Is it wise to go for Nokia N8 ?

anfjavid

Skilled
After reading some recent posts in some websites (as a result of googling) including nokia official forum, i would like to go for the N8 as it seems some of the major issues have been resolved. In my e71, i use the following apps viz., best call recorder, paragon handy calculator, guardian platinum, quickoffice adobe/word reader, skype, xplore, msdict dictionaries, corecodec player, best timer, power mp3, LCG jukebox, google maps, eqrestart and resco photoviewer and opera mobile.

I think all the above apps are available for N8. I dont use these social widgets, and even email i need only on demand syncing. So for the above usage Nokia n8 is enough or not ?. plz advice. I heard that with dual mode , wifi scanning, widgets, bluetooth, off i can get 2 days battery life with extensive use of wifi and other apps like quickoffice (no active gprs or wifi or other social apps which sync with wifi or gprs throughout the day)...

I am scratching my head on this for several weeks. I have already seen the 02x, sgs2, etc and i feel the N8's build, audio, video quality, call quality especially camera and the battery is excellent when compared to the latest smartphones in the market....

plz plz help me guys... I am desperately in need of help now...
C7 , c6-01 , and all phones which doesnt have autofocus are ruled out because of the absence of this feature which is very essential for me...

Yea there are dictionary apps. And who says there won't be any future apps for Anna o_O ???? Nokia is investing millions into the Qt ecosystem to have cross platform apps which would run on S40 . S^3 , MeeGo and theoretically even Android.

Regarding 720p , well mkv is a hit or miss , some might not work but 720p mp4 / avi clips work beautifully.

With a hope i am not disturbing you much, one question , are all the s60v5 apps compatible with ^3 / Anna ?. Because i find most of the applications are s60v5 ones and came across certain msdict viewer s60v5 dictionaries where it has been reported that there is a minor incompatibility with the ^ 3 platform.

One thing mate, i dont want to loose anything by switching to Nokia N8 as i have a bunch of the aforesaid applications running flawlessly in my Nokia e71. So by migrating to the n8 it should be an E71+ and there should not be a single minus when compared to e71.

ANd i am very surprised to notice that in a single day there are more than 100 views of this thread which i didnt expect as most of the portals say that the nokia N8 which possess an excellent masterpiece of hardware is ruined by the symbian ^3 platform. But now i understand that still there are n8 lovers who always wanted Nokia to prosper by coming with a good O/s and application which performs well without a hitch..

^^Dude,it is probably the best phone in 20-22k range(me no andro or i phobic,but when it comes to reliability I still prefer my nokia/symbian over any other 30kish superphone)

anfjavid said:
With a hope i am not disturbing you much, one question , are all the s60v5 apps compatible with ^3 / Anna ?. Because i find most of the applications are s60v5 ones and came across certain msdict viewer s60v5 dictionaries where it has been reported that there is a minor incompatibility with the ^ 3 platform.

One thing mate, i dont want to loose anything by switching to Nokia N8 as i have a bunch of the aforesaid applications running flawlessly in my Nokia e71. So by migrating to the n8 it should be an E71+ and there should not be a single minus when compared to e71.

ANd i am very surprised to notice that in a single day there are more than 100 views of this thread which i didnt expect as most of the portals say that the nokia N8 which possess an excellent masterpiece of hardware is ruined by the symbian ^3 platform. But now i understand that still there are n8 lovers who always wanted Nokia to prosper by coming with a good O/s and application which performs well without a hitch..
Pretty much all of the S60v5 apps work on the N8. There might be a few ancient apps which won't but there are alternatives for those.

I agree with aka911. Nokia n8, you can always buy with confidence that it is easier to sell than any other brands. Nokia seems to have strong hold here in India. People feel comfortable with it. But the resale value might be lower compared to other android phones.

Recently i came to know that android phones are based on linux and unless the phone is rooted, file explorer apps like lcg xplore will function in read only mode only.

But rooting a phone will void warranty if i cannot succesfully unroot it. Moreover rooting itself is not 100% safe and i might end up bricking my phone. So i am scared to do all these and now i am going to wait for the anna update for n8.

what i understand from all these is the sym platform like windows is user friendly unlike linux. But the main thing i am very concerned is the screen resolution, a slow boring UI and the purple tint issue (which is very common among n8 phones)

Whether you believe it or not, I have had 5700, 5800 and Nokia X6 and all had very poor battery. However, my Curve 8520 is better than all these. And SGS and SGS2 pwn even the 8520 leave alone any Nokia as far as battery is concerned, and of course in other ways too which is more important for me. But as far as battery life is concerned, imo Nokia is the weakest contrary to what people claim.

My SGS2 with minimal tweaking can easily last 12-48 hours depending on how much you use it. Even top Nokia models don't last more than 12 hours with at most moderate usage.

I have not used Blackberry to comment on its battery life, but I have a Nokia 5800, which on my minimalistic usage (2 mins of calling a day, no SMS, WiFi 24 x 7) lasts me a decent 4 - 5 days. I have a HTC Desire HD too, which gives me 25 hours backup on a similar usage.

rite said:
Whether you believe it or not, I have had 5700, 5800 and Nokia X6 and all had very poor battery. However, my Curve 8520 is better than all these. And SGS and SGS2 pwn even the 8520 leave alone any Nokia as far as battery is concerned, and of course in other ways too which is more important for me. But as far as battery life is concerned, imo Nokia is the weakest contrary to what people claim.

My SGS2 with minimal tweaking can easily last 12-48 hours depending on how much you use it. Even top Nokia models don't last more than 12 hours with at most moderate usage.

Dude, what are you smoking? 5800 has one of the best battery lives ever. I'm on a C6 CFW (which itself provides less amount of battery life), atleast 1.5 hours of calling, 1 hour of video playback, constant messaging, some audio playback at times too and still it lasts 2 days easily. I seriously think you got a defective battery which you should've replaced while it was in warranty.

I also really doubt a BB can provide better battery than Nokia

@unni : Trust me even i'm waiting for that ! I spoke to them a few weeks back... apparently Operator Billing is a huge deal for Nokia and they want to get it right in one go. So talks with both Airtel and Vodafone are on. I'll keep you guys updated.

Back