CPU/Mobo Issues or non-issues with AM5 7800X3D?

enc0dex264

Disciple
I just wanted to get some opinions on what everyone else thinks about the issues i'm facing right now and whether they are experiencing the same thing or not?

1) Long start time for steam? eg: i goto the start menu.. type in steam.. and hit enter.. it takes about atleast 20-30 seconds to show the steam spash/login screen. is this just me or others have experienced similar behaviour?

2) Very long boot times compared to intel 13th gen.. I've used the same memory with my intel i7 13700KF in the past.. it takes about 30 seconds + to memory train itself everytime.. whereas intel is almost instant.. I use Microsoft teams in my browser for work.. sometimes it bugs out and a system restart is required for it to start working fine.. this has happened to me a couple of times now..

Memory is: 32GB x 2 - 6000 C30

how this effects me:
The work call starts.. teams doesnt work.. nomatter what i do in the browser.. deleting cookies/data history.. multiple browser restarts.. so then i take a sigh and hit restart.. after which my system takes atleast a min or more to get back into windows. so now my co-workers are sitting waiting for me to join.. its not a good look for me.. espcially because i have the most expensive hardware anyone can have for a task like joining a teams call.

3) fluctuating frequencies in core temp.

A little background.. my power mode in windows is set to max performance and min processor state is also 100%.. everything in bios is stock. I had hoped that it would work the same as my intel system.. where it was always pegged to the highest frequency it could do..

whereas my 7800X3D keeps chaning bus speeds.. frequency bouncing anywhere from 3500-4850 every second on all cores ?? ? whereas my 13700kf was always pegged to whatever frequencies i set or was stock.. on reddit i can see people even hit 5ghz on 7800x3d.. but i've never seen that?

my 7800x3d idles at 50-60 and around 70-75ish in games with a 360mm which i also find very odd? not sure what is going on here.. any help is appreciated.

Last edited:
1) Long start time for steam? eg: i goto the start menu.. type in steam.. and hit enter.. it takes about atleast 20-30 seconds to show the steam spash/login screen. is this just me or others have experienced similar behaviour?
Ever since Steam updated to the new UI, start up time has sky rocketed. Even shutting down takes longer than before. Workaround is to enable Steam to auto start with Windows

2) Very long boot times compared to intel 13th gen.. I've used the same memory with my intel i7 13700KF in the past.. it takes about 30 seconds + to memory train itself everytime.. whereas intel is almost instant.. I use Microsoft teams in my browser for work.. sometimes it bugs out and a system restart is required for it to start working fine.. this has happened to me a couple of times now..
Restoring memory context can make the system unstable.
I don't have a solution, but a workaround would be to enable memory retraining and set auto wake up alarm in BIOS, to 5 mins before your call schedule. That way it should be up and ready when you need it.

...I had hoped that it would work the same as my intel system.. where it was always pegged to the highest frequency it could do..
Intel will drop to the base clock speed under low load conditions by default, and boost to the highest required clock speed when loaded. This is a power saving feature. Like your car's RPM. Just because it can rev to xxxx doesn't mean it has to stay at that RPM all the time.

Unless you are running a slightly unstable overclock, this won't cause any noticeable issue in performance. Setting Min. Processor State to 100% will bypass this. I have mine set to 1%.

my 7800x3d idles at 50-60 and around 70-75ish in games with a 360mm which i also find very odd? not sure what is going on here.. any help is appreciated.
We live in a warmer country, so temps will alway be higher than what you see in benchmarks.
With AM5 and 13th gen run hot. Period. You can no longer use temperature as a metric - they are designed to run as hot as they can. As long as your benchmarks are within 1-2% of published ones (to rule out cooling issues), I wouldn't worry about it.

You need to google for some bios tweaks for your processor/mobo combo.

Memory is: 32GB x 2 - 6000 C30
Try one stick at a time in a different slot.

how this effects me:
The work call starts.. teams doesnt work.. nomatter what i do in the browser.. deleting cookies/data history.. multiple browser restarts.. so then i take a sigh and hit restart.. after which my system takes atleast a min or more to get back into windows. so now my co-workers are sitting waiting for me to join.. its not a good look for me.. espcially because i have the most expensive hardware anyone can have for a task like joining a teams call.
Try these..

A little background.. my power mode in windows is set to max performance and min processor state is also 100%.. everything in bios is stock. I had hoped that it would work the same as my intel system.. where it was always pegged to the highest frequency it could do..

whereas my 7800X3D keeps chaning bus speeds.. frequency bouncing anywhere from 3500-4850 every second on all cores ?? ? whereas my 13700kf was always pegged to whatever frequencies i set or was stock.. on reddit i can see people even hit 5ghz on 7800x3d.. but i've never seen that?
Frequency fluctuating is the norm and thats how these processors are designed to function. My 5600x fluctuates every micro sec. in core temp. I tried it both- power options min/max processor state set to 100% as well as 5 & 100%.

40c should be idle but given our Indian climatic conditions and your cooling option coupled with the cabinet type and fan air flow it will have different results unless you haven't applied thermal paste properly.
Your temps looks just fine to me.

Try on an aio or liquid cooling if cooling under 30c is a must.

You need to google for some bios tweaks for your processor/mobo combo.

Try one stick at a time in a different slot.

Try these..

Frequency fluctuating is the norm and thats how these processors are designed to function. My 5600x fluctuates every micro sec. in core temp. I tried it both- power options min/max processor state set to 100% as well as 5 & 100%.

40c should be idle but given our Indian climatic conditions and your cooling option coupled with the cabinet type and fan air flow it will have different results unless you haven't applied thermal paste properly.
Your temps looks just fine to me.

Try on an aio or liquid cooling if cooling under 30c is a must.
1705769344771.jpeg

this is literally how my system looks.. if these many fans and a 360mm aio in winters cannot keep it below 60 C at idle.. idk what will?

I spent a good 1 hour today.. repasted.. cleaned the radiator and put fans in pull also.. so now its a push pull.. its idling around 45 C now.. so that is atleast a good sign.. 45 C idle is way better i must say.

1705769442749.png

I have a 7800X3D, and this is what I keep my settings to:

1. Enable a negative CO as far as your cores allow you. I have mine set to -30 on all cores, which helps the CPU run cooler and boost a bit higher
  2. My SoC voltage is manually set to 1.2. System is stable.
  3. Keep MCR enabled, avoids memory retraining where possible, and system boots faster. I get no BSODs.
  4. I use the stock EXPO profile. Mine is also a 32 GB 6000Mhz CL30 kit.
  5. iGPU is enabled.

My idle temps are much lower, at around 37-39C. This is with a D15s.

Img.jpg

I have a 7800X3D, and this is what I keep my settings to:

1. Enable a negative CO as far as your cores allow you. I have mine set to -30 on all cores, which helps the CPU run cooler and boost a bit higher
  3. Keep MCR enabled, avoids memory retraining where possible, and system boots faster. I get no BSODs.
  5. iGPU is enabled.

My idle temps are much lower, at around 37-39C. This is with a D15s.

View attachment 188583

Mine not be aable to do -30 but even then those temps are way better compared to mine.. i think my cooler either has a really bad mount or something is wrong with it.

Mine not be aable to do -30 but even then those temps are way better compared to mine.. i think my cooler either has a really bad mount or something is wrong with it.
It depends on ambient too + idle fan speed + cpu paste/contact + maybe cpu lottery.
Currently, my idle temp is 42 with lowest being 40 in Mumbai.
Also - core temp and others i think can give slightly wrong temp numbers for some reason. Ryzen master should be correct.
Looking at your temps, I don't think there is any need to worry about this as long as your performance is within expected range. Just hide those numbers if they bother you too much.

Mine does not do -30 all core either. It works usually, need a good stress test to make it fail. prime 95 works well ( with small data i think so that we test the cores rather than the memory)
Generally best 2 cores( marked as star/circle in Ryzen Master) cannot be undervolted as much, probably because they are already factory tuned.
I had to manually tune it per core and get something that was stable enough and then i reduced everything by 5 just to be safe. So far that has worked well.
This only gives small bump in performance, like 1.2% or so. Temps i don't think changed much not sure.
But anyway, i used CO and then set max temp limit to 79C from 89C and i still get a 0.6-0.8% bump in performance.
Max temp can hit easily in all core workloads, it does in my work atleast.
My gaming temps are in mid/high 60s usually i think but they do spike to 70s.

I also tuned memory from a bulldzoid Hynix RAM guide + 6000C30 32gb @ 1.35V for ram and 1.2V for soc.

I have heard that more ram = more boot time, can test with one stick.
Memory context restore was auto by default on my motherboard ( gigabyte ds3h ) and i have not changed it as it works.
In early days, gigabyte had the best boot times as per HUB. Dont know what the situation is now and whether other boards have caught up.

Attachments

• 1705822500523.png
    1705822500523.png
    468.2 KB · Views: 19
  • 1705822643486.png
    1705822643486.png
    22 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
This is how he got those temps-
  5. iGPU is enabled.
And cabinet type also matters. @PunkX 75 which case you using?

This is how he got those temps-
  5. iGPU is enabled.
And cabinet type also matters. @PunkX 75 which case you using?
Lancool 216 :)

Back