PC Peripherals I've got StarIce !!!

Freaky

ex-Mod
Got the ASUS StarIce today for 1200. Am posting results b4 and after using StarIce. Also using AS5. All measurements at Max. fan speed for StarIce.

Idle Temps B4 StarIce ( At 3 in the noon ) :

Idle Temps after StarIce ( At 6.30 PM ) :

Load Temps after StarIce :

Load temps taken while running Stress Prime at Priority 10.

And a point to note for aspiring StarIce buyers. To say that the fan is noisy at Max speed is a GROSS UNDERSTATEMENT. It's like a running train at max speed.

Ur Voltages look dangerously low.!!!! (both the +12V and +5V)

AS5 will take nearly a month to show its optimum efficiency.

Did you apply AS5 as per the recommended way by the co. ??

if in doubts i suggest you clean (I.P.A or Nail polish remover) and reapply AS5.

The star ice really sucks man. Extremely messy setup, noisy as hell and I'm not too sure how good can 900 grams of dead weight be for your motherboard.

And it doesn't cool so well either. it'd be a lot better without all that jazzy plastic.

@Freaky - Where did u get it for 1200Rs , seriously wanted to know

tracerbullet said:
The star ice really sucks man. Extremely messy setup, noisy as hell and I'm not too sure how good can 900 grams of dead weight be for your motherboard.

And it doesn't cool so well either. it'd be a lot better without all that jazzy plastic.

@tracerbullet
Agreed
1.> Noisy as hell agreed at its above 50db and goes to 60db
2.> Also Heavy

Dont agree
1.> It does cool bro also its the only better solution available here.

Coolermaster ultra vortex has a crappy fan also doesnt cool better than starice.

We only have 2 quality coolers here starice and ultra vortex of which starice
is a better bet.

Last edited by a moderator:
@ Quad, check this link : http://www.techenclave.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5931

But the problem is he's got only one more piece which he will be selling for 1200. After that it's 2K. Also, NO BILL and NO WARRANTY.

@ Nikhil, to be honest with u, this is the first time that I've applied the right amt. of AS5. Will wait for 10 days or so. Then will try to contact Bottle and get his help in reapplying AS5 coz' he was willing to help me earlier but was busy.

@ Deejay, I've got the TP480. Do u think those volts r correct ? And yes, I did use the same procedure as recommended by AS.

UPDATE : Idle temps @ 6.30 AM :

IT also depends on the room temps. Yesterday, the temps in Chennai was in high 30's. It rained last night and things have cooled down considerably. Earlier, with the stock HSF, even if the temps were low as it is now, the idle temps would be around 41 or 42.

Re: ur temps,

it seems ur m/b sensors are "reading" low voltages. anyways to confirm it use a digital multimeter.
Re: AS5: i always repeat the procedure two or three times to get it right.

a) first apply a small quantity on the base of the heatsink. enough to cover the area which will be in contact with the core of the cpu. spread it thinly. this is to cover / fill the microscopic pits on the surface of the h/s.

b) apply a small bit of as5 in the centere of the core of the cpu. do not spread it.

c) fit the h/s properly. the weight and pressure of the heatsink will spread the AS5, which was on the core, nicely and evenly, then i twist the h/s lightly in both directions to release any air which might be trapped in between them.

d) Then keeping the m/b in the horizontal position , i.e. laying the tower case on its sides (Gravity helps), i switch on the m/c and run prime for about half an hour. this heats up the AS5 and spreads it properly. Then switch off the m/c for about 15 minutes to cool off AS5.

Then repeat the procedure of running prime for 30 minutes and switching off.
e) Then i remove the heatsink , with a tissue paper "only" i lightly remove the AS5 from the surface of the heatsink , leaving enough so that the dark gray colour of the AS5 is visible. Then apply a fresh coat of AS5 on the heat sink and spead it thinly as before.

on the cpu the second time i use nail polish remover to completely clean the cpu surface and put fresh AS5 on the centre of the cpu core. (At the centre the max heat is radiated / Transferred). lay the h/s on the cpu and twist it both sides to release any trapped air etc....

Then run the m/c for about a day in with the case in a horizontal position, to spead the AS5 evenly.

--------------------------------------

The above is the procedure i use normally for "my" m/c's. if needed i repeat the procedure multiple times till i get it right.
the main things to remember is this, "There should be no air between the h/s and cpu. Since air is a very good insulator it will restrict the heat transfer."

The thermal compound should be as thin as possible. enough to fill in the microspic pits and remove any air between the h/s and the cpu. actually AS5 (or any thermal compound) replaces this trapped air. replacing the heat insulator (air) with heat conductor (silver and other metal particles)
second thing to remember is that it takes about 15 ~ 30 days of frequent switching on / off of the m/c (Thermal cycling) for the AS5 to give optimum results. over a period of time you will notice a slight drop in temps ( a few "C"'s), provided other factors such as keeping the h/s and fan clean of clogged dirt are religiosly followed.
and yes on "AIR" cooling the ambient / room temps play a very important role.actually once you know the temperature differece between the cpu temps on idle load and the ambient / room temps. then you can make a fairly good judgement of the room temps just by reading the cpu temps on idle load. They scale proportionately.;) :D

Something that I've been thinking abt. I've an Antec TP480 which has an exhaust fan at the bottom. The StarIce can be fitted in any direction. I've been thinking abt. fitting the StarIce vertically instead of its usual horizontal position so that the TP's exhaust fan could exhaust the air from the StarIce. Also, I could feel lot of cool air coming from the front of the StarIce when its running at max speed. So if I fix the StarIce vertically, then the air from the fan would blow on the Graphic card thereby cooling it. I need ur opinions on this.

Hmmmm....try changing the noisy fan.....

i use a delta 40CFM rated at 3500RPM on my heatsink....i use it at 2K RPM thx to Q-Fan :D ) just 1-2* riseover the full speed of the fan..its noisy at full speed, but dead silent at 2K RPM....

yah..better....but cool air from the front?? u mean from the fan????

try fixing a second 80mm fan and lower the speed of the default fan so tht speeds of both are the same. then it'll be an ideal setup.

the front fan should be an intake right ? if you mount it facing the gfx card it could draw the hot air around the card and increase cpu temps ..

deejay said:
About 6 to 8 months since i do not change m/b and cpu too frequently.

Would you believe my 10 years old AS2 is only about 30% used as is my AS3 used for about 5 years. Used my AS5 since the last year only for two applications. :D

bottle said:
the front fan should be an intake right ? if you mount it facing the gfx card it could draw the hot air around the card and increase cpu temps ..

That's why I posted this here. I can feel cool air if I put my hand in front of the fan and warm air at the ban of the StarIce. And the air that I can feel from the front has force i.e I can really feel it hard against the back of my palm. And BTW, bottle, pls. try to help me if ur free buddy. I don't wanna waste the 1200+1000 bucks that I've so far spent for cooling purposes.

Back