PC Peripherals It took 9 fans to keep 3090+5800X cool!!! I can say "Air cooling FTW"

desiibond

Skilled
Till recently, I was happy with the cooling in my system. Here are the specs:

• CPU : 5800X
  • CPU cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED.
  • GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming 3070 Ti.
  • Mobo: ASUS TUF Gaming B450 Plus.
  • Cabinet: Lian Li Lancool 215X.
  • Cooling : stock fans (2x 200mm front intake, 1x 120mm rear exhaust).
After undervolting the CPU, temps would always be under 90degrees when I run Cinebench R23 and CPU utilisation was pretty good when I was gaming. Loads under 40% in games like Cyberpunk and temps under 75 degrees. But then this bad boy came home.
IMG_2951.jpeg

Few days ago, I could feel the hot air coming from the system and when I checked temps, CPU was hitting 85 degrees on 35% load (Cyberpunk 2077). It was time for me to finally put some effort to give my CPU better cooling. I was in a dilemma whether to go with AIO or with premium air cooler like the D15 or the Assassin 3 or 4. I almost almost went with the Galahad 360. For fans, there was only one choice. Lian-Li UniFan SL-Infinity. Daisy chaining is the best thing that happened to PC fans in 21st century (prove me wrong!!!).
But then as I looked more into Reddit, the more I saw posts on how the pumps fail on AIOs after 2 years or so, how there is always a risk of leaks that kills entire PC. Focus then shifted to air cooling. I almost purchased the D15 when my friends from TDF days asked me to look at DeepCool products as they match D15 in performance and cost almost half as much. In the end, put sense into buying and decided to go with AG620 ARGB.
Here is my haul from yesterday's trip to SP Road:
IMG_3205.jpeg

Out of these, I had to keep Strimers aside due to lack of room (Cabling headache). I will be using those once I upgrade to O11 Dynamic Evo XL. Look at the cluster mess (without having Strimers and their additional controllers). It took quite an effort to get this sorted.

IMG_3214.jpeg

But when I removed the Hyper 212, I realised why I this cooler is not so adequate for the 5800X now. Those ridges caused by heat pipes seems to have created tiny gaps.
IMG_3213.jpeg
IMG_3212.jpeg

Went ahead and installed the AG620. Trust me when I say this. Installing the AG620 was so easy that even my 7 year old can install this cooler. It was that easy, compared to the over engineered process or installing a Cooler master product.
Here is the final photo.
3 x Uni Fans : Front intake
1x Uni Fan : bottom intake
2x Uni Fan : Top exhaust
1x stock fan: Rear exhaust

IMG_3218.jpeg

I was literally shocked when I ran the benchmarks, especially the Cinebench R23. This is before the new cooling was setup.

photo_2023-07-29_14-53-20.jpg

This is after overhauling cooling
photo_2023-07-30_12-19-26.jpg

This is the shocker. This is the all time high score I got for Cinebench R23. 15901 on air cooling, with temperatures not going beyond 81 degrees. Do note that the CPU is undervolted with -30 offset. I think this can easily cross 16k score with little bit of memory overclocking.
cienbenchr23 high score.jpg

Last edited:
Arey grammar Naziyon, shocked does not only mean 'electric shock'. The word 'shock' existed before electricity came into use. Electric shock 'phrase' came into existence because a person goes into a state of 'shock' when he/she comes in contact with an electric current.

PS: I have used Grammarly to correct grammar and spellings in this reply, to make sure you feel happy. ;)

Arey grammar Naziyon, shocked does not only mean 'electric shock'. The word 'shock' existed before electricity came into use. Electric shock 'phrase' came into existence because a person goes into a state of 'shock' when he/she comes in contact with an electric current.
Bhai, kuch logon ko literally aur meraphor main farak nahi pata lagta.

But then as I looked more into Reddit, the more I saw posts on how the pumps fail on AIOs after 2 years or so, how there is always a risk of leaks that kills entire PC. Focus then shifted to air cooling.
Ya, unfortunately the bitter truth. AIS cannot be trusted as without giving any warning they die or leak out of nowhere. Very tragic and horrifying. Not everyones exp. but also not very uncommon.

I am a bit of novice when it comes to maintenence and fittings of the cabinet and all but wouldn't so many fans lead to excessive accumulation of dust and would make the cabinet to retain more moisture (if you live in a place like Delhi which has almost 80 % humidity all through the rainy season)
My pc cabinet has 2 front intake fans and one back exhaust fan and still has space to fit 3 extra 120mm fans (2 at the top and one more at back) but have covered to two at top with a paper nothing on the one that's left at the back...

Just thought. Of asking.... My usage is like a couple of hours a day, no gaming

Last edited:
If you were literally shocked, there may be a grounding issue with your power supply. :p

Jokes aside, congrats on the new solution. It looks great!

We literally use "literally" incorrectly.

Nice setup btw OP.

Literally hasnt meant "literally" for a long time now. its weird people nitpick this when they themselves are completely wrong about it. Literally wrong. lol

Here is an article from 10 years ago.

"Google’s definition for literally includes this: “Used to acknowledge that something is not literally true but is used for emphasis or to express strong feeling.”"

Merriam-Wesbter and Cambridge dictionaries have also added the informal, non-literal definition.

Here is the MW page for the definition -

": in effect : VIRTUALLY —used in an exaggerated way to emphasize a statement or description that is not literally true or possible - eg "will literally turn the world upside down to combat cruelty or injustice""

I am a bit of novice when it comes to maintenence and fittings of the cabinet and all but wouldn't so many fans lead to excessive accumulation of dust and would make the cabinet to retain more moisture (if you live in a place like Delhi which has almost 80 % humidity all through the rainy season)
My pc cabinet has 2 front intake fans and one back exhaust fan and still has space to fit 3 extra 120mm fans (2 at the top and one more at back) but have covered to two at top with a paper nothing on the one that's left at the back...

Just thought. Of asking.... My usage is like a couple of hours a day, no gaming

If there is positive pressure, dust won’t go in fe all those holes. There is dust filter at the bottom and the fine mesh at front too acts as dust filter. Yet reasonable amount of dust goes in. I clean once there is some level of dust.
baap re. That is almost like the price of a 5600x.
One time investment. Slowly upgrading for O11 Dynamic Evo XL.
Congratulations on the new card OP.
For cable management, I'll recommend you buy these cheap ones https://www.amazon.in/Essentials-Reusable-Double-Organizer-Length/dp/B07R99NBVB/ref=sr_1_8?keywords=cable+tie+velcro&qid=1690751031&sprefix=cable+tie+vel,aps,216&sr=8-8
I use them as I often have to change config since I'm no expert in building, but the velcro ties are strong and also easier to remove compared to cable ties.

I do have velcro straps. But the issue is that there are too many wires and not enough space in the back panel to route them. Have to spend some more time to sort it better. There is definitely no space to add another controller, so have to wait for new Lian Li cabinets to come to India.

Another update : Did a smoke test (agarbatti). Apparently the top exhaust fan that is closer to the CPU cooler is pulling some air that is coming into the case from front in-take. So, had to make the fan curve for these fans a bit lower, lower than the usual quiet mode. Now, majority of air coming from top half of front intake is going to the CPU cooler. The lower half intake is cleanly going to GPU, exactly how I intended it to go.

Last edited:
Back