Car & Bike Is my disc brake gone ?

djmykey

Skilled
I own a Honda Unicorn 2006 model. It has clocked 42k kms. Recently my disc brakes stopped working as intended and hence I gave the bike for servicing. After Honda serviced it still the brakes were not gripping the wheels as intended. They changed the disc brake pads. Now I have a doubt that the disc itself is the culprit. I have snapped some pics of it, just wanna know if its the disc or something else is gone wrong.

Any ideas...?

it is possible that your disc is below minimum thickness. have that checked.
Have them bleed your brakes properly at the garage.
Also id say check the disc for warping/bending slightly.
if all of the above are ok.. then change disc :)
cheers and kind regards !

Nope ur disc is just fine, i have personally clocked 75k on my pulsar n d break works just as new.First check if there is enough oil in the brake chamber, try checking the chamber's oil level indicator attached to ur handle bar.If its full the try to check if the rams i.e piston in above and lower chamber are actuating. Check if there is hole in the pressure hose or some kinda off leak, due to which pressure is not transmitted to lower brake chamber.

Usually it takes a while for new brake pads to work as intended. I remember getting my brakes cleaned during service (Fiat Palio) and it seemed to slip a lot and after a while it became ok.

Symptom of warped brake discs is vibration while braking, not sure if theres a way to tell if its below the thickness

I agree with bottle. When the disk pads on my P150 were replaced recently, I actually went back to the ASC and told him that my brakes were better before the replacement! :lol:

Well, after about 200 Kms, I don't see why I didn't have the patience...

For your issue, I would like you to check if there is some squeaking sound when you apply the brakes. It usually emanates when the pistons don't function properly. Happened on my old CBZ.

Thanks for the replies.

Thing is the brakes do work, but not as effective as one would expect. Also it gives a slight screeching sound when braking. It does not give any sound when brakes are not applied, but when I apply the brakes they screech lightly. Anything you guys can get outta that ?

When I had the brake fluid replaced the first time, it was a harrowing experience.. I trusted my front brakes which of course failed to grip and I narrowly missed a bus o.o; From the 3rd day onwards, the brakes were as snappy as ever! So try giving it some time to set in.

Now that you've mentioned it, even my front disc screeches lightly whenever i moderately apply it. I'd like to know if its a problem as well

Guys you need to bed in the disk pads after replacement by avoiding harsh braking or lockups at least for the initial 100 kms or so.

This to avoid hardening up the top layer of the pads due to high temperatures caused due to hard braking.

The trick is to bed the pads in brake gradually without burning the pads to set the pads in full contact with the disk resulting in better braking.

The screeching noise can be avoided by applying a thin layer of suitable grease (copper based if available) to the lip of the piston that is in contact with the brake pads.

djmykey said:
Thanks for the replies.

Thing is the brakes do work, but not as effective as one would expect. Also it gives a slight screeching sound when braking. It does not give any sound when brakes are not applied, but when I apply the brakes they screech lightly. Anything you guys can get outta that ?
You need to learn how to ride :p

jtd3 said:
Guys you need to bed in the disk pads after replacement by avoiding harsh braking or lockups at least for the initial 100 kms or so.

I find 100 kms for setting the brakes just way too much... lots of things can go wrong in 100 kms :|

Roxtin said:
You need to learn how to ride :p
So when are you coming to teach me :bleh:

djmykey said:
I find 100 kms for setting the brakes just way too much... lots of things can go wrong in 100 kms :|
Yes, a lot of things can go wrong but you always have the rear brake, don't you?

Plus, it is not like the front brake is not gonna function at all either. Add to it the fact that you are aware that the front brake needs some time to function properly and you will obviously ride a bit cautiously in those 100 Kms or so.

All in all, I think that those 100 Kms are not gonna be a problem really...

As people have mentioned before, bleed your brakes. make sure its snappy and lever does not go in after bleeding.

Alternatively get an oil can and do reverse bleeding. simpler.

Back