Is it wise to go for Nokia N8 ?

anfjavid

Skilled
After reading some recent posts in some websites (as a result of googling) including nokia official forum, i would like to go for the N8 as it seems some of the major issues have been resolved. In my e71, i use the following apps viz., best call recorder, paragon handy calculator, guardian platinum, quickoffice adobe/word reader, skype, xplore, msdict dictionaries, corecodec player, best timer, power mp3, LCG jukebox, google maps, eqrestart and resco photoviewer and opera mobile.

I think all the above apps are available for N8. I dont use these social widgets, and even email i need only on demand syncing. So for the above usage Nokia n8 is enough or not ?. plz advice. I heard that with dual mode , wifi scanning, widgets, bluetooth, off i can get 2 days battery life with extensive use of wifi and other apps like quickoffice (no active gprs or wifi or other social apps which sync with wifi or gprs throughout the day)...

I am scratching my head on this for several weeks. I have already seen the 02x, sgs2, etc and i feel the N8's build, audio, video quality, call quality especially camera and the battery is excellent when compared to the latest smartphones in the market....

plz plz help me guys... I am desperately in need of help now...
C7 , c6-01 , and all phones which doesnt have autofocus are ruled out because of the absence of this feature which is very essential for me...

You can very well go with N8 as you get a trust Nokia good build quality handset. As you told you are not in social networking widgets and dont need constant syncing (something that android users have ON full time), you can very well expect an excellent battery life. Nokia is known for better battery management and also since you won't be having data full time ON you need not worry.

You all other requirements in terms of apps is fulfilled by Nokia.

With Sleeping Screen installed ( its a standby screen app ) , last.fm scrobbler , whatsapp always connected to the internet. Push notifications for Twitter , email set to 10minute sync and extensive usage of the music player i get through 1 and atleast another work day. Battery life shouldn't be a problem. I'm on 2G mode though.

dhruvrock2000 said:
With Sleeping Screen installed ( its a standby screen app ) , last.fm scrobbler , whatsapp always connected to the internet. Push notifications for Twitter , email set to 10minute sync and extensive usage of the music player i get through 1 and atleast another work day. Battery life shouldn't be a problem. I'm on 2G mode though.
Thank you guys, since i will be spending more than 20k for this unit i dont want to waste my hard earned money. thats why.

So if the LG optimus 2x comes with the official Gingerbread update, is there any hope that it will win the NOKIA in terms of battery life ?. Moreover Nokia N8 has portrait qwerty or not ?. OMG i think no... Then i have to think about it ...

anfjavid said:
Thank you guys, since i will be spending more than 20k for this unit i dont want to waste my hard earned money. thats why.

So if the LG optimus 2x comes with the official Gingerbread update, is there any hope that it will win the NOKIA in terms of battery life ?. Moreover Nokia N8 has portrait qwerty or not ?. OMG i think no... Then i have to think about it ...

You will get portrait QWERTY after anna update. Just wait. Dont write off this awesome piece of HW just because of this.

Ok, then will wait for the Anna update, but these nokia people just keep telling since April that will be released in the following month. Will it be released before the end of July atleast ?. If it comes with a potrait qwerty minus any issues with major bug fixes then surely my new phone will be the N8 undoubtedly...

Will pray that this new update should not create any new issues with the existing functionalities which work fine ....

dhruvrock2000 said:
No there are no issues with Anna. New N8s are already shipping with Anna on the phone not too sure whether the new stock has reached India yet or not though.
Called Nokia customer care, and i was told by an executive that Anna is a completely different OS which is irrelevant to symbian. And nokia n8 will never have Anna or the PR 2.0. Additionally he assured that it wont have the portrait qwerty even in future. But on the contrary he also agrees that initially it came with PR 1.0 and 1.1 . Moreover he confuses this PR 2.0 with the firmware update version which is x.14xxx.

Now i am a bit confused. Actually what is the difference between the FW version and PR versions guys. That guy is confusing me a lot and talking absolute BS..

@anfjavid : Could you send me the details of whom you contacted via PM , i'll look into it.

Rest assured , the Nokia N8 will definitely get the Anna update and another major UI update sometime in the near future. And as you can see from that X7 video , the portrait keyboard is definitely present.

PR refers to Public Release. Original FW was PR 1.0 followed by two small updates referred to as PR 1.1 and PR 1.2. Anna (PR 2.0) is a major update , there is a lot of code clean up and preparation for the next major update which will be mostly UI centric. This would be PR 3.0.

dhruvrock2000 said:
@anfjavid : Could you send me the details of whom you contacted via PM , i'll look into it.

Rest assured , the Nokia N8 will definitely get the Anna update and another major UI update sometime in the near future. And as you can see from that X7 video , the portrait keyboard is definitely present.

PR refers to Public Release. Original FW was PR 1.0 followed by two small updates referred to as PR 1.1 and PR 1.2. Anna (PR 2.0) is a major update , there is a lot of code clean up and preparation for the next major update which will be mostly UI centric. This would be PR 3.0.
i contacted the cc via 08030303838. Dont know the name of the person to whom i spoke. It seems his knowledge is very limited as he wasnt able to understand portrait qwerty. He just replied it is touchscreen phone. Very funny... think this is the 1st time he comes across such a term when the phone is released a year back....

This only shows the ignorance level of nokia Employees...

I would say go ahead and buy the n8.you wont regret it.

also the person you spoke to,is absolute noob who is not worth sitting in that chair of callcenter.

dont get biased with his views.

pratikb said:
I would say go ahead and buy the n8.you wont regret it.
also the person you spoke to,is absolute noob who is not worth sitting in that chair of callcenter.
dont get biased with his views.
some people say that installing 3rd party apps will freeze the phone frequently. And what about 720p video streaming via wifi ? You mean
I can buy it tomorrow itself without 2nd thought and need not wait for the anna ?. is the anna
Fully reliable ? Finally, do you own this phone ?.

One more reason to get N8:

Atleast in India N8 has the best resale value of any phone priced above 20k.

I am not saying that you will be selling it soon after buying,but still it is a reassuring thought.

I will say one thing,if you get your apps from ovi store and i am sure,your apps are all their that you dont have to get them from some other place.

and keep your phone updated to latest version.you wont have issues.

and last thing I use atrix after getting bored of lack of medical apps and any kind of upcoming apps for symbian,I switched over to android.

but i still use my nokia.

I will say confirm with your local shop that whether this is new stock with anna onboard.

Only suggestion , I will give is ANNA is coming and it has to come.dont worry.

Yes you can go ahead and buy it.

i mean playing 720p mkv movies from the files located in my desktop computer through wifi. And are there good dictionaries for n8 ?.

i hope the apps developed for ^3 will work with the anna update without any compatibility issues. the only thing which is holding me back is the lack of future applications for symbian/anna :( And dictionary apps are very essential for me...

Back