CPU/Mobo Is it worth repairing an Intel 6th/7th gen MoBo in 2024?

I have an AsRock H110 Pro BTC+ that doesn't work. Tried it with a different processor, RAM and PSU. The other 3 work independently. I bought the MoBo in 2017, put it to 4 months of use, let it sleep and in 2020 it refused to boot. One RMA later, it worked, then let it sleep and now in 2024, it doesn't boot. It is now out of warranty.
The board was in a box inside my cupboard.

I don't see any burn marks or bent pins or other obvious issues other than some dust.

Would it be worth spending the time and money to get this working and then pair it with a 7th gen i5 or i7 7700 and use it in my homelab for SMB and media server and a few other containers?

I also badly want to play RDR 2 and I know I'll be able to on this if I can get a GTX 1060/1070. I can wait a few months though

I can't build a new gaming rig now, but I also don't want to spend too much on this especially because of the high power draw at idle and the time and effort to repair it.

Thanks guys.

The board was in a box inside my cupboard.

Was it kept in the anti static bag? That bag protects from moisture as well if folded properly.

Years ago, I had a desktop which refused to boot up if I left it unused for more than 1 month. Very often that PC refused to boot up. I then had to open the side panel and keep the PC in sunlight to heat things up and maybe to drive moisture. I don't know what was the role of sun/heat in it but it used to boot up fine after this and used to work fine till the next time it was left unused for a month or so.

Worth a try in your case IMO, nothing to lose.

Can a dead CR2032 battery cause failure to boot? I have seen plenty of PCs running fine with dead CR2032 battery but is there a possibility that replacing the battery fixes something?

Was it kept in the anti static bag? That bag protects from moisture as well if folded properly.
Unfortunately not. I'll try leaving it out in the sun. The last few weeks here have been cloudy, but I'll try this soon.

Can a dead CR2032 battery cause failure to boot? I have seen plenty of PCs running fine with dead CR2032 battery but is there a possibility that replacing the battery fixes something?
I tried that too. No use.

I also tried clearing CMOS via the jumper, removing the battery and pressing the power button for 10 seconds.

Using a new CR2032 cell, but nothing.

Also, no part of the board gets warm, but that's because no power is drawn at all.

Thank you for the quick response.

any swelling notice with any capacitors?

Repairing motherboard other than from Brand Service Center, is imo not worth, pvt. repair service may charge minimum Rs.500/- (or more also, depend on board value) just for checking what is the fault, if they didn't understand any, than will tell you that there is some big issue and not worth to get it repaired or pay Rs.xxx and still no guarantee if it will work or not!!!

Better buy any cheap available board from any but REPUTED Brand only like Gigabyte, ASUS, which have good warranty service record at your place.

I have had issue with HDD and just to check if it works or not, they ask Rs.500/- per HDD, I refuse to pay and latter with few TE friends suggestion for various testing, found that it's totally dead and bought new (with warranty)

Back