Budget Above 40k is Mi 11 Ultra worth buying?

Killua

Recruit
I know the phone is stellar in every aspect but it hasn't launched in india yet and considering how fast expensive phones lose their value, it might be better to wait a few months and buy a different flagship. Especially since SD 895 is on the horizon.
What do you guys think?

What does that phone even do/have except for that stupid second screen on the back?

Non-techies are going to think that you are using an el-cheapo phone because its a Mi, and you arent really going to be that happy either, because its MiUI
Is MIUI that bad? MrWhostheboss is always raving about Mi/Poco phones.

What does that phone even do/have except for that stupid second screen on the back?

Non-techies are going to think that you are using an el-cheapo phone because its a Mi, and you arent really going to be that happy either, because its MiUI
You can flash a custom rom though.
That is because he reviews units with MIUI EU ROM and not the Indian MIUI ROM.
Both poco and mi have lost their value for money and tendency to undercut Conventional android giants. So, what you get now is a bit overpriced Mi and poco compared to the old days.
Is MIUI that bad? MrWhostheboss is always raving about Mi/Poco phones.
Miui consumes huge chunks of ram, so unless you are getting an mi with a powerful processor you will suffer a bit.

There aren't any custom roms available for it right now. And I read that it's hard to make one due to extremely rare camera and lack of drivers for it. Even the 10i doesn't have official LineageOS release, iirc.
That makes it a not so worth it phone. Better to get the best one can get under 25k and use the remaining 45k to get a dslr or a mirrorless camera if camera is what one wants and is the reason one goes for mi 11 ultra.

Custom ROM days are long gone. There's so much proprietary stuff going on these days that custom ROM can hardly cover all the hardware feature.

As a lineage OS user myself I was a miui hater, however over the years, it grew up on me and I never went back. What I have found is that Google copies a lot of features to vanilla Android from miui and similar ROMs.

Last edited:
Custom ROM days are long gone. There's so proprietary stuff going on these days that custom ROM can hardly cover all the hardware feature.
Yeah there are many features in stock android that were introduced by custom roms like cyanogenmod. Proprietary hardware also makes it difficult to develop same features for diffent phones like gcam on many models can't use all cameras or full cameras. So one would be better off, getting a pixel(which has poor support in India) or getting some phone with strong developer community.

Custom ROMs never worked well enough to be used daily anyway. And they also void the warranty.

MIUI is trash but the phone has everything you can ask for AND an infrared sensor. its on par with the s21 ultra for 30k less. and I dont really care what the non techies think. I am buying the phone for me not them.

MIUI is trash but the phone has everything you can ask for AND an infrared sensor. its on par with the s21 ultra for 30k less. and I dont really care what the non techies think. I am buying the phone for me not them.
Hardware wise it is awesome, yes. Sowtware wise, agree with you. Xiaomi should just load it with vanilla android.

Hardware wise it is awesome, yes. Sowtware wise, agree with you. Xiaomi should just load it with vanilla android.
They won't. Xiaomi is a software company which sells some hardware. Xiaomi at least gives you options to reduce bloat or stop tracking. Microsoft and Samsung don't even give those options that easily. Those are real slim shady.

They won't. Xiaomi is a software company which sells some hardware. Xiaomi at least gives you options to reduce bloat or stop tracking. Microsoft and Samsung don't even give those options that easily. Those are real slim shady.
With samsung it is double whammy, you get average hardware for the price AND you get bloatware. FB, Netflix can't be uninstalled on samsung.

Custom ROMs never worked well enough to be used daily anyway. And they also void the warranty.

Good. Congrats on making the decision.

Going by the tone of your message, though, it seems that you wanted everyone to say, yeah, go ahead, and are slightly pissed by the responses, but then, your money, your choice.

Well said sir! Finally someone with a sense of self-worth and willing to live instead of just showing off.

I for one dont have any problems with MIUI. Vanilla android is definitely better. I would bet on any Mi phone getting custom rom support on xda. It is just a matter of time. So, you can always revert to vanilla android if you dont like MIUI. Also, I heard that in the latest version, they are going to allow uninstallation of all bloatware without adb as well.

Last edited:
I had a mi5 , and Redmi Note 4 , Redmi note 4g , Redmi 1s and currently possess mi max 2 .
Having being a member of xda from 2005 onwards and following cyanogen mod ... to lineage os ... no custom rom ... even official releases for my model .. were never bug free .
No camera support .. abnormal battery usage ..volte support ... other miscellaneous bugs made the phones unusable as a daily driver .
So all the above mentioned phones i reverted back to miui and lived with it .
Miui is not bad per se ... but lack of updates and security support made me decide to stop buying mi and Redmi phones .
Nokia is great but average hardware and only HD 720p screens above 10k is stupid of Nokia.
Currently have Nokia 6.1 and 6.1 plus they are good phones .
I have a s9 and s9+ of Samsung. No ads at all . Regular security updates too .

It's not 30k it's just 10k.

even official releases for my model .. were never bug free .
^^ This. Custom Roms rarely have everything working well, that's been my experience at least.
Started with the 'Glalaxy S' and been through the whole ride. Now I need a daily driver device that just works.
Mi has good hardware, but the amount of nagware that one cannot remove (Mi Pay, Themes etc) is annoying. Ads can be stopped quite easily though.

Back