Budget 31-40k Is this a good/legit offer?

bøss

Recruit
I was searching for a budget laptop for programming.
I found this great offer. Can anyone check for any issues here?
Keeping free-dos aside, a 5500U for 35k seems a bit too good to be true. It only has a single image and specifications are not completely listed. Also I wanted to confirm that it has a lcd display and 1 year warranty.

I also have in mind, this https://amzn.eu/d/bkbroFu 2 year warranty is the main selling point here.

Or do you guys have any other recommendations under 40k.

Offer is fine, at least not a scam. Nor a "great" offer, because Lenovo is selling with windows, mouse and a backpack for 39990 : https://www.lenovo.com/in/en/laptops/lenovo/v-series/Lenovo-V15-Gen-2-15”-AMD/p/XXYTXVNA500

V series doesn't have great build quality anyway. But still great if you want just a laptop.

For your 2 options, the Intel one has better single thread performance, AMD has better multi thread performance, overall quite comparable , though IdeaPad series have better build quality in general : https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/4754vs4141/Intel-i3-1215U-vs-AMD-Ryzen-5-5500U

Offer is fine, at least not a scam. Nor a "great" offer, because Lenovo is selling with windows, mouse and a backpack for 39990 : https://www.lenovo.com/in/en/laptops/lenovo/v-series/Lenovo-V15-Gen-2-15”-AMD/p/XXYTXVNA500

V series doesn't have great build quality anyway. But still great if you want just a laptop.

For your 2 options, the Intel one has better single thread performance, AMD has better multi thread performance, overall quite comparable , though IdeaPad series have better build quality in general : https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/4754vs4141/Intel-i3-1215U-vs-AMD-Ryzen-5-5500U
Thanks for the input.

Actually I never posted my requirement.
#I prefer dos(instead of windows, for cost cutting) because I'll be installing Ubuntu in it. #Build quality would be a plus point.
#For panel type, I haven't seen a tn panel for a long time, so I do not know that if it'll be bad or passable. So a led display with va/ips panel would be better.
#Besides this, 8gb ram and 512ssd would do.
#budget 35-45k

Please help me with one or two options.

If you can get Windows within your budget, I'd recommend doing so - never know when you might want it, and you can dual boot without issue, especially if you're using Ubuntu. You don't even have to do the initial setup on Windows if you don't want to.

You should definitely avoid anything with a TN panel - I was recently looking into laptops in this price range for someone at work, and I saw one (an Acer, I think?) with a TN, and it was just as bad as you probably remember. Moreover, even VA/IPS doesn't guarantee anything but viewing angles (and sometimes not even that in the case of VA). IMO you should be looking at color gamut coverage rather than panel technology: >90% sRGB and/or >70% NTSC. Still doesn't necessarily give you color accuracy, but it's a start.

We ended up going with this because of the warranty and service availability. Personally, I use this, and I've had a good experience - I had an issue for a while where the WiFi adapter would suddenly disappear and wouldn't come back until I hibernated/rebooted, but it hasn't happened in a while now. It's actually 5k cheaper right now than when I got it, so I'd recommend it if you're okay with:
  • Non-upgradable memory
  • A webcam that looks up at your nose
  • Questionable service availability (somewhat mitigated by the 3rd party extended warranty options)

If you can get Windows within your budget, I'd recommend doing so - never know when you might want it, and you can dual boot without issue, especially if you're using Ubuntu. You don't even have to do the initial setup on Windows if you don't want to.

You should definitely avoid anything with a TN panel - I was recently looking into laptops in this price range for someone at work, and I saw one (an Acer, I think?) with a TN, and it was just as bad as you probably remember. Moreover, even VA/IPS doesn't guarantee anything but viewing angles (and sometimes not even that in the case of VA). IMO you should be looking at color gamut coverage rather than panel technology: >90% sRGB and/or >70% NTSC. Still doesn't necessarily give you color accuracy, but it's a start.

We ended up going with this because of the warranty and service availability. Personally, I use this, and I've had a good experience - I had an issue for a while where the WiFi adapter would suddenly disappear and wouldn't come back until I hibernated/rebooted, but it hasn't happened in a while now. It's actually 5k cheaper right now than when I got it, so I'd recommend it if you're okay with:
  • Non-upgradable memory
  • Questionable service availability (somewhat mitigated by the 3rd party extended warranty options)
Thanks for the input.

The honour one seems to be a really good option here.

I have previously used a Huawei phone which I really liked.

I have no issues with webcam and ram. As for warranty, I guess I'll go with 1 year Acko or servify option.
I have but I more doubt.
IF the unit develops an issue after let's say a month. Will the 3rd party cover the cost here?
Asking this because 3rd party warranty period starts after the original warranty has expired which is provided by honor for 1 year.

With ICICI credit card you get this for around 40k, looks like a good laptop for the price.

IF the unit develops an issue after let's say a month. Will the 3rd party cover the cost here?
No, they usually don't work like that - as you said, their coverage starts after manufacturer's warranty. As for whether Honor will properly "honor" (ba-dum-tss) the warranty, I have no idea - I'm mostly counting on not needing to do that. It was worth the gamble for me because the next best thing that met my requirements would've been a Xiaomi that costs closer to 60-65k after equivalent warranties.

• Non-upgradable memory
I also used to face this issue of Wifi Adapter disappearing and coming back after reboot in my msi laptop. Never could find the reason for it.

With ICICI credit card you get this for around 40k, looks like a good laptop for the price.
Cool
But I don't have an ICICI CC

No, they usually don't work like that - as you said, their coverage starts after manufacturer's warranty. As for whether Honor will properly "honor" (ba-dum-tss) the warranty, I have no idea - I'm mostly counting on not needing to do that. It was worth the gamble for me because the next best thing that met my requirements would've been a Xiaomi that costs closer to 60-65k after equivalent warranties.
Haha. Honor's honor is such a bummer. Really wanted this one. But I guess I'll select one of the other options mentioned above vivobook k14/hp ryzen5.

Haha. Honor's honor is such a bummer. Really wanted this one. But I guess I'll select one of the other options mentioned above vivobook k14/hp ryzen5.
Yeah, I get that - it's a shame that nothing else in the price class comes even close to the Honor's build quality and spec. One thing you could do is check if Honor has a service center in your city to see if they handle the laptops as well. If they do, you'd probably be fine.

Yeah, I get that - it's a shame that nothing else in the price class comes even close to the Honor's build quality and spec. One thing you could do is check if Honor has a service center in your city to see if they handle the laptops as well. If they do, you'd probably be fine.
If you plan on buying it there's a thread here where others can help you with that.
Understood.
I'll first check for honor laptop service in my city.
You need to see this.
Google honor service center and it gave me this. https://www.google.co.in/search?q=h...m4!1u3!2m2!3m1!1e1!2m1!1e3!3sIAE,lf:1,lf_ui:4
Its literally a Shulabh Shauchalay XD.

But there where 3 other numbers.
1st service center - They said they handle laptop warranty repairs for multiple companies, honor being one of them and mobo, screen and other parts are all available.
Called other 2 for assurance.
2nd - Contact customer care. They said.
3rd - unavailable number.
kept getting worse haha.

Another offer I was considering. getting a 2k discount. (cannot figure how to avail 5000 cashback bank offer)
Screenshot (768).png

Last edited:
Click the "Cashback T&Cs" and see what all banks are giving the offer. Im guessing it will be a credit card offer on select banks.
  1. Maximum cashback up to ₹5000 Or 5% whichever is lower on all IdeaPad & AIOs products priced between ₹52,000 and ₹70,000 on using these bank Debit cards/Credit cards: SBI, Kotak Mahindra Bank, AU Small Finance Bank, IDFC Bank, HDFC Bank
Only for 52000<
I'm finalizing Honor Magicbook.

Its literally a Shulabh Shauchalay XD.
:oops:
1st service center - They said they handle laptop warranty repairs for multiple companies, honor being one of them and mobo, screen and other parts are all available.
That's fairly common, I think: most service centers are 3rd party, usually only a relatively small percentage are exclusive ones.
I'm finalizing Honor Magicbook.
Cool. Here's hoping neither of us will need servicing any time soon :p

I have the V15 and you've made the better choice by choosing Honor Magicbook, I'd have done the same if it was around when I made my purchase. My main issue with the V15 is that the display is horrendous, I use it connected to an IPS monitor and the difference is stark. And the Magicbook supports type-c charging which is a huge QoL improvement over V15.

Back