Is Jio Throttling 4G Speed to push 5G !!! ???

Emperor

Skilled
Hello Friends,

Since Jio AirFiber Launched in Mumbai & connected Region, in my area I seriously found that 4G Internet Speed (via JioFi Device) is hitting low every day & now.
Is Jio purposefully throttling 4G internet speed to push users towards Jio AirFiber (service based on 5G Technology).

Till last week 4G Speed in our family members 4G Mobile was good/satisfactory but today we all found that now Mobile 4G Data Speed also affect very badly.

Icing on cake that in last 1 month whenever I contact Jio Customer Care about the issue, they replying we don't have service in your area and work in progress to installation hardware etc. and it may took 180 days to solve issue and at same time they ignore that there were VERY to VERY GOOD SERVICE in my area/place PRIOR to JioAirFiber launch.

With Jio 4G JioFi Device just Rs.400/- a month 3GB data everyday is enough for me but now they keep sending message via WhatsApp for Jio Airfiber which cost minimum Rs.707/-

2 yrs. back I noticed same issue with Hatyway Broadband, after Jio Acquires majority stake in Hathway Broadband, hathywas service touch lowest possible. Before Jio's entry I was using Hathways for 2 yrs and was very happy but after Jio's stake entry there is lots of problem starts with Hathway and it finally force me to dump and move with JioFi, but now Jio 4G too starts same game .... I think time came to move to Pvt. Broadband Service Providers who offers good package for Rs.500/- a month.

i experienced this in delhi, as soon as i reached delhi station my 4g speed dropped down to like 50kb .
The only solution was to switch my network to 5g.
I think they are doing this only in places with full/good 5g connectivity.

i experienced this in delhi, as soon as i reached delhi station my 4g speed dropped down to like 50kb .
The only solution was to switch my network to 5g.
I think they are doing this only in places with full/good 5g connectivity.

... but we don't need 5G Speed neither wish to change handset from 4G to 5G as all handset are just 2-3 yrs old and are still in PRESTINE condition & working without any issue so far. Why unnecessary expense when we don't need 5G?

is Airtel 4G users too facing such issue from Airtel?

I changed my ip11 pm earlier this year due to this very reason (Airtel) even though the phone was perfectly fine otherwise.
4g used to work fine in smaller towns when travelling but would slow down/ get unreliable when in say Delhi or Pune.

Honestly though, cant complain. Systems can and do get obsolete with time.
Maintenance of 4g towers /network would be expected to take a backseat as airtel/jio et al expand their 5g infra .

My phone was 4 years old and 5g handsets had already started trickling in by then.
Thus Buying a 4g handset say 2 years ago would have been a mistake to start with.

This issue is present only in big (metro)cities for now but with time they will slowly put a nail on 4g. Still will take 2-4 years for pan india.

I have opposite problem. 200kbps to 1Mbps speed on 5g but getting 2Mbps to 60 Mbps on 4G. In evening after 5pm not getting any speed on both 4g and 5g. Close to zero. They ran out of bandwidth i think.

one more this, we also found, that now in dual sim handset, JIO sim allow to work only 1 sim in any slot.
I mean, I have 2 sim from Jio one for calling and BOTH JIO sim working SIMULTENIOUSLY but some time after (Jio AirFiber) issue, at a time only one sim is working !!!

@superczar when we bought 4G handset at that time there were no service providers was offering 5G and even 5G Handset Manufactures were was not sure which 5G Band will allot & work with Indian service providers. Even today as per awestorr still 5G not properly reach in every nook & corner and I'm sure not possible by 2024 end, what was the logic in 2019/20 to buy handset that one can fully used by 2025-2026? Also 5G Handset that may bought in 2019-20 were obsolete by 2025-26 (5 yrs. after it's launched) and 5G service/connection is FREE for now but once service providers will start charging MONEY for, than, I'm sure, will give bad taste for various economic class users.

Last edited:
I have opposite problem. 200kbps to 1Mbps speed on 5g but getting 2Mbps to 60 Mbps on 4G. In evening after 5pm not getting any speed on both 4g and 5g. Close to zero. They ran out of bandwidth i think.
This happens to me in my home ,5g works after midnight to 4-5am, then drops speed to 100 kb .
But 4g gives good speed allday.
I assume this means 5g rollout isnt done for scale on that area and probably loses speed when everyone uses it.

This happens to me in my home ,5g works after midnight to 4-5am, then drops speed to 100 kb .
But 4g gives good speed allday.
I assume this means 5g rollout isnt done for scale on that area and probably loses speed when everyone uses it.
CDMA Technology was good, as we in Mumbai local train were easily communicate while train on move/fast speed at that time, but than with 2G, 3G & 4G, NEVER have had CDMA type crystal clear communication without interruptions or break in sound/call etc.

Now my hope on BSNL for 4G Service, don't know when they plan to START

Last edited:
Honestly though, cant complain. Systems can and do get obsolete with time.
Maintenance of 4g towers /network would be expected to take a backseat as airtel/jio et al expand their 5g infra
It's perfectly fine to do this. 3G is completely gone and nobody even noticed.

But this is too early for that. 5G was hardly launched a year ago. Even now it's present only in bigger cities, not everywhere. Companies can't just change the tech entirely in a year, especially when 5G is not backward compatible with 4G handsets.

Doing this would be fine in 2025.

But we all know that companies can and will do this. They did this during 3G and 4G launch as well. I used to use GPRS/EDGE occasionally on my Nokia for messaging, quick updates, etc. After launch of 3G it became unbearably slow, even though it was quite slow to begin with. Even after 4G launch, 3G started feeling like erstwhile 2G. They do it every time and I had noticed last 2 times as well.

I plan to continue using my 4G handset with Airtel as long as possible. As it is, I hardly use Airtel's services. Phone is always on Wi-Fi, calling is also over Wi-Fi now. So as long as they keep running 4G, I can continue using it, even if data speeds go down the drain.

Yes , its throttling . Sometime back i was getting consistent 25MBps , now slowed to 6MBps in bursts and after sometime consistent usage it drops to 200kBps
Location and signal same , shows full signal but now its gone to shit
Agreed new users joining in so reduced speeds but its throttled

It's perfectly fine to do this. 3G is completely gone and nobody even noticed.

But this is too early for that. 5G was hardly launched a year ago. Even now it's present only in bigger cities, not everywhere. Companies can't just change the tech entirely in a year, especially when 5G is not backward compatible with 4G handsets.

Doing this would be fine in 2025.

But we all know that companies can and will do this. They did this during 3G and 4G launch as well. I used to use GPRS/EDGE occasionally on my Nokia for messaging, quick updates, etc. After launch of 3G it became unbearably slow, even though it was quite slow to begin with. Even after 4G launch, 3G started feeling like erstwhile 2G. They do it every time and I had noticed last 2 times as well.

I plan to continue using my 4G handset with Airtel as long as possible. As it is, I hardly use Airtel's services. Phone is always on Wi-Fi, calling is also over Wi-Fi now. So as long as they keep running 4G, I can continue using it, even if data speeds go down the drain.
This is what happens when you kill competition, imagine any other organization doing this in production without prior notice or anything. Anyway, India has to pay the price of all that 2 years of free 4g data somehow or the other and with interest (a lot of it). Again it's not what they did or are doing it's how they are doing it.

I thought this is only me, while updating apps from Google play store 4g speed was always 10 Mbps or more (regardless of time) now same goes around 500 kbps to 2.5 MBPS (2+ only at nights)

I haven't been able to use Jio 4G for a few weeks now, nothing works or loads. I thought it was something weird like APN settings or maybe even DNS.

I could never have guessed they were throttling 4G in favour of 5G (I thought 5G wasn't even close to the same adoption numbers as 4G) but then I saw the coverage map:

And there's so much 5G everywhere in major cities that it almost seem suspicious.

And there's so much 5G everywhere in major cities that it almost seem suspicious.
Reliance can roll out 5G to any tower right now because its not true standalone 5g. Its just 5g on 4g towers. They do it through amazon aws i think. So you're just using 4g tower to connect to their online 5g service (this is my opinion - it could be false). Places like cities with very good broadband coverage and towers having fiber optic broadband can give those gigabit speeds to customers whereas towers in tier 3-4 cities with limited internet broadband can only give these low speeds. It will take them 10 years to do stand alone 5g everywhere. But they are already working on 6g now so i think this is just stop gap functionality now.

I haven't been able to use Jio 4G for a few weeks now, nothing works or loads. I thought it was something weird like APN settings or maybe even DNS.

I could never have guessed they were throttling 4G in favour of 5G (I thought 5G wasn't even close to the same adoption numbers as 4G) but then I saw the coverage map:

In my experience, jio 5G is available even in small villages (in plains, unsure about hills), and I get upwards of 300Mbps there, inside the house (very few 5G users). In my state, I can force phone to 5G only mode and not lose signal anywhere (anecdotally). Latency is remarkably stable too.

Then how am I able to use my 3G handset at New Delhi? It works just as good as it used to before 4G services were launched.
It has been shut down in some circles. In my area, Airtel 3G hasn't existed for the past 2 years. I know it because I have an old Nokia 3G phone that I switch on sometimes and it had been able to connect to the Edge network. Same with a 3G dongle I had couple of years ago.

Of course BSNL\MTNL are another thing altogether.

Location and signal same , shows full signal but now its gone to shit
Yes, signal strength is FULL but speed like hell,
Then how am I able to use my 3G handset at New Delhi? It works just as good as it used to before 4G services were launched.
BSNL & MTNL still offering 3G.

BSNL said to deployed 10,000 4G Equipment's/hardware pan India and soon they are going to launch 4G Service.
Hope they will give good speed and all 4G handset users may shift to it.

Back