Graphic Cards Is My Rig Enough for a HD6850?

nbaztec

Disciple
My Rig:
Corsair CX400
Phenom II X6 1055T (125W @Stock), ~220W on load
2x2GB Rams (~2W each)
3 x HDDs (~11W each)

Hence my proc will draw ~18A of current, HDDs ~3A (1A each), & RAMs ~0.5A
Reviews state HD6850 just maxing out under 11A.

That clearly exceeds the 12V rail's optimal 30A. Then there are 2 standard 120mm fans & other sudden power draws that may stress the PSU further.

Am I risking my machine with this?

1055T Power review (using Prime95)

Thanks.

The card will work, with almost no overhead left, but it will work. The corsair unit is good enough to handle a little stress. But if u are looking to Over Volt or OC the card to death then it would be my humble advice to replace your psu with something better.

Also the Prime95 load test is deceptive, in the real world no game would stress 100% of your CPU 100% of the time, it would peak at an irregular interval, yes but constant 100% load is every game developers wet dream. So you dont have to get grey hairs on that account.

So do go ahead and get your high, and blow the aliens a$$ to kingdom come.

@Chirags, back from exile eh? good to know.

memnom said:
The card will work, with almost no overhead left, but it will work. The corsair unit is good enough to handle a little stress. But if u are looking to Over Volt or OC the card to death then it would be my humble advice to replace your psu with something better.

Also the Prime95 load test is deceptive, in the real world no game would stress 100% of your CPU 100% of the time, it would peak at an irregular interval, yes but constant 100% load is every game developers wet dream. So you dont have to get grey hairs on that account.

Nope No OC. already blew the FETs on my mobo twice (sucky quality at that). Sucks when you don't have a spare mobo. I'm nearing that phase when I would no longer enjoy a decent warranty on it.

Not that I aspire absolute HD gaming, but I tend to multitask a lot (30+ Tabs in Google Chrome, atleast 2 instances of MS Visual Studio, Photshop, Dreamweaver, VMWare workstation), hence the only worry is all the components requiring absolute juice, couple that with all HDD heads rotating, then my PSU shutting off due to OCP, that'd suck.

P.S. I'm well aware that nothing stresses like Prime95, but it sure is satisfying to say "Phew! glad I can get away with that".
neojjjk said:
it will work ,

but my opinion is to change that psu .

The source of my paranoia.
pratz said:
btw, if you dont mind, i have my HD6850 up for sale, you can check it in member's market :) for 8.5k

Positively, when I'm sure as heck the card won't shine like star in my cabby.
pratz said:
that reminds me, u r the guy who build that nbaztec site, kudos buddy, i made my rig on ur site :p :) cheers

I'm obliged. Thank you.

Javed343 said:
Huh what? HD 6850 will work on a 400W PSU? :O

I thought the minimum requirement for a HD 6850 is 500W

They don't know what's the config of your PC is. Try a 6850 with Frontec 500W and sit back with [Exaggeration] fire extinguisher [/Exaggeration] ready. While a CX400 would suffice If I had a 65W, heck even 95W proccessor, I'd go for it straight away. Having a 125W processor is my "check before your buy/fry" roadblock.

Javed343 said:
Btw why not get the AMD Phenom II X6 1100T? It has better performance than the 1055T

Learn to read before posting. I HAVE that rig.

Javed343 said:
Huh what? HD 6850 will work on a 400W PSU? :O

I thought the minimum requirement for a HD 6850 is 500W

dude... i am going to upgrade to SB proccy Core i5 2400 and i have HD 6850 too, it fulfills the power requirements of my RIG :tongue:

however, if you're going to overclock your GPU and CPU, make sure to get at least a 600 W PSU @ 4.1K .. because GS600 can easily handle your OC'ed rig.

Ameet148 said:
Dude upgrading your PSU is most recommended.How much?From 550 to 650 at least.Better go for corsair GS 600

Wouldn't a VX550 be a better & cheaper solution. I'm not a gamer by any definition.

ashis_lakra said:
dude... i am going to upgrade to SB proccy Core i5 2400 and i have HD 6850 too, it fulfills the power requirements of my RIG :tongue:

however, if you're going to overclock your GPU and CPU, make sure to get at least a 600 W PSU @ 4.1K .. because GS600 can easily handle your OC'ed rig.

But you're earlier proccy was a 65W & the next is 95W ~ 3A more room & 3A is a LOT of current.

Due to your requirements and description you are giving , your hdd will always be running etc etc. Pretty decent stress on all components so in your case bigger is better. You want to keep a psu almost double of what you think you will use because psu's work best because they run best at around 60% load. If your use has so much HDD access you should consider a WD raptor.

I dont think you will run all your vmware and google tabs when you are gaming so you CAN get away with your current psu.

Also on another note I would advise against recommending corsair GS series psu. They are cheaper for a reason and I have already read here and there that they are not as reliable as other corsair series.

Improved CX series are available in market with better build quality than CX 430 .. hence a CX500 or CX600 would meet your requirements, but still its a risky.. why not go for TX 650W v2 ?

Coz it's a tad too much. I'm heck as sure I won't go for a 58xx or 69xx in near future. Lemme see how much I can for my CX400 to balance the monetary load.

if you won't overclock , then its okay.. but keep in mind that capacitor aging will reduce the power output from PSU, hence a PSU with above 100/200W is safe for long term.

corsair builder series sucks,to cover there problems corsair eventually created v2 versions in it with more warranty,vx\gs is better than cx.

hi nbaztec, i had a similar dilemma like yours, 1055T with 560TI, and was running an ANTEC 480W, 6 year old , 28A x 12 V PSU, had posted about this PSU recommendation thread and they suggested a min of 550W, I did not want to take a risk, and upgraded the PSU, I would suggest if you can change the PSU go ahead, instead stressing the PSU and damaging the PSU as well as other components.

Back