ISP or router's fault?

thawfu666

Adept
BSNL's broadband connection has been excellent for the past few years, but suddenly one day the router resetted itself. Don't know the reason for it! I immediately called up a nearby BSNL office, and they sent someone to configure the router again. After he configured and went, the internet was back to normal. But those devices connected through wifi were behaving strangely. The two PC's connected through an Ethernet cable are working just fine. I'm having a problem only with wifi devices. There could only be 1-2 devices connected at a time. If there are more than that amount, then the internet goes off randomly for any device. In my house, there are 12 devices connected through wifi. So I can browse the internet only in those 2 devices. What should I do now? The BSNL guy is asking me to buy a new router. But I'm confused! Please help me ... If this helps, I'm using a BSNL TDSL300W2 router

Call him and tell "pehle tha vaise karke de...nahi toh teri complaint kar dunga...". Make him believe it is his fault..:D:D

One thing you can do is to download wifi analyzer on android and see if there is contention on your channel. If so you may need to set your channel manually to something which is free.

Which router are you using ? And how old it is ? If it is from BSNL's chinka router then I would suggest to replace it with good quality router.
Those old BSNL zte and huawei branded routers tend yo behave abnormal after certain years.
Also try the above suggestion once by Adi_vastava

@bigb123 I did that! Unfortunately (for me) he told me that it was the router's fault and not BSNL's nor his. :( He told me to get a new router and all these problems would go away.
@adi_vastava I'll try that out and let you know!
@cisco_tech I'm using the BSNL ADSL2 CPE/ Wireless router TDSL300W2 (Type W2). And it has been 3.5 years since I've purchased it! Haha, yeah that's what even I think. Their routers are horrible in their range. Just go 3-5 meters away from the router and the signal drops two bars down. By the way, the observation was made on a 2013 MacBook Pro, which has 802.11ac wifi. So nothing wrong with the laptop! :) And also, I have no knowledge on routers. So IF i really need one now, which one should I choose? My cousin did recommend me to one (Netgear Nighthawk R7000), but then it is just too expensive at around 170 USD. Something cheaper will do, as long as there are no disconnections and a long range. I'm currently looking at the Apple Airport Express, but as I said, I don't know anything about routers. So please help me out here! :)

The issue is with the router since you can access the internet via wired devices.

I would suggest to replace the router. Go with TP Link 8968 purely for features.

@cisco_tech I'm using the BSNL ADSL2 CPE/ Wireless router TDSL300W2 (Type W2). And it has been 3.5 years since I've purchased it! Haha, yeah that's what even I think. Their routers are horrible in their range. Just go 3-5 meters away from the router and the signal drops two bars down.
wifi chip is dying. 3 years and on all the time will do that.

Back