Is LED Bulb worth the extra cost over CFL

The OSRAM does diffuse the light it has a emitter and is not one of those cheap bulbs that use multiple 5mm led bulbs .

I am not talking about the increased brightness looking directly at the light but rather i am talking about the overall room brightness.But do note that the 25watt Bajaj CFL 1400lumens that i used to compared is aged compared to the brand new LED.
Compared to the CFL which is giving out nearly 360° the LED is giving out around 180° so if its mounted on the ceiling facing down all its light is going towards the room,where a a large portion of the CFL light is going to come from ceiling and wall bounce.

The flash light you are comparing could be using a different reflector SMO VS OP with or without a external diffuser sheet and also using a different emitter.Afaik all white LED have phosphor coatings.

Manufactures can claim how much ever lumens they want like those 35watt HID rated at 2100lumens.But a well designed 1000lumens LED still visually lights up the road much better,So its how they implement it.

Last edited:
These are the Power - LEDs. They usually get really hot. 3w means after about half an hour of usage you won't be able to hold it. So with any electric device that gets hot for long duration that means less life. Add to the fact that it's Chinese make.

If you want it for some project or DIY, then it's fine. But a strict no no for use in your house.

I hope that helps
:banghead: Wasn't aware of that, I have ordered 3 more LED bulbs from Ebay to use in Bedroom and kitchen..

On the page, it is mentioned that life span will be < 20000 hours

I hope it is better than CFL..

WHAT!!!???

Someone is clearly mistaken here regarding information on Led bulbs.

Firstly, never use spot lamps (Uni-Directional like the one in ebay link) for home use in wall holders.
Spot leds are only used for Downlighters installed in the ceiling.

Secondly, all Leds were known as power Leds for some time. It has no relation to heat output. Heat output of any CFL or Incandescent or LED bulb is directly proportional to the Wattage of the bulb. So a 3w led (no matter of which type) will be much cooler than a 5w CFL.

Light of 5w LED Diffused bulb having same light emitting pattern as a Spiral CFL = Light of 15w spiral Cfl
Cost: Rs. 350 vs. 200
Life: 20000hrs vs. 3000hrs (actual)
Guarantee: 2 years vs. 1 year
And then the benefits of no Uv, no mercury, etc. etc.

It's highly recommended to replace CFLs with Led.
Do check of the color of the led light you are comfortable with.
6000k, 4300k, or 3000k.

Last edited:
Bumping this up. Saw 10w led lights being sold on eBay. Philips one costs ~600, the normal Chinese one costs 175. Both have similar lumen output around 800-850lu.

How much savings in rupees in electric bill can I expect considering I purchase 3 of the Chinese ones? Only three cfls are used in my house most of the time. Two are 10w and one in kitchen is 15w.
Electric rate per unit is 7 for my place.

chinese will be bad quality & no warranty, I have had to get my led bulbs replaced under warranty after 7-8 months . these chinese bulbs probably wont even last that long.

chinese will be bad quality & no warranty, I have had to get my led bulbs replaced under warranty after 7-8 months . these chinese bulbs probably wont even last that long.

Chinese LEDs last quite long as well (afterall they are LEDs) but they fade very quickly. And then there's that afterglow (ghosting) issue... could be because of cheap capacitors/circuit used in Chinese ones.

Difference in this 6000k, 4300k, or 3000k?
its the colour temperature
colour-temperature.gif

3000 Kelvin would be warmer (orangish) and higher 6000 Kelvin will be white
Also if you use computer in higher kelvin ambient lighting then you should check out this app f.lux this will adapt the color temperature and would make PC more natural to look at.
After using for a week this is also one of the app I use on a regular basis.

Also I got these 10W Chinese LED bulbs, so far they're working pretty good. will update this thread once they go bad. got 10 for 1500

Last edited:
So before splurging, which should I choose?
1- http://ebay.in/itm?itemId=261471842620
2- http://ebay.in/itm?itemId=171347385625

Philips seems overpriced a lot at 699. Should have been 300 or so.
Btw, any idea how many units these lights save if used for 6 hr's?

Ebay links aren't working, and the unit saved will be based on what bulbs/tubelights you are replacing them with.

typically EACH 10W LED bulbs would consume only 1.8 Units per month if used for 6 hours.
40W tubelights would consume aprox. 7.2 Units in a month.

I have installed all LEDs in my shop in Kandivali East, Mumbai. There is just one CFL in the wash room and one small normal tubelight in the changing room. Rest all are LEDs, from Phillips and LaFit. Inspite of two 28w LEDs being used for ~ 12 hours a day and the remaining being used for ~ 4 hours a day and two turbo fans used for ~ 12 hours a day for one and ~ 3 hours for the other my consumption has never crossed 60 units (Aug 2013) and my maximum bill was ~ 800/- at commercial rates on Tata Power.

My experience says LEDs help you save quite a bit of money. I am about to change the lights in my home to LEDs too.

Oh. Then why does Philips advertise in their ads that it saves 40% more than cfl?
Guess I'll change the cfl light to leds after they die.

I just saw lumen output of some cfl lights.
5w- 220lu.
8w- 400lu.
14w- 720lu.
23w- 1420lu.

Comparative output of similar led
5w- 350lu.
8w- 640lu.
10w- 800lu.
12w- 960lu.
15w- 1200lu.
20w- 1600lu.

Seems led does save 2-3w compared to cfl if we go by brightness factor.

As i said earlier my OSRAM 9 watt led is equal to 23watt cfl .Due to shape of light source such as CFL not all light reaches the room , a significant amount of light is going to reflect of the ceiling .
Where as LED is going to put out a lot of lumen when directely against the floor when its facing down.
CFL also loose their brightness rapidly just after a few hundred hrs.
As far as the chinese LED while they may use a proper LED emitter,the power supply on the other hand is going to be really cheap,so long term reliability is a big ?

I just saw lumen output of some cfl lights.
5w- 220lu.
8w- 400lu.
14w- 720lu.
23w- 1420lu.

Comparative output of similar led
5w- 350lu.
8w- 640lu.
10w- 800lu.
12w- 960lu.
15w- 1200lu.
20w- 1600lu.

Seems led does save 2-3w compared to cfl if we go by brightness factor.

These values changes every year.. Each year better & more efficient LED's are being developed which gives more lumen per watt & hence future LED's would be the real power saver... Right now due to high cost & low lumen output they don't seem to be practical for mass domestic use..

http://www.cree.com/News-and-Events/Cree-News/Press-Releases/2014/March/300LPW-LED-barrier

We definitely want this company to come to India officially since their products are high quality at affordable prices...

^ Cree, Nichia, Philips etc. are mainly raw LED suppliers. Lighting manufacturers are free to source LEDs from any of these companies. I know of atleast one lighting company in India (I think the name is Keylite) that openly states they are using CREE emitters in their lighting products. Of course the bean counters need to make it relatively cheap, so the high lumen-per-watt LEDs are automatically ruled out.

hence future LED's would be the real power saver... Right now due to high cost & low lumen output they don't seem to be practical for mass domestic use..
Exactly. T5 fluorescent tube lights already broke 100lm/W. LEDs currently available in the market look overpriced and under-spec'ed in comparison.

As i said earlier my OSRAM 9 watt led is equal to 23watt cfl .
CFL also loose their brightness rapidly just after a few hundred hrs.
Sounds like a pretty crappy CFL :D Decent CFLs specify that they maintain 80% brightness till the end of their lifespan which is usually 10,000 hours.

Back