, Google does quite a good job as there hasn't been any identifiable leaks at their end. Microsoft collects data a lot with persistent identifiers, especially on Windows. Facebook is at the worst end of the spectrum along with Chinese platforms like Alibaba.

Back