Storage Solutions Issue with HDD shipped to a user - will not power on [Please share ideas to power it on]

montsa007

Adept
Hi Fellas,

Had done a deal in the classified section wherein I sold 2 HDD's
WD 1TB External
WD 4 TB Nasware with Orico HDD case.

Now the 1 TB Works fine, 4 TB will not power on, was checked before shipping.

We have tried putting a different HDD in the orico case, that works so orico case is not the issue.
We have tried connecting the bare HDD with sata connection, will not work.

Can someone share their suggestions to power it on as I am out of ideas?

Sale thread for reference.

Comment from buyer to help people with more knowledge troubleshoot.

I’m guessing the platter couldn’t have been damaged since it was in the case. The only possibility I can think of is there was a slight play between the enclosure and hdd sata ports that could have damaged the sata pins on the hdd during transit. If this is the case, can it somehow be fixed?

It might be the SATA PWDIS feature. Try powering the drive using Molex to SATA power connector. Covering the third pin of the SATA power connector with some Kapton tape should also work.

It might be the SATA PWDIS feature. Try powering the drive using Molex to SATA power connector. Covering the third pin of the SATA power connector with some Kapton tape should also work.
I thought that was for white label ones but no harm in trying.
I did note that there was no pic of a SMART test using the likes of Crystaldisk etc unless it was requested via DM. That is usually indicative of any imminent failure.

I thought that was for white label ones but no harm in trying.
I did note that there was no pic of a SMART test using the likes of Crystaldisk etc unless it was requested via DM. That is usually indicative of any imminent failure.

He did share the Hdd sentinel screens .. no issues there.. strongly hoping it wasn’t DIT.. Will try the third pin solution

The thing is I never used bare HDD's in my life mate just not comfortable, it was always external HDD or in an enclosure.

I don't think this mod will resolve your problem even if you try shucking your HDD. It can be tried only if HDD isn't detected after taking off the casing.
As you've mentioned the HDD isnt' powering ON it must be some mechanical failure.
Some external casing supports only HDD upto certain capacity, you can always try some other external case or connecting directly onto SATA port.
you can also try swapping power adapter for the external case if available.

I don't think this mod will resolve your problem even if you try shucking your HDD. It can be tried only if HDD isn't detected after taking off the casing.
As you've mentioned the HDD isnt' powering ON it must be some mechanical failure.
Some external casing supports only HDD upto certain capacity, you can always try some other external case or connecting directly onto SATA port.
you can also try swapping power adapter for the external case if available.
Umm, I was the seller mate, I dont have the drive in my hand, its with the buyer, am only trying to help him out here with possible means to power it on.

Back