IT hardware industry moots hike in import duty of products- CNBC TV18 report

Is it true they might increase the duty on mobile phones as well. If yes then any idea when this policy might come into effect.

The body is also planning to hike price of foreign telecom products by 5-6 percent. Products like Blackberry and iPhone would see an increase in import duty. The logic that the industry bodies are looking for is foreign players now looking at setting up manufacturing hub, so that will increase investment and on the side it is also a way to increase manufacturing from domestic players and increase base for the industry in India.
or it could backfire quite badly. if i were a foreign player, it wouldn't hurt me much since there are virtually no indian players in hardware and software segments in most fields. it would hurt the consumer the most, who will have to shell out a lot more than before. Local players like hcl, wipro, etc are just assemblers and have no quality in their products. They import all their stuff from china or thailand. they will feel the effects of duty hike too. all in all, it seems like a pretty retarded plan - possibly made by the descendent's of an idiotic guy cutting the very branch of a tree on which he was sitting.

wait i dont get it. by increasing the import rates they are expecting companies like Samsung and lg to build manufacturing companies in india.if yes then that plan will defiantly back fire. china has manufactures due to the wage rate is less. not because of population. seriously WTF that is the shittiest logic.phones are hardly released in india and then this.great

Let the morons provide infra structure like power, roads, ports, then remove road blocks like bribery at every stage, and THEN ask the companies to increase manufacturing in India.

Back