Is your 5G phone really a 5G?

motorola supports almost all bands atleast my office issued g51 does.

jio has already upgraded its towers for 5g, just need to turn on a switch.
The government did really give Jio a helping hand by allowing the cheap fixed line spectrum from a Reliance-fronting company to be converted to voice, and also not having to provide any legacy 2G support.

This has really helped Jio in getting more 4G spectrum later on and now being the sole owner of the 700 MHz 5G spectrum which doesn't require much hardware upgrade. That is the reason that in a lot of circles it is just a software upgrade for them.

Meanwhile, the other operators keep drowning in debt. Not long before Ambani becomes the telecom overload.

You are mistaking me for someone else.. please check again. I currently use a LG G8x as primary and a Pixel 3a as secondary.
I have held off on all this 5g nonsense as I want see how the rollout goes. It is not even a dedicated 5g infrastructure but piggy backing on the current one so not holding out much hope on if it will make much of a difference.
apologies for mistaking you for someone else.

I think one should avoid buying 5g phone as of now untill 5g becomes a bit mature just like windows 11.
If you're in Chattisgarh, I did not see airtel has yet acquired any 5G spectrum for your state?

Starting stage is experimental stage. During 2016-17 when airtel started rolling out its 4g service here in my area, even after doing 4g recharge on a 4g sim, it automatically switches to 3g and even to 2g sometimes. So this can happen with 5g also.
That is normal because they did not have real 4G, meaning there was no Voice over LTE. so data worked on 4G but for voice, there was fallback to 2/3G.

Jio has real 4G so voice & data all work on 4G.

According to the video, there will be fallback to 4G LTE so 5G is going to be a battery hog I think if you are in a tier 1 city but not if you are in a tier 3 city. 4G speeds are good enough and the signal will be better than 4G and consume less battery.

The upshot is no need for a 5G sim :)

4 year old Poco F1. It's not 5G.
I remember the excitement when that phone came out. One of the members here complaining you could not get 8GB ram for 24k and had to pay 29k. That really brought home to me how low prices had become. This was at the time the iPhone X wanted a grand and you could see it was not going to sell well. People wanted it but were selling it within months. Buy to try but not to own.

Which state are you in ?

Last edited:
I remember the excitement when that phone came out. One of the members here complaining you could not get 8GB ram for 24k and had to pay 29k. That really brought home to me how low prices had become. This was at the time the iPhone X wanted a grand and you could see it was not going to sell well. People wanted it but were selling it within months. Buy to try but not to own.

Which state are you in ?
Yup this phone shook the market. I'm from Maharashtra.

I am So happy. I have Airtel (Primary) and JIO.
And my phone supports ALL bands of Airtel and JIO: n1, n3, n5, n8, n28, n40, n77, n78

The phone is Xiaomi 11i 5G, a no nonsense, jack of all trades master of none type of phone.

By the way, is SIM card change required for Airtel 5G? I guess not, since its NSA..
As mentioned previously, SIM change isn't required because Indian 5G is actually 4G behind the scenes.

Internationally 5G is different from 4G so SIM change is required abroad.

Back