Is redgear wireless controller for 1.2k worth it? Or should I buy Xbox controller?

martianarmy

Recruit
Xbox controller is around 5.8k. But Redgear pro wireless controller is 1.2k in amazon.
I have never used xbox controller before. I have redgear wired controller. But within 9 months one of its button is not working.
Is it really worth to get xbox controller for 5x the price of redgear? Or should i buy redgear once a year until it is not usable?

If you can afford to shell out the price of the Xbox controller, go for it. The quality of controls is much higher. On Redgear, the sticks and analogue buttons realistically have only 2 levels. On the Xbox controller, they're truly pressure sensitive.

I can't comment on longevity as I have myself bought it only recently.

@gourav Yes. Xbox offers good quality buttons. But I'm ok with low quality. Only if xbox works 5x more life than Redgear then i want to go. Else it is better to buy Redgear, use for a 1 or 1.5years and buy it again.

@gourav Yes. Xbox offers good quality buttons. But I'm ok with low quality. Only if xbox works 5x more life than Redgear then i want to go. Else it is better to buy Redgear, use for a 1 or 1.5years and buy it again.
The xbox controller are totally worth the premium. I still have controllers that i had bought approx 8 years ago and they still work perfectly. And thats my most used controller on PC.

BTW i am also selling used xbox controllers. Do check them if interested. Will be much cheaper than brand new controllers.

I can second the above comment, the original xbox controllers are 100% worth the premium you pay.

I was recently looking into getting a controller for gaming, first got the redgear wireless from amazon, same one you mentioned. As soon as i took it out of the box the cheapness of the build is immediately apparent, and the bad quality of the plastic makes you feel like it will fall apart in your hand anytime. I immediately disliked it, and returned it to amazon for a refund.

My next choice were the powerA controllers from amazon, they were in the next price bracket (~2.6k for the plain black wired version). Got it and found it to be of a much better build quality but then realized they have cheaped out on the components inside - the left analog stick started having drifting/stuttering issues within 3 days of usage, making it useless and unplayable. I thought maybe its just my bad luck and perhaps it might be only my piece which was defective, since most others i asked had good experience with powerA controllers. I got a replacement from amazon, which also started having the same analog stick drifting issue within 5-6 days of usage. Thankfully this was still within the return period, and was able to return it for a refund.

Finally just bit the bullet and got an original xbox series x/s wireless controller, I wish I had got this one first to spare me the headache of the other two. Has absolutely 0 issues, the quality is unmatched, after repeated long gaming sessions of elden and dark souls it has no issues at all. Adding to it, these original xbox controllers come with warranty from microsoft so you can trade it in, but powerA has no warranty RMA process in india.

From my experience, I would suggest you to just get a original xbox controller and spare yourself the headache. I'm pretty confident they will last for years.

Also use a price tracker like keepa to keep an eye on the prices in amazon, during sales the price drops down to ~5.1k

Last edited:
I bought a Redgear wireless controller for now. It is working ok. Will use it for a year and will buy xbox next. Right now xbox controllers are 6k everywhere and cannot trust amazon becasue they sometimes send opened box. I will try to purchase one from offline stores os something.

Whatever controller you end up buying (my suggestion would be the Logitech F310 Wired since it comes with 3 years of warranty and costs 1/4th of Xbox controllers), ensure that you keep it dust and moisture-free always. Dust and moisture are the primary two reasons why most controllers fail. I have seen people getting drift issues on 3 months old latest Xbox Series X/S controllers because of dust and moisture.

Additionally, I'd suggest going though this helpful controller buying guide that assisted me in my decision-making (since I only play 2D beat-em-ups with controllers):

We don't have Microsoft wireless controller. They are Xbox controllers.
got it so I will just use my xbox 360 or ds4 controllers when I switch to PC gaming in december

This is what I meant by Microsoft wireless controller: https://www.amazon.in/Microsoft-Wireless-Controller-Windows-Devices/dp/B0859XX6HC/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=microsoft+xbox+wireless+controller&qid=1666101402&qu=eyJxc2MiOiI0LjY1IiwicXNhIjoiMy42MCIsInFzcCI6IjIuMzIifQ==&sprefix=microsoft+xbox+wi,aps,282&sr=8-3

Back