PC Peripherals Is my CD-RW dead?

Wraith

Skilled
My cd-rw drive has been giving some problems lately....quite a few fixation errors n positioning errors....
Also sometimes when i write video files the video is fine but the audio gets garbled up
and sometimes even though there are no problems while writing....the video files dont play back properly...lot of jerks n sometimes the drive just keeps seeking without proceding forward.
Also these same written video files take too long to copy back to the hdd from the cd-rw drive...once i also got a cyclic redunacy error or something while copying the files to the hdd from the hdd.
So is my cd-rw dead?? or something wrong with the hdd?

Please help guys! Thanks

I checked with Nero Cd Speed...the written disc(which wouldnt run properly and the data couldnt be copied off it) has way too many errors....

When I had similar problems with my CD writer I installed the latest ASPI drivers and all the problems were rectified.

@Wraith - also download aspichk.exe which will inform you if the drivers are loaded fine - get it here....

http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/su...nguage=English+US&filekey=aspichk.exe&sess=no

In case a Optical drive has to be openend here is a nice page I saved some years back on how to do it. Please take care and do it only as a last resort.

I have opened 2 drives and cleaned the lens with care and they worked fine afterwards. I dont trust the Optical drive laser lens cleaning disks too much.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back