Graphic Cards is my x1900xt dying??

hay guys..
it happened couple of days ago when i was playing Bioshock and the GPU temps were at around 78c when all of a sudden my card started artifacting.. i immediatly shut down my PC and let the card cool...
my AC was on at that time ... then after half an hour i started the pc again.. but now it was still artifacting during bios... and no matter what i did.. it didnt work... i couldent get rid of the artifacts. i cleaned the card in by blowing whatever dust that might have settled... tried entering in safe mode... but nothing.. its still artifacting...even when the temps are at 45c idle..
are these signs of dying graphic cards.???

btw ive purchased the card in the last years GO so i still have the warrenty an all...
but isnt there anything else that can be done to rectify this problem???

if its artifacting even at idle and bios... then there are high chances tht the high temp have damaged the the ram chips on the gfx card. tht is the most common reason i have seen where such severe artifacting occur.

i guess u have to rma it. no other options come to mind.

hmmm...its done for then.. .. anyway i had a chat with the guy.. he said hell be able to replace it....

just hope it doesent take too long...

also looking forward to the next gen cards G92/or ati ones.. :D

There is a diff between artifacting and snowing, dont have images rt now, but snowing is the name suggest happens when you see black or white flakes across the screen, and snowing is the cause for VRAM going bad, artifacting is common and happens when the gpu goes bad.

hmmm well ... i guess then its completly gone bad .. coz first it started snowing ... that is i did see big black and white spits in a slant line all over the screen, and then slowly slowly.. i couldent see anything... even at bios i got a very currupted screen... that is weird lines all over the place.. seeing all the letters and numbers jumbled up.. so now its officially dead i guess.. well will get it replaced soon..

I guess we both got our X1900XT's at the same time(Darky's GO)... Mine also had a problem(Not dead but was not running on the P5B Dlx mobo) and thus was replaced... But it surely took some time... See if you can pay a little extra and get a higher end card as Gfx card going dead at this time of the year is surely disheartening...

mate......if its artifacting even during boot up....its 'gone' :( :no: ....same thing happened to my card once.....but just lucky like u ...it was in warranty....got it rma'ed.

yeah.. its in warrenty... and it really is bad that it had to happen at this time of the year when so many games are comming out.. DAAMIT .. well seeing as next gen cards from ATI and NV are comming.. i guess ive got no choise but to wait for the replacement part.. and its really sad coz by the time my card gets replaced... i guess itll be time to get the new ones :( .. was thinking going NV this time.. but if ATI comes out first.. then i guess its a no brainer...

well had a chat with mr. mehta, he said it would take around 15 to 21 days for replacement...

now thats a long time, he suggested that he has a 8800GT ready,,,,

now im in two minds, if i should buy it or wait for the newer NV or ATI cards..

really confused.. also if i do buy the 8800GT now will i be able to sell it off when the new ones come out.. ??

damm im confused ... eigther wait 21 days without g card.. or investing in this one when the others are aorund the corner... wt would you guys say??

Back