Is it worth getting PS3 from the US?

Dhrubo

Disciple
Hey fellas. I have been contemplating on getting my first console, specially with the advent of motion based gaming. My cousin will be coming from the US and i am getting a PS3 + GOW I, II, III bundle at 300$ which roughly comes to around 13500 INR. I am planning to get the move starter pack from India as i did not find any price difference. I know i will be missing out on the warranty and i will have to get some adapters for the Indian voltage and frequency. Do you foresee any other problems that I might face? I really am a noob when it comes to console gaming.

Also the XBOX 360 4GB and Kinect bundle is coming at the same price. Which one do you think is a better buy? I am tilting towards the PS3 for for the following reasons -
1. It doubles up as a Blue ray player (?).
2. Some of the PS3 exclusive games.
3. Possibility of JB :bleh:

Suggestions are welcome.

TIA

My bad. Forgot to put in that. 160 GB. There's one more deal where 320 gb + move is being bundled for 399 $. But not sure whether I need that extra space. I was inclined more towards the 299 deal since the GOW is coming with it and i can spend the remaining for the Move. By the way there should not be any compatibility issues if i get the Move from here, isn't it?

Nope. It should work with the console from any part of the world. I guess 160GIG is more than enough. The price you're getting it at is far lesser compared to any of cheapest bundle deal you'll get over here.

PS3 From US.. Not another thread.. :|

Now that bundle u talkin abt.. the amazon deal isnt it ?
Let's See..

1) The Only deal worthwhile going for atm. Other packs are not worth it.
2) No issues regarding the voltage change. No transformer req.
3) Will have to look up Blue Ray movies from different region than India.
4) Ofc you loose the warranty.
5) Get the Starter Pack from USA:

i) India wont be receiving any starter pack as per the info i got
ii) Indian Starter packs only have the demo disk of Sports champion, US ver has full game (ofc you pay ~900 more. Worth it.).

Spacescreamer said:
PS3 From US.. Not another thread..

Tried searching the forum but could not find much :)

Now that bundle u talkin abt.. the amazon deal isnt it ?

Amazon deal does not have the GOW pack. It's a special deal for Black friday from gamestop. Only available at stores

5) Get the Starter Pack from USA:

i) India wont be receiving any starter pack as per the info i got
ii) Indian Starter packs only have the demo disk of Sports champion, US ver has full game (ofc you pay ~900 more. Worth it.).

Now that helps a lot. For 900 more it definitely is worth it. Thanks a lot fellas.

my vote goes for the PS3 MOVE bundle. The 320Gb hdd space will come into play when u'll store the JB games and other stuffs like movies & music. A PS3 is not worth it if you dont use it to the fullest. ;)

I am facing the same dilemma.

1) Plonk down $299.99 + Tax (24.00) for the Gamestop bundle which has a 160GB console plus GoW Collection and GoW III. Then get the Move Starter pack @ $99.99? Total spending = $424

2) Throw $399.00 at the Amazon Move 320GB bundle? (No tax) This will have the Move Sports Champions disc, so no point in getting an extra disc for JB ;)

My point is, if I am spending $400 anyway, then why not go in for double the HDD space and get the move bundle simultaneously?

I am sure the OP is also concerned about these points.

320GB Move bundle for 400USD! :O

Crap! Those are some amazing deals. Warranty should hardly be a concern - I am yet to see a PS3 slim go YLOD.

I just wanted to ask a similar question so i would just post it here.
Is there a Kick ass deal for just the Move starter pack in US as i already have a PS3.( Checked slickDeals but thr arnt any as of now :( )

apextwin146 said:
I just wanted to ask a similar question so i would just post it here.

Is there a Kick ass deal for just the Move starter pack in US as i already have a PS3.( Checked slickDeals but thr arnt any as of now :( )
Unfortunately there are no deals going on the Move Starter pack. It also seems as if there won't be any deals in the future either as a) Its a money making machine for Sony and b) Move Starter packs are being discontinued, and Move accessories will be available either separately, or as part of a PS3 console bundle.

vercetti said:
would u get the GST back...making it 380$

u get the GST back if u move out of the country within 30 days of buying the item
I don't think it works that way with purchases made in the US. Also arriving at customs is a hit or miss thing, and if you get stopped, then saving those $20 becomes a moot point.

I am so utterly confused. $299 (+tax) bundle from Gamestop with GoW Collection and GoW 3? Or $399 Move bundle from Amazon? Get the Move at all or not? Too many decisions!

^I'd say ditch the Move unless you intend to play some titles with your friends back here. Otherwise the controller might just lay in some stash catching dust later on.

phoenix844884 said:
Unfortunately there are no deals going on the Move Starter pack. It also seems as if there won't be any deals in the future either as a) Its a money making machine for Sony and b) Move Starter packs are being discontinued, and Move accessories will be available either separately, or as part of a PS3 console bundle.
I was afraid of the Same. Would probably get a Kinect from US since its retailing for $150 there as compared to 9.5K in India.

I am so utterly confused. $299 (+tax) bundle from Gamestop with GoW Collection and GoW 3? Or $399 Move bundle from Amazon? Get the Move at all or not? Too many decisions!

If you are going to JB it why would you need the Games(GOW Series)?
Also Most of the Move games work on 3.41 FW so purely from a Unethical( :p ) perspective you should get the Move bundle to minimise your cost.

On another note Black Friday is pretty Lame this year.

you may have already played gow 1 and 2, so leave that, you can get a used GOW III in india for about 1400 bucks. I'd suggest you do get the ps3 move bundle.

I am new to console gaming. Haven't played any game aman. :ashamed:
You guys have confused me now. I was thinking of getting the GOW bundle as I have heard that it's the best game on this console. And I could possibly sell them in the future as well. I guess the JB games are anywhere between 20 GB - 40GB. Considering that is it really worth having a 320 GB? I do have an ext HDD as well, will that be of any help for movies?
Also what's your take on Move. Is it really worth the dough or should I wait for the technology to mature :huh:. Decisions decisions decisions.

Dhrubo said:
I am new to console gaming. Haven't played any game aman. :ashamed:

You guys have confused me now. I was thinking of getting the GOW bundle as I have heard that it's the best game on this console. And I could possibly sell them in the future as well. I guess the JB games are anywhere between 20 GB - 40GB. Considering that is it really worth having a 320 GB? I do have an ext HDD as well, will that be of any help for movies?

Also what's your take on Move. Is it really worth the dough or should I wait for the technology to mature :huh:. Decisions decisions decisions.
First of all just settle the butterflies in ur stomach..

Let's Cut out the topic of jb shall we..?

If you havent played the GoW series, and as you say you are a fresher.. then no brainer that you pick up the GoW bundle.

As you would be playing games which are the heaviest in size and graphics.. 160GB is going to be enough. Esp if you got a computer to keep recycling whatever stuff you will put in the ps3.

I have seen many people stocking games like anything and be left with games only half played.

If i had the option of getting the 160 GB bundle like you and no worries about the warranty, then the obvious and the definite choice. Would have saved the money and i would have been less bothered about the humongous memory i ll be left with.

Any game backup you throw will not go beyond an avg of 12GB. 20 GB max. that gives you loads of memory to fiddle with. Either with games or with media files.

Only decision you rather be considering is to get the move setup or not. If yes and the bundle deal saves you lots of money then yes, if not too mch of a difference in getting the move kit separately and can get your ps3 with good enough memory then so be it.

You can sell the Games of GoW for ~2k, invest in abt 3k to get the move components or look out for a deal when somebody is selling a move kit.

My pref would have been the GoW bundle anyday. 320 GB is going to be an overkill i know for sure. I have it.

Really? I am left with no space on my 250gb PS3 ..
I have on it currently
GOW3 (30gb)
UC 1 & 2 (Total 45gb)
GOW Collection(8gb)
MGS (27gb to be precise)
Godfather(10gb)
2-3 other games

+
4 -5 HD Movies.

+ Some Music
So please for Christs sake dont say that 320gb is an overkill.

Back