Storage Solutions Is there any 'good' (i.e. CMR) 2TB HDD available ?

PoBoy

Skilled
As said in the title. I can't afford WD Black 2TB.

I have a SSD for OS + programs. Everyting else on a WD EZEX.

My WD EZEX 1TB is bursting at the seams. WD EZEX 2TB would have been my choice.

I have a few 4GB+ VHDs which I update off and on and a few 3-4GB ISOs too (on the WD EZEX) - I would prefer not to have a SMR type HDD.

My system is quite old, no NVME etc.

Last edited:
I am having the same trouble as yours. A good 2TB CMR hdd that won't cost a lot...

Only Toshiba P300 has 2tb cmr drive and it's available easily..But I didn't trust Toshiba's warranty process and hence did not buy the drive.
WD has WD20EZRZ with 5400rpm and 64mb cache..It's not easily available. Only it's 4tb version is available in few stores but now they have updated the hard drives with almost all the 1tb+ drives with only smr tech.
I visited several local stores and they blindly say don't even care about the difference and advice to just buy the Seagate barracuda 2tb..

Let's see if we can find some solution..

WD Purple is CMR : https://documents.westerndigital.co...wd-purple-hdd/product-brief-wd-purple-hdd.pdf
I got a WD20PURZ a few months ago.
It is priced the same as the WD Blue drives and is easily available.
What exactly is a 'Surveillance' HDD ? Apart from being 5400 rpm.

EDIT : Got some info here Desktop Hard Disks Vs Surveillance Hard Disks

A standard hard disk is designed in such a way to work only about 8 to 9 hours daily for 5 to 6 days a week. Whereas a Surveillance Hard Disk is built to perform 24×7 all year round. ...

A Standard Hard Disk is engineered to read, write, and transfer data simultaneously. Whereas a Surveillance Hard Disk is engineered to perform write operation for the maximum part of its life, as the Hard Disks used in the surveillance system is used to write data 90% of the time and 10% for playback.

Last edited:
WD purple drives are meant for surveillance purpose and to work for 24*7. We can sure use it, but there seem to be issues of access or disk not going to sleep.
Link

I bought a surveillance drive for storing media etc. because of it being rated for 24*7 usage. I thought that since it's just a media store write/read speed decrease wouldn't matter. It does though, it's a pretty slow as **** drive, and if you're storing 2K res movies etc., it'll lag in skipping.

The crystaldiskmark test attached is current with the real world performance profile. It's a 1TB Seagate Skyhawk with almost 13k power on hours. If I were to buy another drive, I don't think I'd go for a surveillance option.

Attachments

• 1651481919662.png
    1651481919662.png
    26.1 KB · Views: 40
I bought a surveillance drive for storing media etc. because of it being rated for 24*7 usage. I thought that since it's just a media store write/read speed decrease wouldn't matter. It does though, it's a pretty slow as **** drive, and if you're storing 2K res movies etc., it'll lag in skipping.

The crystaldiskmark test attached is current with the real world performance profile. It's a 1TB Seagate Skyhawk with almost 13k power on hours. If I were to buy another drive, I don't think I'd go for a surveillance option.
OK, thanks. I'm getting a 2TB WD Black from a TEF member.

Back