I've got good news and bad news

tracerbullet

Skilled
I was at a press conference yesterday in Kolkata where our Union minister of communication and IT also happened to be present.
The good news is that Mr Dayanidhi Maran mentioned that the Indian governmment in collaboration with IBM and some unknown US-based company intend to set up five fabs plants in the country. That's bloody amazing!
Unfortunately it seems that Maran is out of touch with technology. These fab plants will apparently employ a "state-of-art" engineering process of 60 & 40 microns! haha is that a joke? 60 microns is 60,000 nanometres. Now, unless he's looking at washing machine microcontrollers in mind, I haven't the faintest idea where else a 60 micron chip will do any good.
Either that, or he made a blunder and infact meant 60nm. This could be the case because IBM is already working and smoothening out its 65nm process. Maran also mentioned that such a "state-of-art" fab costs approximately 2-3 billion dollars to set up. Well yes, a fabrication plant does indeed require such an amount of money, but only the ACTUAL state-of-art ones that use 90nm engineering processes!

Yeah must be 60nm...

I wonder when these projects actually take-off and how the benefit the end-users. If that means the FX series is going to get cheaper, then WOW ;)

Else, same old story...

Anish, don't look at the FX series getting cheaper. Look at it in this manner. We already have the capability of designing chips, now we'll have the capability of manufacturing them ourselves.

You don't think that will make any difference?

First we will manufacture them, later we will make our own.
Look at china, they've been manufacturing chips for some time, and their entire electronics market has taken off. They have their own DVD version, IPv9 etc. All this will come to us too.

tracerbullet said:
Anish, don't look at the FX series getting cheaper. Look at it in this manner. We already have the capability of designing chips, now we'll have the capability of manufacturing them ourselves.
Oh, sorry I was just trying to act funny, stupid me :ashamed:

Even if India designs its own chips, performance will be a question, and yeah, I dont think they will be able to catch up with the likes of AMD and Intel.

Now, if these companies decide to start manufacturing chips in India, then yes, it will have a great impact.

Otherwise this project will just turn into another R&D lab, where billions of rupees of taxpayers money is wasted.

Now thats a more logical reply :D !

anishcool said:
Even if India designs its own chips, performance will be a question, and yeah, I dont think they will be able to catch up with the likes of AMD and Intel.

Now, if these companies decide to start manufacturing chips in India, then yes, it will have a great impact.

The top architects in all these chip companies are mostly Indian. I think it's about time our indian companies make use of the talent available here.

Incidentally, I just heard that India lost a BIG, big deal to Israel. Intel had plans to set up a $ four billion fab plant in the country. It didn't work out apparently, so Israel has bagged the project. Another one bites the dust.

i read an article on extremetech how a cpu is built...and how the transister r placed even if a single transister fails the cpu is of no value......and it mentioned it takes a minimum of 2 billion dollar to set 1 fab labs....i guess india need to certainly think seriously abt it....becoz it will certainly mak things cheaper...but setting a fab lab i guess even if decided may tak minimum of 5yrs......thinking abt the corruption and to get the machines for the lab(in india) which no doubt will b available here....

^^ Exactly ! Even after all the corruption and all, if India makes a chip plant I don't think end-users will benefit cause most of the stuff will be exported, though a 10-15% drop in prices may be visible...

Back