CPU/Mobo Is there anything like "GPU Support" in context of processors ?

demon_slayer

Disciple
I have a Intel i5-3470 processor installed in my NAS.
I was thinking of buying some cheap GPU to transcode media, because right now, any transcoding uses too much cpu and stops other hosted services on the NAS.

So I was wondering, from a non-gaming perspective, is there anything I need to consider other than the availability of a PCIe slot on my mobo ?

Is there anything like a CPU does not support a graphic card ?

PCIe is supposed to be backward compatible, so anything would work, or did you mean something else ?
I meant the PCIe interface. Generations are backwards compatible. The bandwidth shouldn't really matter for transcoding.

For eg. you can't use a PCI (no E) device in a PCIe slot.

For eg. you can't use a PCI (no E) device in a PCIe slot.

Actually, you can. And the other way around, with adapters. PCIe was built upon PCI so it shares most of the spec.

There are adapters like this that let you use older legacy controller cards in modern systems:

And the there's crazy people this who put PCIe graphic cards in PCI based systems just because they can:

PCIe is supposed to be backward compatible, so anything would work, or did you mean something else ?

PCIe is backwards and forwards compatible, you can use PCIe 4.0 devices in 2.0 slots and 2.0 devices in 4.0 slots. You can also use x1 devices in x16 slots and x16 devices in x1 slots with adapters.

PCIe is backwards and forwards compatible, you can use PCIe 4.0 devices in 2.0 slots and 2.0 devices in 4.0 slots. You can also use x1 devices in x16 slots and x16 devices in x1 slots with adapters.
Thanks for the video link, it is one of the most interesting videos I've watched, loved the storytelling way, I guess I'm a nerd :)

Back