Graphic Cards Jayztwocents said it may take another year before we start seeing 4xxx series cards from nvidia especially midrange

I've been quietly following the saga of him telling everyone to buy now and other tech youtubers disagreeing and now this follow up video along with the tweets and reactions and other comments of everyone else in between.

He is correct in saying as long as Nvidia existed as a company, they have never allowed themselves to sell any product at a loss.

They chose to burn the relationship they had with Apple rather than take partial financial responsibility for the failing graphics chips in Macbook Pros. That's when AMD stepped in and took their place and that's also when Apple decided they cannot rely upon third party vendors indefinitely and now years later we have M1/M2 chips. This whole timeline where Nvidia ended up being cut out of the largest computing segment (Apple laptops) is more preferable to them than saying "Sorry about the faulty chips, we'll take a 50% cut on the next batch" (hypothetical %) — they haven't ever expressed regret or revisited this decision in any shareholder earning's related call as far as I know.

So yeah, it's entirely possible we won't see a full 4000 series rollout for up to a year. Nvidia is not going to flood the market with new hardware when the old hardware remains unsold. The recent price drops on the top end has been uncharacteristic — when did we ever see a price drop on an Nvidia GPU? They just went out of stock at their old prices.

His point about not buying used gpu's is somewhat moral/ethics based (why would you monetarily reward the people who created the difficult situation that we're all in) but it's also important to consider the type of person who is selling GPU's in this market. They're not seasoned, experienced miners who have seen a fair share of highs and lows. They're people who got in the mining craze, expected a super quick ROI and are now bailing out. From what I've seen, these people either don't care or don't know how mining is properly done (undervolt, underclock). They'll boast about how many hashes they squeezed out of a rig and it is in those scenarios where memory degradation happens. Not in the controlled environment that other tech youtubers use to "debunk" this theory.

Even though he himself doesn't mine or allow his GPU's to be mined on, his staff are pretty enthusiastic miners. They mine on their personal rigs and their work rigs, just not on testing GPU's. Same with LTT by the way, those workstations are never turned off or allowed to sleep, they are always mining when not in actual use. So it's fair to say he knows what he's saying about memory degradation.

Some people are saying Nvidia won't remain silent with AMD's upcoming launch. What if AMD delays their launch for the same reason? They're out for profits too, as we've seen with their 4GB and x4 cards. It's possible they'll just sit on the new cards until they have a reason to announce them (competition from Nvidia).

Still, we are living in the weirdest and most unfathomable timeline humanity has ever seen so I guess at least it's an interesting one.

Time will tell but I'm also following the news and speculations and I also believe we're not going to see new GPUs soon and IMO that's good for us consumers. It basically means current gen hardware gets more usable life and won't be obsolete sooner. Newer games have to optimized according to current hardware availability and that means developers have to work in order deliver better product (games) which run fine on 16/20/30 series GPUs at least.

I strongly believe the reason why we get unoptimized games is because of advancement in GPU technology and such powerful GPUs have come out and those gaming companies just buy mid-range to high-end GPUs to test their games and say oh it's OK it runs 60fps on a 3070 so it's good.

Pushing out new hardware every year and generating more e-waste is not the way to go forward.

Agree. 4xxx series will take time to come and settle down just like 3xxx.
While the mining activity has reduced from single users, large-scale mining continues.
Prices are going to be very high for new launches. 3xxx series I feel wont get much price cuts at the time of release.
Unless AMD does a price cut, Nvidia will hold ground.

If you want to buy a GPU, buy now. This could easily be 1-2 years of saga and who knows for how long

I think that AMD is not gonna delay and in this response, Nvidia might delay (if they want to) by a couple of months. plus AIB partners will not produce and hold the stock for the sake of NVIDIA.

Nvidia already delayed the launch from August to September and that too will be launching the high end cards first 4090 and 4080....no way they will launch the mid and low end card this year as it will for sure eat their profits as no one will buy the higher end then.

Back