Is this Rig right for Me

nolifeonmars

Disciple
1. Q: What is your budget?
a. 30 k MAX

2. Q: What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)

a. CPU – AMD 2800+ 64 BIT
b. Motherboard – Msi k8M800
c. GPU – FX 5500 – 256 MB AGP
d. RAM - Transcend 2X1GB PC3200
e. Monitor – Philips 17 “ CRT
f. SMPS – 400 Watt circle
g. Sound Card : 5.1 Vx creative

3. Q: Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)
a. Sound Card : 5.1 VX creative
b. Monitor – Philips 17 “ CRT

4. Q: Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.
a. CPU –Intel - i7 860
b. Motherboard – Intel DP55WB
c. GPU –HD 4670 ( or any cheaper graphic card with HDMI port & it should be watching High quality BLUE Ray movie )
d. RAM – 2 GB DDR 3
e. Cabinet – any
f. SMPS – 600 W circle
g. 750 Gb & 250 Gb sata ( already own this )

5. Q: Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component
a. Yes, will upgrade the following within 6 months
b. RAM - 2X2 GB DDR 3
c. 1.5 TB HDD
d. 24 “ LCD with HDMi support

6. Q: Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
a. Mumbai

7. Q: Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
Yes

8. Q: What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
a. Cisco Router Emulation using Dynanips & GNS 3( will be used for practicing CCIE exam studies)
b. Running 4 – 5 Virtual machine under vmware
c. Browsing
d. Desktop Processing
e. Download rig,8 to 10 hours
f. Watching HD movies & blue ray quality ripped movie ( 1084 P)

10. Q: Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
a. no

11. Q: If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
1. I don’t play any games

12. Q: What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
1. Desktop – max resolution supported by monitor

13. Q: Are you looking to overclock?
. No

14. Q: Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
a. Win Xp 32 Bit & windows 7 32 Bit

I want cheapest graphic card which will able to play HD movies & blue ray ripped Movies . I am planning to buy a 24 “ LCD with HDMI within 2-3 month . I should get full HD output through that graphic card

Can I use convertor to support my old crt monitor ( dvi to vga ) for time being

Is it the right time to buy this rig ? . Is there any chances that intel is going to drop prices for the processor . Should I wait up to this month end

How much watt SMPS really required for me

Thanking in advance
Moderator please approve this post

i7 - 860 (2.8 GHz Turbo Boost To 3.2 GHz, 8MB Cache) 14300
Intel DP55WB 5450
Sapphire 512MB DDR5 HD5670 5200
2gb 1333MHz Kingston DDRIII RAM 3000
CM Elite 310 1550
Corsair VX450 3800
TOTAL ~ 33,300

Thanks for ur response the graphic card u suggest is quite expensive . I am only going to watch full HD quality ripped movie or blue ray ripped movie on 24" lcd . I am not going to play games . suggest me some cheaper graphic card which support HDMI port

Is it right time to buy intel I7 860 . I am thinking it prices can go down further

nolifeonmars said:
Thanks for ur response the graphic card u suggest is quite expensive . I am only going to watch full HD quality ripped movie or blue ray ripped movie on 24" lcd . I am not going to play games . suggest me some cheaper graphic card which support HDMI port

Is it right time to buy intel I7 860 . I am thinking it prices can go down further

If that is the case then there really is no point spending so much on the other components as well.
Build your system around these CPU + Motherboard combos.(all prices are approximate):-

Intel:-
Core i3 530 + Gigabyte H55M UD2/S3L LGA1155 ~6k + ~6k = ~12k
(Please avoid rubbish Intel Original boards, these chipset boards offer more reliability and open up a lot of options)

AMD:-
Athlon II X2 240/x4 620 + Gigabyte 785GMT UD2H AM3 ~2k/~5k + ~6k = ~6/~11k

+ DDR3 memory of your choice.

Both of these onboard graphic chips (the Intel's is on the CPU itself, while on the AMD the IGP is built into the motherboard) will handle Full HD 1080p Playback w/o any problems. Out of the two i would recommend the AMD setup, as it is cheaper and the HD4200 has been around longer. The X2 240 is ideal but you may go for the X4 6xx if you need a quad core on this setup for some odd reason.

Spend the surplus budget on gear that will improve your general experience, like an external sound card, better speakers, nicer input devices, a sweeter cabinet etc.

Since both these boards are Micro-ATX, you should look at a cabinet with a smaller form factor. This:- Silverstone Sugo Series SG02B-F00020 Fits the bill perfectly. Retails for under 5k

For the PSU, id recommend either the Seasonic SII 380W or the Corsair CX400. Both cost around 3k. You can get something cheaper but these will ensure peace of mind for years to come.

If you take my CPU+Motherboard+Cabinet+PSU suggestions, your total comes up to about 20k with all the expensive choices. 3k for the RAM as listed above or 6k will get you a nice 2x2 GB DDR3 kit. The rest you may spend as per your preference.

And there you have it, a nice little HTPC/Multipurpose rig. :)

When you need more performance, you can drop in a dedicated graphics card, or a better processor. (LGA1155/5 core i5s/i7s will run on the H55 setup and there are literally a ton of CPU upgrade options for the AMD AM3 platform).
Post your queries/doubts, will reply back with a final config. as per those.

I see total imbalance here. for your requirement, I think AMD Phenom II X4 based rig would be better and will be much cheaper.

Phenom II X4 925: 7k-7.5k

Gigabyte GA-MA785GMT-US2H: 6.5k

Rest is more or less the same that others mentioned.

desiibond said:
I see total imbalance here. for your requirement, I think AMD Phenom II X4 based rig would be better and will be much cheaper.

Phenom II X4 925: 7k-7.5k

Gigabyte GA-MA785GMT-US2H: 6.5k

Rest is more or less the same that others mentioned.

Why does he need a Phenom II as well as this GIGABYTE is not at all good better go for the ASUS M4A785TD M EVO

I mean for the price the motherboard is a rip off

ALPHA17 said:
Why does he need a Phenom II as well as this GIGABYTE is not at all good better go for the ASUS M4A785TD M EVO

I mean for the price the motherboard is a rip off

Came to know that ASUS service and support is kind of shitty for mobo division. Many reported very bad experiences.

Back