is Jio Set Top Box over Jio Fiber worth it?

altair21

Disciple
I have been looking into replacing our DTH connection mainly due to dish issues, it's almost every day now that we have to change the position of the Dish antenna to receive signals. Is paying extra for tv along with fiber connection worth it? Are there any caveat I should consider? Jio's Fiber connection is the best in our area and the box will be primarily used by my parents. I have already got them Prime Video/Hotstar but they are not really interested in the content offering and mainly want news etc.

Are there any other alternatives I can consider for the same?

JioTV on Jio Set Top box has all the major news channels covered along with many other TV channels also regional. My parents also moved from standard DTH to Jio Set Top Box and they've been living fine with it, they have learned how to use Disney+ and Prime so they are also able to enjoy 1080p/4K content on the TV.

JioFiber OTT plans would save you a decent amount just offering Disney+ and SonyLiv and as it is a telecom/internet bill and if you have high allowances then you can claim your subscriptions from workplace for free.

JioTV on Jio Set Top box has all the major news channels covered along with many other TV channels also regional. My parents also moved from standard DTH to Jio Set Top Box and they've been living fine with it, they have learned how to use Disney+ and Prime so they are also able to enjoy 1080p/4K content on the TV.

JioFiber OTT plans would save you a decent amount just offering Disney+ and SonyLiv and as it is a telecom/internet bill and if you have high allowances then you can claim your subscriptions from workplace for free.
can you give more details about the exact plan and pricing? I talked to the customer service today and even that guy was confused about the plans and how they'll work on existing connections. My main concerns are:
1. exact pricing for my 100mbps plan (there's np mention of it on the set top box page, its just price for the set top box itself).
2. will it need a lan wire from the Jio fiber modem or will it work with wifi or lan via other routers.
3. And will the speed be taken from my existing plan and what kind of hit on the speed I can expect from it ( basically will I need to upgrade my plan so that I can use for my normal stuff along with the tv connection.

you mean the bundled plans that come with 999+ plans?

I have been looking into replacing our DTH connection mainly due to dish issues, it's almost every day now that we have to change the position of the Dish antenna to receive signals.
Which company DTH connection is that? Usually you do not have to change the position of the dish once it is locked to the satellite signal.

Which company DTH connection is that? Usually you do not have to change the position of the dish once it is locked to the satellite signal.
Dishtv. we have had a bunch of monkeys displaced from somewhere and those ****ers wreak havoc on our roof, banging around and what not and they always **** up the dish so we now we have to clean up our roof and fix the dish almost everyday. Plus in general whenever it rains or something, it just stops working.

Last edited:
Dishtv. we have had a bunch of monkeys displaced from somewhere and those ****ers wreak havoc on our roof, banging around and what now and they always **** up the dish so we now we have to clean up our roof and fix the dish almost everyday. Plus in general whenever it rains or something, it just stops working.
wtf they are banging on your roof? :D, that's too bad man.

can you give more details about the exact plan and pricing? I talked to the customer service today and even that guy was confused about the plans and how they'll work on existing connections. My main concerns are:
1. exact pricing for my 100mbps plan (there's np mention of it on the set top box page, its just price for the set top box itself).
2. will it need a lan wire from the Jio fiber modem or will it work with wifi or lan via other routers.
3. And will the speed be taken from my existing plan and what kind of hit on the speed I can expect from it ( basically will I need to upgrade my plan so that I can use for my normal stuff along with the tv connection.

you mean the bundled plans that come with 999+ plans?
  1. So if you could get in touch with sales guys of your area, they would be more than likely to issue a new connection (to reach their targets) and if you choose Set Top Box option then they would gladly provide you one for free (installation also free), the OTT add-ons for any plan is 299+GST (most likely) on top of your existing internet plan so your 100 Mbps so your final price would be 999+GST for 100 Mbps + OTTs (except Netflix) which i think is still fine even if you just consider fiber internet.
  2. Jio Set Top Box works pretty fine with wifi connections
  3. At my parent's place they have a 30 Mbps connection (because that's enough for their requirements) whenever I go, I don't feel like that the internet speed is a bottle neck even if 2-3 devices (including the TV) are streaming content

1. So if you could get in touch with sales guys of your area, they would be more than likely to issue a new connection (to reach their targets) and if you choose Set Top Box option then they would gladly provide you one for free (installation also free), the OTT add-ons for any plan is 299+GST (most likely) on top of your existing internet plan so your 100 Mbps so your final price would be 999+GST for 100 Mbps + OTTs (except Netflix) which i think is still fine even if you just consider fiber internet.
you guys don't pay anything extra for the channels?

Check for local cable TV first. For senior citizens, moving to apps is quite difficulty since all they need to do is punch in a 3 digit number for channel and thats it.

Apart from that, I would suggest to see if they are ok with watching JioTV on any 10 inch tab, its free with Jio mobile.

you guys don't pay anything extra for the channels?
The basic 100 Mbps plan is 699+GST but the one with OTT is 899+GST and if you go for the 150 Mbps plan it's 999+GST (OTT included)

Attachments

• 1700361651577.png
    1700361651577.png
    143.7 KB · Views: 44
Check for local cable TV first. For senior citizens, moving to apps is quite difficulty since all they need to do is punch in a 3 digit number for channel and thats it.

Apart from that, I would suggest to see if they are ok with watching JioTV on any 10 inch tab, its free with Jio mobile.
they are in their 50s, so not exactly elderly, we just need something for the TV, we already have a few OTT subscriptions

The basic 100 Mbps plan is 699+GST but the one with OTT is 899+GST and if you go for the 150 Mbps plan it's 999+GST (OTT included)
so just to confirm, no live channels? or do we get that for free from JIO? this is what I'm not finding any info about on their site.

they are in their 50s, so not exactly elderly, we just need something for the TV, we already have a few OTT subscriptions

so just to confirm, no live channels? or do we get that for free from JIO? this is what I'm not finding any info about on their site.
Live channels are part of JioTV+ which is complimentary with Set Top Box

By the way, for ppl who are using Jio Fiber, is JioCinema (premium with English content) free or do they also need to pay 999 per year extra?

Back