Issues with my PC - XP Operating System

n_aditya

Disciple
Around 2 weeks back, my PC would boot normally but once the desktop loaded, the hourglass did not disappear and did not load the programs at startup. The desktop was frozen and none of the icons could be accessed as well.

Tried booting into safe mode but after all the files were loaded (multi (0) disk (0) message, the PC refused to enter into safe mode.

Reinstalled the OS and all the drivers etc. and the PC was working fine but for exactly a week or so.

Last week, I got the infamous blue screen of death message and the system used to reboot automatically in a loop.

I disabled to auto start feature to see the error message displayed when the blue screen of death popped up for a microsecond and it turned out that the error was "unmountable boot volume".

I deleted the "C" drive partition and formatted the partition as well before reinstalling the OS.

Now the desktop loads but at startup check disk automatically runs everytime (even with this feature turned off via my computer > c drive > properties > tools > error check.

The disk check completes and loads the desktop and i did not see any error screen. I may have missed it since i was not in front of the PC when the lengthy chkdsk process was running, but it did go to the desktop on its own without my requiring to see any error message and pressing any key to proceed to the desktop.

This is driving me nuts since its the second time in 2 weeks my home computer is getting sick. The computer is around 3-4 yrs old.

The PC comprises of:

1. Asus M3a78EM motherboard

2. 4 GB DDR-2 RAM (2GB x 2)

3. 1GB Nvidia 9600 GT graphics card

4. AMD Athlon processor - i cannot seem to recollect the specs

5. 1.0 TB Seagate HDD - all of the partitions have 40% space

I did notice the pc was making an unusually large amount of noise before it crashed earlier this week.

Please help me understand what the problem could be.

Thanks for your replies in advance.

Back