CPU/Mobo Is the CPU Mobo combination ok?

Corleone

Adept
Hi All,

I am getting a new PC. I have listed out the following:

Intel Core 2 Quad - Q8200
MSI P45 Neo-F
4 GB of Corsair DDR2 - 800 MHz XMS2 (1 GB x 4)
Palit 8600GT 512MB DDR3 With HDMI

Is the above config OK? If not, please suggest alternatives.

How many year's Warranty does Palit Graphic Cards have how to claim the Warranty if need be in Mumbai?

Same goes to Corsair - they have 10 years warranty. Is it worth the extra Bucks I'll be paying and also where do we claim Corsair warranty?

All help appreciated.

Corsair warranty is through their service centres run by Kaizen infoserve. They have a all india toll free number that you can call up to clarify about addresses.

Palit warranty is handled by the distributor. Once you buy your card you could take a look at the importers tag and call them up to ask tehm about the local service center details. (afaik tirupati and mediaman/aditya infotech handled palit).

About the config you are getting yourself, could you clarify a bit on the

1. budget

2. purpose

would be a lot easier to make suggestions then.

Hey thanks for the info on Corsair. So, it means whoever I buy the Corsair memory from - I get warranty from one Service centre.

OK but, how many years warranty does Palit have as it's not clear anywhere not even their site. Some say 2 years. If that's the case should I get a XFX 8600GT 256MB DDR3 and if yes, what's their warranty?

Budget = I need to fit the above 4 items around 25K. I have the rest peripherals so no need to buy that.

It will be used for Flash Animation, Video Editing and 3D in Maya/3D Studio Max.

^ if thats the reason you are planning to build the computer, then i feel there is no other adjustments required. But if its for gaming, 8600GT is pretty much outdated, ATi 4670 is much better imo.

And instead of Q8200, get the E8500.

Q8200 is just 4 to 5 % better than Q6600 as the only difference between them is the FSB (Q6600 has 1066 FSB whereas Q8200 has 1333 FSB)

E8500 is 1k less and much better imo.

BackToExistence said:
^ if thats the reason you are planning to build the computer, then i feel there is no other adjustments required. But if its for gaming, 8600GT is pretty much outdated, ATi 4670 is much better imo.

Q8200 is just 4 to 5 % better than Q6600 as the only difference between them is the FSB (Q6600 has 1066 FSB whereas Q8200 has 1333 FSB)

Isn't the E8500 Dual Core? Q8200 is Quad Core. Is it a typo?

BackToExistence said:

Corleone said:

he would be much better off with the quad for 3d work afaik.

ohh.. and stay away from that msi board. have heard tales about its horrid build quality. get a basic asus P5Q or something

Also, you get 2gb sticks for Very cheap nowadays. plus, it'll leave room for RAMupgrades in the future

sTALKEr said:

ohh.. and stay away from that msi board. have heard tales about its horrid build quality. get a basic asus P5Q or something

Also, you get 2gb sticks for Very cheap nowadays. plus, it'll leave room for RAMupgrades in the future

Any other non-msi board around 6K mark? I don't want to go higher than that for the mobo.

Also, yes I'll be buying 2 Corsair 2 GB sticks leaving room for RAM upgrades in the near future and the future is always near ;)

BackToExistence said:

I guess Q8200 is also 45nm so less heat right?

Corleone said:
I've read that the quality of Gigabyte is not on par with Asus/MSI. Has that changed now?

afaik that was never the case, earlier gigabyte boards were paper tigers and didnt clock that well but they never lacked in quality and features

is the msi for 6k? i think not, its for 7.5k iirc.
i dont think theres any gigabyte p45 board in that price range, there is the gigabyte p35 s3g for 5.3k though, its a p35 board and has 2 sata ports less

Originally Posted by BackToExistence

Originally Posted by Corleone
Wasnt a typo :p

I meant for gaming purpose..

Originally Posted by sTALKEr

Yes, MSI has a lot of build quality issues now-a-days, i would recommend the Asus P5QC - DDR3 edition, makes room for future upgrades in terms of ram atleast :)

Q8200 is pretty good for 3d work i guess, but for gaming there are better choices like the E8400 and the E8500 :)

BackToExistence said:
Wasnt a typo :p

I meant for gaming purpose..

Yes, MSI has a lot of build quality issues now-a-days, i would recommend the Asus P5QC - DDR3 edition, makes room for future upgrades in terms of ram atleast :)

Q8200 is pretty good for 3d work i guess, but for gaming there are better choices like the E8400 and the E8500 :)

argh!! read the thread you kalank on my name :bleh::bleh:

OP wants this rig primarily for 3d work. gaming aint a priority..

Back